14 56.00%
  • War of the Worlds

16 64.00%
  • The Hangover

17 68.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 1 - Group 10 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 1 - Group 10 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Memories of Murder (2003)
    Directed by Bong Joon-ho

Watch Trailer

Waitress (2007)
    Directed by Adrienne Shelly

Watch Trailer

The Passion of the Christ (2004)
    Directed by Mel Gibson

Watch Trailer

The Devil's Rejects (2005)
    Directed by Rob Zombie

Watch Trailer

Superbad (2007)
    Directed by Greg Mottola

Watch Trailer

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    Directed by Edgar Wright

Watch Trailer

War of the Worlds (2005)
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

Watch Trailer

The Hangover (2009)
    Directed by Todd Phillips

Watch Trailer

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised but not upset that Superbad is currently in the lead. Very underrated coming of age tale. That, and The Hangover are 2 of the best comedies of that decade.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also Shaun of the Dead is brilliant. As a comedy, as a satire of the zombie genre. Just brilliant.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Shaun of the Dead is probably my favorite of this group. I unfortunately never had much appreciation for The Hangover or Superbad though. Though I have a very specific style of "modern" comedy movie I like and a movie like Shaun of the Dead resonates with me much more than movies like The Hangover or Superbad.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Every guy probably has at least one movie that they love that is really geared toward women. Mine is Waitress. Hell, I even tried to make a strawberry-chocolate pie for my wife because of this movie, to disastrous results of course. (It ended with every member of my in-laws trying some just to see how bad it really was.)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Passion of the Christ is probably the best film I have seen about Christ. And I have seen a lot of them.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Shaun of the Dead never really connected with me. It feels like it should have. I've seen it several times and each time I'm disappointed. Not a bad movie, but it's a definite 3/5 for me. And I don't know why.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These nominees are all very varied but I'm loving the support for Waitress, The Passion of the Christ, and War of the Worlds. Great films indeed. Memories of Murder, however, appears to be out...

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    These nominees are all very varied but I'm loving the support for Waitress, The Passion of the Christ, and War of the Worlds. Great films indeed. Memories of Murder, however, appears to be out...
    I have a dream that one day we will live in a world where people will give foreign films a chance.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, and I also agree with your point in another thread about perhaps separating out comic book movies for the next tournament. Else it seems pretty clear that the comic book movies will just swamp everything. I mean, some finely-acted, award-winning wonderful drama stands no chance against anything with a "Ragnorak" or whatever in it.

And I'm not saying this as someone who has some "elitist foreign fetish" or something. Hell, I didn't even vote for Memories of Murder in this round. I liked it ok, but remember being a bit underwhelmed, especially the ending. I'm glad I watched it, but I'm not compelled to see it again. (But I've got my DVD of The Hangover on the shelf and have watched it several times...laugh my ass off!)

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Hangover (68.00%)
    2. War of the Worlds (64.00%)
    3. Shaun of the Dead (56.00%)
    4. Superbad (52.00%)
    5. The Passion of the Christ (40.00%)
    6. Waitress (32.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Devil's Rejects (24.00%)
    2. Memories of Murder (12.00%)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh man, I'm bummed Devil's Rejects didn't move forward. I'm beginning to fear I might not have much to vote for as these polls progress.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

But Waitress did, that was your nom, I believe?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes it was
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread