Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 332 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

from Joe Hill's twitter feed: "but teacher, I don't understand. I was good. Why do I have to write my name over and over 5000 times?"

I got a kick out of it & thought I'd share. Anyone here who uses twitter his username is Joe_Hill & posts things there several times a day.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone familiar with CGC graded comics and the "Joe Hill phenomenon" comment on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOCKE-KEY-1-CGC-...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this price "about right," "way too low" or "way too high"?

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Can someone familiar with CGC graded comics and the "Joe Hill phenomenon" comment on this?

Bob -

I've never been much of a comic collector, but one thing I know about those folks - they'll bend over backwards for a CGC 10 graded comic. My guess is that it could go up to $350 by the time the auction closes.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

Bob -

I've never been much of a comic collector, but one thing I know about those folks - they'll bend over backwards for a CGC 10 graded comic. My guess is that it could go up to $350 by the time the auction closes.
    That is what I think too. Getting a comic graded "10" by CGC is next to impossible.

I collect comics from the 1940's and 1950's with Carl Barks artwork (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Walt Disney's Comics & Stories, etc.). I tend to stay away from CGC graded books. I like to take mine out and read them from time to time, even the ones that are VF and higher. If you are careful there is no problem. The encased (or slabbed) CGC graded comics can't be read which, to me, is the reason for collecting them.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Turtlex is very knowledgeable about current comics and is a collector of CGC-graded comics, so I look forward to her thoughts on this.

My understanding is that the L&K comic books are generally receiving higher grades from CGC than you typically see. That is credited to the production values (higher quality paper, etc.) of IDW - much higher than you normally see in standard comic books. All that said, a 10 is a 10 and remains a coveted grade for the collectors who care about those things.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob -

It went for $455! Man, are we collecting the wrong thing?

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post

Bob -

It went for $455! Man, are we collecting the wrong thing?
    My wallet says no!

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For the Joe Hill Fans:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-Heart-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I am not sure if this is a good price or not...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I paid $100 for mine a couple years ago. It's still in the original shrinkwrap.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I have no clue where the market for that book is currently at, but I know I got mine about a year and a half ago at that price and it was additionally signed.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I paid $100 for mine a couple years ago. It's still in the original shrinkwrap.

John
    Same, I bought mine new when it was released for the same price.

btw, Joe hill has a comic in the new Grave Tales (issue 6). I just got it last night, but I haven't read it yet.
    Geoff

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hey All -

Just a couple of things...

Joe Hill's Locke & Key comics are really high grade, and it's not unusual to see them graded 9.9 or even 10. I've seen more than a few.

As a matter of fact, the 9.9's are getting rather common. It must be high grade covers from IDW.

Honestly, I've never seen a group of comics graded so high, so consistently. A quick look at eBay right now find a lot of them.

There's even one graded 10 with a BIN of around 200 /or make a Best Offer : http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-10-0-Joe-Hil...3A1%7C294%3A50

Here's one for a BIN of $180. http://cgi.ebay.com/Locke-Key-4-Joe-...3A1%7C294%3A50

I suspect, since it's not so unusual, that the prices will likely come down.

I think that "the word" is out among those who send in books for grading and then for sale, where as they know they have a real good chance of a 9.9 or a 10, so more and more people are getting them graded.

If I were looking to invest in Locke & Key, I'd be focusing on trying to get Signature Series Graded issues.

I'll take some time and look at the grading numbers and post some info.

Also - I'm about to file away my Wizard Magazine which has the Joe Hill interview in it... if anyone would like me to make them a copy and mail it - just PM me your address ( you international folks, too, no problem ).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Gay

I put this together really quickly. Hope it is helpful and readable. ~ Pam

================================================== =========================================

Information From the CGC ( Certified Guaranty Company ) Census on Joe Hill's Locke and Key ( as of 03/13/2009 ).

Locke & Key Issue 1 ( 02/2008 )
    Graded 10 / 2 Universal – total of 2
    Graded 9.9 / 25 Universal plus 3 SS – total of 28
    Graded 9.8 / 86 Universal plus 23 SS – total of 109
    Graded 9.6 / 9 Universal plus 1 SS – total of 10
    Graded 9.4 / 1 Univresal – total of 1
    Total : 123 Universal, 27 Signature Series – 150 Combined Issues Graded by CGC

Locke & Key Issue 1 Variant Signed Edition ( 02/2008 )
    A total of 5 issues have been graded. The highest grade is 9.8 Signature Series

Locke & Key Issue 1 ( 04/2008 ) VARIANT SECOND PRINTING
    Graded 9.8 / 4 Universal plus 5 SS – total of 9
    Total : 9 Combined Issues Graded by CGC

Locke & Key Issue 1 ( 07/2008 ) Dynamic Forces Edition
    Graded 9.8 / 6 Universal plus 10 SS – total of 16
    Graded 9.6 / 6 Universal plus 7 SS – total of 13
    Graded 9.4 / 3 SS – total of 3
    Total : 12 Universal, 20 Signature Series – 32 Combined Issues Graded by CGC

Locke & Key Issue 1 ( 07/2008 ) Dynamic Forces Negative Edition
    Graded 9.8 / 11 Universal – total of 11
    Graded 9.6 / 2 Universal – total of 2
    Total : 13 Universal – 13 Combined Issues Graded by CGC

Going forward with just those graded 9.9 and 10 :

Locke & Key Issue 2 ( 03/2008 )
    Graded 9.9 – 11 Universal

Locke & Key Issue 3 ( 04/2008 )
    Graded 10 – 2 Universal
    Graded 9.9 – 5 Universal, 1 Signature Series

Locke & Key Issue 4 ( 05/2008 )
    Graded 10 – 7 Universal
    Graded 9.9 – 12 Universal, 7 Signature Series

Locke & Key Issue 5 ( 06/2008 )
    Graded 10 – 7 Universal
    Graded 9.9 – 6 Universal, 2 Signature Series

Locke & Key Issue 6 ( 07/2008 )
    Graded 10 – 1 Universal
    Graded 9.9 – 6 Universal

Locke & Key: Head Games Issue 1 ( 01/2009 )
    Graded 10 – 1 Universal
    Graded 9.9 – 4 Universal

Locke & Key: Head Games Issue 1 Retailer Incentive Edition ( 01/2009 )
    Graded 10 – 2 Universal
    Graded 9.9 – 3 Universal

FYI :
    Universal : This label is applied to comic books that are simply the grade as marked, with no qualifiers or special considerations.

SS/Signature Series : This label is applied to comic books that have been signed by someone of significance to the comic, under the direct observation of a CGC employee, and are thus certified as an authentic signature by CGC.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful information. Thanks for putting it together.

My Mood
    Gay

Gunslinger Apprentice Justin Case is on a distinguished road Justin Case's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    And I agree with the last 3, lol

I liked Heart-Shaped Box, but I was blown away by 20th Century Ghosts. The collection is what sealed it for me on being a Joe Hill fan.

Also of note, if you like comics Locke & Key is just a great original comic. I've been very impressed with it.

Yes, totally agree, really loving the shorts to day (i.e. 20th Century Ghosts, etc), liked Heart Shaped.. alot and have yet to start Gunpowder. Started Locke & Key and liked the first two issues... am waiting for the limited Subterranean Press editon to enjoy fully.
    Phil

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't collect CGC-graded comic, but I know others here do. Thanks for putting that together, Pam.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Started Locke & Key and liked the first two issues... am waiting for the limited Subterranean Press editon to enjoy fully.
    Does anyone know the timeline on the limited edition?

My Mood
    Gay

You're welcome, folks. Let me know if I can help with anything at all.

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Started Locke & Key and liked the first two issues... am waiting for the limited Subterranean Press editon to enjoy fully.
    Does anyone know the timeline on the limited edition?

This is the latest news posted yesterday on the SubPress site:

In other Hill news, we’ve approved the printed-but-not-yet-bound pages for the Locke & Key limited and trade editions, and should see finished copies in the next two weeks. When we do, we’ll get right on having the slipcases for the limited edition made, and be ready to ship the unsigned trade edition this fall, as previously announced. (We’ll have the latter up for preorder soon.)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I found this on amazon the other day. What's the difference between this and the hardcover already released?
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600103847/ref=s9_sims_c2_s2_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_ rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0HJ85D0QTED3S2E4X0MT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =470938811&pf_rd_i=507846"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600103847/ref=s9_sims_c2_s2_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_ rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0HJ85D0QTED3S2E4X0MT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =470938811&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I found this on amazon the other day. What's the difference between this and the hardcover already released?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160...pf_rd_i=507846
    The link is for the trade paperback release.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

awww, thank you. Now I feel silly, it was right there in front of me the whole time.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

John F. Kennedy Roomtemp is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everybody..

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet but it seems like a decent price... Certainly less than I paid for mine..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-Heart-S...1%7C240%3A1318

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roomtemp View Post
    Hi everybody..

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet but it seems like a decent price... Certainly less than I paid for mine..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-Heart-S...1%7C240%3A1318
    That's a lot less than I paid too.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 332 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast