Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 242 of 332 FirstFirst ... 142 192 232 240 241 242 243 244 252 292 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 8289

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I really respect all the people who are legit fans of Joe's work - and I really liked his short stories.

But I feel like his novels have gone right to his father's worst excesses but without the interval of a 40-year career. Overwritten, underedited, cliched, memodramatic, too cute for school references...I dunno...I really don't like them. These authors need editors to be like "no, the first Stand reference - okay, cute. The tenth? Nope."

I guess I'm the jerk - but not a fan of his novels - love the short stories (and Horns, which I felt was very tight).
    I feel as if we need to see how his next few novels shape up in order to see if there are any trends in his writing. We only have 4 novels to go on. I think that with many authors, it's tough to hit a home run on every novel they write. For me, I felt NOS4A2 and Horns were so good as to not turn me off of his writing at all. Just with those two novels, he has my respect as a writer. So it will be interesting to see what he produces in the future.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

It's midnight here in the NorthEast and I'm back on the train and heading home. Very fun event in Brookline. Malerman was a no-show, but Hill, Howard, Heuvelt and Tremblay were in great form. They asked each other questions for about a half hour and seemed to have alot of fun with that. Then there was audience qustions for another 20 or 30 minuets. Then the signings.

The best part for me was being down the street before the event, talking with a couple that I had met last month in Portsmouth when Tremblay, Howard, and Heuvelt came up to us. Turns out they all know each other and were meeting for supper at the resteraunt we were in front of. I ended up hanging out with them all for 15 or 20 minuets while they waited for one more person. Very nice folks!

That's about it, too tired for much more now. Will try to get a pic of my "new and improved" Fireman posted tomorrow.
    Yup, got the pheonix doodle.
    Chris
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    It's midnight here in the NorthEast and I'm back on the train and heading home. Very fun event in Brookline. Malerman was a no-show, but Hill, Howard, Heuvelt and Tremblay were in great form. They asked each other questions for about a half hour and seemed to have alot of fun with that. Then there was audience qustions for another 20 or 30 minuets. Then the signings.

The best part for me was being down the street before the event, talking with a couple that I had met last month in Portsmouth when Tremblay, Howard, and Heuvelt came up to us. Turns out they all know each other and were meeting for supper at the resteraunt we were in front of. I ended up hanging out with them all for 15 or 20 minuets while they waited for one more person. Very nice folks!

That's about it, too tired for much more now. Will try to get a pic of my "new and improved" Fireman posted tomorrow.
    Yup, got the pheonix doodle.
    Chris
    Congrats, Chris on scoring the doodle!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

If you are an Amazon Prime member they are discounting The Fireman to $11.89 right now!!!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    If you are an Amazon Prime member they are discounting The Fireman to $11.89 right now!!!
    I bought one at 6pm. They shipped at 9pm. It arrived with the mail just now, 11am. That's the fastest book delivery I've ever experienced out of thousands.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's amazing. Their same day delivery always astounds me. I've ordered items in the morning and by late afternoon or early evening they are delivered.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

this interview was recorded on June 21, the last night of the tour in S. Portland Me. Nothing earth-shattering but still a pretty good interview.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/207/...eman/270876895
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ISO my 2 missing Joe Hill proofs: UK NOS4A2 and UK Fireman. Anyone with an extra or leads, please let me know!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

this interview was recorded on June 21, the last night of the tour in S. Portland Me. Nothing earth-shattering but still a pretty good interview.

Any chance of seeing your Phoenix doodle, Chris or is it just like mine?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

Any chance of seeing your Phoenix doodle, Chris or is it just like mine?
    It's like yours but in a different location up over the title. Might take a day or two but will try.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I really respect all the people who are legit fans of Joe's work - and I really liked his short stories.

But I feel like his novels have gone right to his father's worst excesses but without the interval of a 40-year career. Overwritten, underedited, cliched, memodramatic, too cute for school references...I dunno...I really don't like them. These authors need editors to be like "no, the first Stand reference - okay, cute. The tenth? Nope."

I guess I'm the jerk - but not a fan of his novels - love the short stories (and Horns, which I felt was very tight).
    I feel as if we need to see how his next few novels shape up in order to see if there are any trends in his writing. We only have 4 novels to go on. I think that with many authors, it's tough to hit a home run on every novel they write. For me, I felt NOS4A2 and Horns were so good as to not turn me off of his writing at all. Just with those two novels, he has my respect as a writer. So it will be interesting to see what he produces in the future.
    It took me a while to finish THE FIREMAN. Personally I liked it, but I didn't love it. Not sure if it was me or the book, but I felt like there were a lot of extraneous supporting characters that I just didn't care about at all. I think a shorter version of this novel could be excellent because I really liked the premise and the main story.

I'm still a huge Joe Hill fan, and I didn't hate the book, but this is at the bottom of my personal high ranking of his work.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

my updated Fireman with phoenix doodle...

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Chris!

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome doodle!!

Country
    Country Flag

That's for sharing, Chris. Pretty cool that he was pretty much able to duplicate it. Did you have to show him a picture or did he do it from memory?

All from memory and the table was pretty crazy with all four of the authors sitting within a 6' space. I was handing out books to all 4 at the same time and trying to converse as well! Crazy but alot of fun!
    Very pleased

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's what a Barnes & Noble gift card got me. Yay!

Bought one from Cemetery Dance, too. Will post pics of that soon.

WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

According to the rep, only three stores have copies of these left. Texas, Alaska, and New York. I got mine from the Frisco, Texas store. Zip code 75034

Nice people, too.
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eads View Post
    According to the rep, only three stores have copies of these left. Texas, Alaska, and New York. I got mine from the Frisco, Texas store. Zip code 75034

Nice people, too.
    Congrats!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool phoenix, Chris.

Congrats on the signed edition from B&N!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So it looks like next week the PS edition of The Fireman will finally be dropping(I hope pete wasn't teasin!). We've talked a lot about it, who's going to end up getting one?
    I am. I really like the artwork they have shown so far.

It will all depend on price. I know that I will want one, and that the prices rarely ever goes down later, but if it is over the $200 range for a GE, then I would probably have to pass for now.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It will all depend on price. I know that I will want one, and that the prices rarely ever goes down later, but if it is over the $200 range for a GE, then I would probably have to pass for now.
    If I recall correctly the Deluxe 20th Century Ghosts hovered at the $200 mark so I'm guessing this might be the same or close to it. Maybe without a DVD and printed cards it will swing a little cheaper but I'm guessing not.

Country
    Country Flag

Lucky for us, they price them in pounds.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I doubt it'll be a GE; Hill signs everything, so there's every reason to believe this'll be a true S/L. Pete may do a trade, but I'd be surprised, frankly, given how many signed trade copies there are out there already. I'm a big Hill fan, but was not pleased with this work, as I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread, so while I was all set to grab a PS copy as soon as it appeared before I read the thing, I'm not very lukewarm on the idea now that I've read it and will probably pass (even though the art shown has been great). I wonder if my experience is similar to others, and given the profusion of signed copies out there combined with the lukewarm reception of the book from many here and elsewhere if Pete made a mistake by not having his limited appear before the trade (whether intentional or dictated-by-circumstances).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 242 of 332 FirstFirst ... 142 192 232 240 241 242 243 244 252 292 ... LastLast