Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 332 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 8289

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The page at the end giving details about the edition and type is called a colophon.

I'm hoping to go to the signing in Naperville on Friday, but not positive I will be able to make it yet.
    Mark Twain

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    The page at the end giving details about the edition and type is called a colophon.
    Yes it is, but JH added quite a bit of verbiage about the font choice, and tied in a story about it. So it's quite a bit more than the standard boilerplate colophon.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, I just picked up a copy yesterday and haven't even opened it yet.
    Mark Twain

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...uide-joe-hill/

Check out this link - another recent interview from wired magazine - the really cool thing though - scroll just below the photo on left hand side - there is the link to subscribe to RSS feed or Itunes podcasts - there are over 85 interviews - it is under the heading wired: the geeks guide to the galaxy. Check out Howey, Martin, Anne Rice, just to name a few.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got my signed copy from VJ Books - they did use a regular Priority Envelope, but the book was wrapped in many layers of bubble wrap, so it was fine.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I just saw this article, not sure if it's been posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/joe-h...witter_vulture
    Excellent interview. Owen and Joe present themselves as thoughtful, intelligent, and independent young men.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    "Prior to the 19th century, the deckle edge was unavoidable, a natural artifact of the paper making process in which sheets of paper were made individually on a deckle. The deckle could not make a perfect seal against the screen at the edges and the paper slurry would seep under creating a rough edge to the paper.The deckle edge could be trimmed off, but this extra step would add to the cost of the book. Beginning in the early 1800s with the invention of the Fourdrinier machine, paper was produced in long rolls and the deckle edge became mostly obsolete: although there was some deckle on the ends of the rolls, it was cut off, and the individual sheets cut out from the roll would have no deckle in any case.

With the appearance of smooth edges in the 19th century, the deckle edge slowly emerged as a status symbol. Many 19th century presses advertised two versions of the same book with a smooth and a higher priced deckle version, it suggested the book was made with higher quality paper, or more refined methods. This tradition carried forward into the 20th and 21st centuries. Today modern deckle is created by a purpose-built machine to create the appearance of a true deckle edge by cutting a smooth edge into patterns. Many modern readers are unfamiliar with the deckle edge and may see it as a defect; for example, Amazon.com has left notes to buyers that the deckle is not a flaw in the product."
    Who knew that using the wrong word on the type of paper edge would bring about a discussion. Great info Eric! Thanks!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone going to the Lodo Denver signing?

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This just came in the mail today:

The back is great:

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry the photos were crappy - just took them quickly with phone while they were in the bag

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

NICE STUFF KINGFAN 24..........

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So after seeing all of the cool personalized copies of NOS4A2, I decided I would like to try and get one for me. I don't have a Joe Hill book signed to me yet. Anyone going to a signing that might be able to help me out? Please PM me if you can.

Thanks.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

So after seeing all of the cool personalized copies of NOS4A2, I decided I would like to try and get one for me. I don't have a Joe Hill book signed to me yet. Anyone going to a signing that might be able to help me out? Please PM me if you can.

Thanks.
    Hi,
    Im going on May 21st so if you dont get one before then drop me a pm and let me know what you would like it to say. If you pm me the weekend before, the 18th- 20th i can get one inscribed to you on the 21st.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post

Thanks.
    Hi,
    Im going on May 21st so if you dont get one before then drop me a pm and let me know what you would like it to say. If you pm me the weekend before, the 18th- 20th i can get one inscribed to you on the 21st.
    Thanks - RF is going to try to get a copy for me on 5/15, so if that falls through, I will let you know.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished reading NOS4A2 last night. I thought it was pretty flippin' awesome, personally.

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know anywhere that might still have copies of the Sub Press limited edition of NOS4A2 for sale/ order? I don't know why I didn't get round to ordering it from Sub Press, a decision I am seriously regretting having read the book which I think is excellent.
    Thanks.

Gunslinger Apprentice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jon10g View Post
    I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know anywhere that might still have copies of the Sub Press limited edition of NOS4A2 for sale/ order? I don't know why I didn't get round to ordering it from Sub Press, a decision I am seriously regretting having read the book which I think is excellent.
    Thanks.
    Jon, try contacting David at Betts books. I know he ordered several copies from Subterranean for his customers. There's always a chance someone cancelled his/her order.
    Best- Marco

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Thanks.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just in case anyone is curious:
    It seemed (to me anyway) that there was a pretty heavy promotional effort behind the pre-ordering of signed copies from Water Street Books leading up to the release. Out of curiosity I asked them how many pre-orders they received and they replied that it was just under a thousand.

I actually thought it would have been a lot more.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's some art from Rodriguez on Subterranean's LE (in various stages of completion) Also, just to ask in advance, if possible can people mark NOS4A2 spoilers (I just started reading it)?

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love that art, especially having read the novel. Thanks for posting it!

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I went to the reading last night here in Denver and it was great! Joe was really funny and told a lot of funny stories about the King family, how he got into writing, and other tales. I
    really enjoyed meeting him as this was my first signing. He signed my NOS4A2, Gunpowder, and Lock & Key #1. He did doodles in NOS4A2 and Gunpowder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 332 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 ... LastLast