Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 251 of 332 FirstFirst ... 151 201 241 249 250 251 252 253 261 301 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,275 of 8289

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

There is one on eBay without the price blacked out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FIREMAN-...0AAOSwr~lYm~D1

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post

In the description though it states that the number (copy) you recieve may not be the one shown in the scan. So even though that one is not marked over, the one you recieve may be.
    Many of you know that I do love me some Joe Hill and am trying to build a nice collection, but the more I see this one the less I like it. Blurbs on the front and back aren't needed. It make it look... cheap and desperate. It will probably end up on my shelf someday but only as a result of Completism surpassing Desirability.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    M

In the description though it states that the number (copy) you recieve may not be the one shown in the scan. So even though that one is not marked over, the one you recieve may be.
    Many of you know that I do love me some Joe Hill and am trying to build a nice collection, but the more I see this one the less I like it. Blurbs on the front and back aren't needed. It make it look... cheap and desperate. It will probably end up on my shelf someday but only as a result of Completism surpassing Desirability.
    It's really sad. This edition is an example of classless book binding.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    M

I agree, Chris. Not high on the priority list of Hill gets. On another note; I have had good luck purchasing from the seller. Packages well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

is this book literally being judged by its cover?
    maybe i'll feel differently when i get my copy, but i don't get all the hate for it. Is there more to it than the dust wrapper?
    i might be in the minority, but i quite like the story and enjoyed the whole end of the world on an intimate scale aspect. Also, from what i have seen, it looks like Stoupakis knocked it out of the park on the illustrations - i think they look amazing. And, any shortcomings of the dust wrapper will be discreetly hidden by that killer painting on the slipcase.
    I dunno, i'm excited to add this one.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    maybe i'll feel differently when i get my copy, but i don't get all the hate for it. Is there more to it than the dust wrapper?
    i might be in the minority, but i quite like the story and enjoyed the whole end of the world on an intimate scale aspect. Also, from what i have seen, it looks like Stoupakis knocked it out of the park on the illustrations - i think they look amazing. And, any shortcomings of the dust wrapper will be discreetly hidden by that killer painting on the slipcase.
    Yes. Cover. Slipcase. Production values. Someone is getting lazy. If you put this with the sk anniversary editions. You would say. Why? Why? Why? The story was quite enjoyable but I have many many signed copies that I. Like way better

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Yes. Cover. Slipcase. Production values. Someone is getting lazy. If you put this with the sk anniversary editions. You would say. Why? Why? Why? The story was quite enjoyable but I have many many signed copies that I. Like way better
    I think we are judging the limited edition not the story itself. I think we all own a copy of the trade and it is most likely signed. We are discussing paying extra money (quite a bit compared to the signed trade) for the production values offered with this book. If it is anything like other PS books then the Slipcase will be flimsy cardboard, cheaper paper, and smaller than a trade book. Then for this individual book the dust jacket is very unappealing with the NY times quote and pen markings. Honestly the only thing going for this version of the book is the illustrations. If it were up to me I would rather just own a portfolio of the art signed by the artist that I can add with my signed trade book and I now have the best of both worlds, the book itself holds no value to me.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I think we are judging the limited edition not the story itself. I think we all own a copy of the trade and it is most likely signed. We are discussing paying extra money (quite a bit compared to the signed trade) for the production values offered with this book. If it is anything like other PS books then the Slipcase will be flimsy cardboard, cheaper paper, and smaller than a trade book. Then for this individual book the dust jacket is very unappealing with the NY times quote and pen markings. Honestly the only thing going for this version of the book is the illustrations. If it were up to me I would rather just own a portfolio of the art signed by the artist that I can add with my signed trade book and I now have the best of both worlds, the book itself holds no value to me.
    Well said!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Well said!

forgot to mention the signed sharpie or marker signature! The signature alone is driving me crazy.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Well said!

forgot to mention the signed sharpie or marker signature! The signature alone is driving me crazy.
    I don't actually have a copy so didn't even know that!

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I actually cancelled my order. I'm sure the book will be nice but I wouldn't have been happy with it.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The Fireman [hardcover] By Joe Hill [DEFECT]
    Stock Status : Out of Stock
    £30.00
    £70.00

http://pspublishing2.com/the-fireman...fect-817-p.asp

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I'm in the middle to some degree on this one...I really like the art and the blurbs on the back don't bother me, nor does the Sharpie signature, etc. But it is an awfully busy cover, and, worse, there are some poor typesetting choices on the cover and spine. Why is NUMBER ONE capitalized...some here have mentioned an air of desperation, of oversell, and I think that's true here. Why is "Bestselling" capitalized? It's not part of the "New York Times" name, and if one is capitalizing the first letter of all the words, then why not "novel"...? Why is "WORLD" and "BURN" larger than "THE" and "WILL"...I get that someone's trying to be a little creative, but it's a bit of a dated method to do so...plus the ellipsis points (. . .) just look unprofessional, amateurish. Perhaps worst, and my eyes can't get past it, is on the cover and spine it looks like -- because the font and size are *exactly* the same and far, far too close together (only the color is slightly different) -- it reads THE JOE FIREMAN HILL.

I love Joe Hill's work (though, honestly, I didn't think too much of THE FIREMAN...very disappointed, actually). I collect Joe Hill. But I passed on this one as the Goldsboro signed/numbered UK HC w/ red edgestain (essentially a dolled-up UK trade) with fantastic aftermarket slipcase was bought first, and after seeing the final product of the PS edition I have no desire to replace my UK HC with this one. PS's art aside, even the UK trade HC is a more impressive, pleasing edition than this one costing three times as much. For me, a limited edition at this price point needs to offer production values that exceed every other volume available in order to justify its expense...in this case, however, it falls short in that comparison on just about every level. Really a shame -- and to be fair, not indicative of PS' work across the board...they have, in fact, released some nice-looking books, especially in the last few years, it seems, but do they do falter in some instances, and this is certainly one of them.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

got it. perhaps time will be kinder to this one as it looks like there are a few things that im optimistic about (yes, I love that art on this one that much). still looking forward to adding it to the shelves.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    I'm in the middle to some degree on this one...I really like the art and the blurbs on the back don't bother me, nor does the Sharpie signature, etc. But it is an awfully busy cover, and, worse, there are some poor typesetting choices on the cover and spine. Why is NUMBER ONE capitalized...some here have mentioned an air of desperation, of oversell, and I think that's true here. Why is "Bestselling" capitalized? It's not part of the "New York Times" name, and if one is capitalizing the first letter of all the words, then why not "novel"...? Why is "WORLD" and "BURN" larger than "THE" and "WILL"...I get that someone's trying to be a little creative, but it's a bit of a dated method to do so...plus the ellipsis points (. . .) just look unprofessional, amateurish. Perhaps worst, and my eyes can't get past it, is on the cover and spine it looks like -- because the font and size are *exactly* the same and far, far too close together (only the color is slightly different) -- it reads THE JOE FIREMAN HILL.

I love Joe Hill's work (though, honestly, I didn't think too much of THE FIREMAN...very disappointed, actually). I collect Joe Hill. But I passed on this one as the Goldsboro signed/numbered UK HC w/ red edgestain (essentially a dolled-up UK trade) with fantastic aftermarket slipcase was bought first, and after seeing the final product of the PS edition I have no desire to replace my UK HC with this one. PS's art aside, even the UK trade HC is a more impressive, pleasing edition than this one costing three times as much. For me, a limited edition at this price point needs to offer production values that exceed every other volume available in order to justify its expense...in this case, however, it falls short in that comparison on just about every level. Really a shame -- and to be fair, not indicative of PS' work across the board...they have, in fact, released some nice-looking books, especially in the last few years, it seems, but do they do falter in some instances, and this is certainly one of them.
    Great review, Ron. Although I'll end up with it eventually; by no means a priority and I feel they can be picked up aftermarket on the cheap later on.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

...as the Goldsboro signed/numbered UK HC w/ red edgestain (essentially a dolled-up UK trade) with fantastic aftermarket slipcase..
    Love the Goldsboro as well, but stupidly missed out on the slipcase- if anyone happens to have an extra...

Ron

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    ...as the Goldsboro signed/numbered UK HC w/ red edgestain (essentially a dolled-up UK trade) with fantastic aftermarket slipcase..
    Love the Goldsboro as well, but stupidly missed out on the slipcase- if anyone happens to have an extra...

Ron
    You can get it from Jeff. He still makes them, just email him HERE

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post

Ron
    You can get it from Jeff. He still makes them, just email him HERE
    Thanks, but I did contact Jeff a couple of months ago and he said he was out with no real plans on making any more. He said he'd keep my info in case he got enough requests to make more, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope..

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. Didn't know that. Probably due to it being a 2 color. It's a very difficult process for 2 colors. I would be interested in one for my Goldsboro but I was waiting until the IT case was finalized by Simon. Maybe if we both ask he will who knows

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Yes, just to confirm: The aftermarket slipcase that I mention I purchased was indeed the one from Jeff. Absolutely first rate work…it's my first slipcase from him, but seeing the quality I received, I doubt it will be my last.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Interesting. Didn't know that. Probably due to it being a 2 color. It's a very difficult process for 2 colors. I would be interested in one for my Goldsboro but I was waiting until the IT case was finalized by Simon. Maybe if we both ask he will who knows
    Yes, if anyone else out there is interested, please do email Jeff. Maybe we can goose him into another run...

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone have a photo of the copyright page for the chapbook Better Than Home? Thanks!

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Does anyone have a photo of the copyright page for the chapbook Better Than Home? Thanks!
    Are you talking to that guy on eBay...? I emailed back and forth with him yesterday and I still have no idea if he has a 1st or 2nd printing. So I bought something a little bigger from him instead...

Anyway, if you want the 2nd printing, I can get that pic for you.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

It looks like the Darkside comic collection has been postponed till March.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Sorry this is so poor...my iPhone is out of charge, as is my Canon camera, so I had to use the built-in webcam in my computer. I've always assumed this is a 1st as it doesn't otherwise indicate it is not or that it is (or there exists) a subsequent printing(s).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 251 of 332 FirstFirst ... 151 201 241 249 250 251 252 253 261 301 ... LastLast