Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 235 of 332 FirstFirst ... 135 185 225 233 234 235 236 237 245 285 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 8289

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Marco just PMed you.

Gunslinger Apprentice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Time to share my story of the events in Liverpool and Manchester. I flew from Amsterdam to Liverpool in the morning of the 8th with plenty of time to get to Waterstones where Joe was doing a signing. My trolley loaded with books, mostly paperback editions and magazines but also a 1st/1st of the 'regular' white paged UK Fireman (obviously learned from my experience at the NOS4R2 tour 3 years ago that one cannot depend on finding 1st printings at these signings . Prior to my trip I emailed the store asking them to reserve a copy of the red paged signed edition for me.
    There were a couple of people already waiting and I picked up my reserved copy. When it was my turn, Joe was kind enough to sign a couple of books and I had my picture taken with him. Since the queue wasn't very long I decided to get back in line for 'seconds', I was one of the last in the queue. Joe signed another couple of books and shortly thereafter the signing was finished. The small number of people attending the signing really surprised me, I think no more than 50 people were present and most of them were people that picked up a copy of the book during their lunch break.
    After a stroll through Liverpool I went on my way to the train station to get to Manchester were Joe was doing a reading and signing in the evening. It wasn't sold out, there were some 100 people present. The nice thing about this event was that the ticket included a copy of the book as well as a beer, all for 15 quid (cheaper than the list price of the book mind you!).
    Joe did a little introduction where he mentioned he'd read a section from the book followed by a musical interlude and concluded with a Q&A session, the musical interlude was needed as he thought no one would want to listen to him talk for an hour straight. Thanks to all the posts on the board I obviously knew what was coming
    Joe read the snowball fight section and when he was finished asked for some volunteers. If no one would volunteer, he'd pick a couple of people from the audience. He said he'd rather see some of us do the right thing so I sacrificed myself and got picked for his Kazoocestra. The rest of the audience received a sheet with lyrics for a sing-along. It was such a fun thing to do, lots of laughs and in the end I got to keep the kazoo (which was of course the only reason I volunteered making an arse of myself in the first place).
    After the Q&A, people queued to get their copy of the book signed and I had the last of the books & magazines I brought signed as well as the lyrics sheet and kazoo. Another 'Kodak' moment and then I left the building for my trip back to the hotel in Liverpool. All in all a tiring but satisfying day. In the end I had more than 15 items signed and had a great time. I only regret that I dind't get to meet any fellow boardies (was anyone there????) I'm already looking forward to next time!!
    Looking for lettered Voluntary Committal (Subterranean)

If you collect Joe Hill, check out my website http://www.joehillbibliography.com/

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, great story! Any photos?

Gunslinger Apprentice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Photo taken from the back of the engine hall at the People's History Museum in Manchester. I was sitting on the front row in the center

The Kazoocestra

Yours truly

If you collect Joe Hill, check out my website http://www.joehillbibliography.com/

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw that in the back of Tales from the Darkside. Made me wonder if the title was taken from his mother's novel of the same name.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I'm about 150 pages into THE FIREMAN, and it's certainly not the barreling-down-the-tracks heap o' fun that NOS4A2 was, and I'm finding myself a little impatient with the book. So far it's been a lot of background, flickers of characters that come and go, and a lot of martial drama for the female protagonist...all stuff that would seem to have been able to be summed up in a few brief pages. It's now transitioning into a camp setting, and it just feels...flat. I love character development as much as the next guy and I'm all in for a slow-burn (if you'll excuse the pun) narrative...but this just seems a bit much as the female protagonist, frankly, isn't interesting enough thus far to carry that load, nor are there any other interesting characters to latch one's empathy upon. The mystery of the Fireman seems less a mystery and just yet another aberration among many (glowing people, etc.)...and a supernatural thriller without mystery, without wonder, is a rather uninspired read. I'm sticking with it, though, as Hill has never disappointed (though HORNS came close), and so has built up a lot of goodwill and confidence in his work with me. So I'm in for the long haul...I just hope it starts clicking pretty soon. Right now it just feels like an overly long, tired prologue to the Good Stuff, and comes across like a book that will be instantly forgettable. To be honest, I am truly stunned at my reaction at this book, as Hill is one of my favorite authors...but this one -- so far -- just isn't doing it for me. I sure hope that changes.

On a positive note, if my collectoritis allows me to do it, I may save myself a couple hundred dollars as my need to pick up the PS S/L has been dampened considerably.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    I'm about 150 pages into THE FIREMAN, and it's certainly not the barreling-down-the-tracks heap o' fun that NOS4A2 was, and I'm finding myself a little impatient with the book. So far it's been a lot of background, flickers of characters that come and go, and a lot of martial drama for the female protagonist...all stuff that would seem to have been able to be summed up in a few brief pages. It's now transitioning into a camp setting, and it just feels...flat. I love character development as much as the next guy and I'm all in for a slow-burn (if you'll excuse the pun) narrative...but this just seems a bit much as the female protagonist, frankly, isn't interesting enough thus far to carry that load, nor are there any other interesting characters to latch one's empathy upon. The mystery of the Fireman seems less a mystery and just yet another aberration among many (glowing people, etc.)...and a supernatural thriller without mystery, without wonder, is a rather uninspired read. I'm sticking with it, though, as Hill has never disappointed (though HORNS came close), and so has built up a lot of goodwill and confidence in his work with me. So I'm in for the long haul...I just hope it starts clicking pretty soon. Right now it just feels like an overly long, tired prologue to the Good Stuff, and comes across like a book that will be instantly forgettable. To be honest, I am truly stunned at my reaction at this book, as Hill is one of my favorite authors...but this one -- so far -- just isn't doing it for me. I sure hope that changes.

On a positive note, if my collectoritis allows me to do it, I may save myself a couple hundred dollars as my need to pick up the PS S/L has been dampened considerably.

You've summed up very well my feelings towards The Fireman exactly .

I've just reached the 50% mark, and whilst I will also stick with this because I have enjoyed all of Joe's previous books, the story is not compelling enough at the moment to have me looking forward to reaching the section half of the book.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind. Let's say I didn't love it, I liked it. Overall I much preferred NOS4A2 over The Fireman. I'm reading Horns now, the only one of the novels I hadn't read yet.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind. Let's say I didn't love it, I liked it. Overall I much preferred NOS4A2 over The Fireman. I'm reading Horns now, the only one of the novels I hadn't read yet.
    Horns was one of my favorites!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm loving it so far. Started yesterday and already on page 244.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

66% of the way there on The Fireman - definitely my least favorite Hill novel to date.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind.
    Oh jeez, don't say that...I was hoping the second half would be better. At about 275 pages now; less than halfway, I believe, and was muddling through with the expectation that it picks up. Now, oh boy...

To add to my thoughts above, I think part of the problem is that there is not yet any true conflict. I think my earlier reference to the story being "flat" was a reflection that, when all is said and done, there is no conflict yet. It's a group of people of just...doing things and worrying. The only tension and conflict was contained within a few pages about the history of Harold, but that passed all to quickly. I hope this story is going somewhere, because right now it just feels like a group of poorly defined characters meandering around, looking for a plot.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, well finish it and then let's see what you think. I'd be interested to hear your final opinion. Just for me I felt it was slow going for a while there in the second half.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi team. What you say is the value of first edition, signed, of Nos4a2? Thank you.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

About $70-80? Maybe a touch more if it has a doodle?

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would agree - I was thinking 50-70. Let's be honest, there are a LOT of signed Hill books out there. You had the publisher signed copies, then all of the ones he signed on that tour, then all of the ones people brought to him to sign on this tour, etc. We've always joked that the true rarity is the unsigned first printing

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

What type of value would you guys place on the lettered IDW nos4a2?

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading Horns. It's absolutely brilliant. I had no idea it was this good. I feel as if I could gush for an hour over it. If you haven't read it, you're missing out. Magnificent.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I also loved Horns Paul. It's my second favorite of his novels after NOS4A2. Such a cool concept and glad you enjoyed it!
    I'm inclined to lean towards the other folks when it comes to The Fireman. I did like it and thought it was a good read, it just didn't grab me like some of the others.
    My favorite book is 20th Century Ghosts. I love a good short story and many of these were original and fun. I think one of his best short stories was Twittering From the Circus of the Dead. Not much creeps me out anymore but that one genuinely gave me the chills.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Just finished reading Horns. It's absolutely brilliant. I had no idea it was this good. I feel as if I could gush for an hour over it. If you haven't read it, you're missing out. Magnificent.

That is the only full length book that i loved of Joe hills! can someone point me to the wired article with Joe Hill. searching at work......

I told Paul to read the article it puts an interesting spin on my favorite book!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

That is the only full length book that i loved of Joe hills! can someone point me to the wired article with Joe Hill. searching at work......

I told Paul to read the article it puts an interesting spin on my favorite book!!!
    Is this the one you are looking for?

http://www.wired.com/2013/05/geeks-guide-joe-hill/

Country
    Country Flag

Reaching out to fellow boardies that live in Canada!!!

I'd like to order a copy of a signed The Fireman from Indigo. Unfortunately they don't ship to The Netherlands. Please drop me a note if you're willing to help out.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So - I have a few extra goodies to sell - thought I'd see if there's any interest here before going the eBay route.

First up is the PS signed limited edition of 20th Century Ghosts, #167 of only 200 slipcased copies, MUCH rarer than the 500 copy state.

Then, Saved, also PS, copy #182 signed limited edition. Please PM me if interested, or for photos. Both books in fine condition, like new.
    Looking for the following lettered editions: Dark Forces, 999, Crown of Shadows (Hill)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 235 of 332 FirstFirst ... 135 185 225 233 234 235 236 237 245 285 ... LastLast