+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: New Stephen King novella collection: If It Bleeds (May 2020)

  1. #1
    Owner Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    40,059
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default New Stephen King novella collection: If It Bleeds (May 2020)

    King mentioned at a recent event in Minneapolis that he has a new novel titled If You Bleed, featuring Holly Gibney.

  2. #2
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,156
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I guess this EW interview spilled the beans a couple of weeks ago but no one noticed:

    https://ew.com/books/2019/05/01/rich...-stephen-king/
    What inspired the idea for a sequel about Gwendy 25 years after she first got the button box?
    RICHARD CHIZMAR: I guess from just watching the news and seeing that a lot of new, diverse people were elected to Congress, a lot of females, a lot of young people, that stuck in my head. I woke up with a really clear picture of Gwendy and saw where she was all those years after we left her.

    So you saw her in office? How did you pitch the idea to King?
    I wasn’t pitching Steve, I emailed him and just said, “Hey, I saw Gwendy however many years later, and she’s an elected member of Congress, living in D.C., and the button box shows up again.” That’s all I wrote him. And I just looked at the email that he sent back. He said, “That’s a cool idea, very cool.”

    But he didn’t want to write it himself?
    He said, “I’m going to be spending the foreseeable future with Holly Gibney [a character in his Mr. Mercedes novels and The Outsider who is a major character in his newest book], but you should write it.”
    I thought this was in reference to The Outsider.

  3. #3
    President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,609
    My Mood
    Asleep

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I guess this EW interview spilled the beans a couple of weeks ago but no one noticed:

    https://ew.com/books/2019/05/01/rich...-stephen-king/
    What inspired the idea for a sequel about Gwendy 25 years after she first got the button box?
    RICHARD CHIZMAR: I guess from just watching the news and seeing that a lot of new, diverse people were elected to Congress, a lot of females, a lot of young people, that stuck in my head. I woke up with a really clear picture of Gwendy and saw where she was all those years after we left her.

    So you saw her in office? How did you pitch the idea to King?
    I wasn’t pitching Steve, I emailed him and just said, “Hey, I saw Gwendy however many years later, and she’s an elected member of Congress, living in D.C., and the button box shows up again.” That’s all I wrote him. And I just looked at the email that he sent back. He said, “That’s a cool idea, very cool.”

    But he didn’t want to write it himself?
    He said, “I’m going to be spending the foreseeable future with Holly Gibney [a character in his Mr. Mercedes novels and The Outsider who is a major character in his newest book], but you should write it.”
    I thought this was in reference to The Outsider.
    We knew holly was coming back. But not the title or plot. News reporters love to chase deadly crime scenes. Spoiler. What if one of these reporters needs to chase these events. Like a vampire. Feeding off the scene. (Sounds like dr sleep characters). Alzheimer’s and gettin old tie into the book. Fears that king currently worries about.

  4. #4
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,121
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I guess this EW interview spilled the beans a couple of weeks ago but no one noticed:

    https://ew.com/books/2019/05/01/rich...-stephen-king/
    What inspired the idea for a sequel about Gwendy 25 years after she first got the button box?
    RICHARD CHIZMAR: I guess from just watching the news and seeing that a lot of new, diverse people were elected to Congress, a lot of females, a lot of young people, that stuck in my head. I woke up with a really clear picture of Gwendy and saw where she was all those years after we left her.

    So you saw her in office? How did you pitch the idea to King?
    I wasn’t pitching Steve, I emailed him and just said, “Hey, I saw Gwendy however many years later, and she’s an elected member of Congress, living in D.C., and the button box shows up again.” That’s all I wrote him. And I just looked at the email that he sent back. He said, “That’s a cool idea, very cool.”

    But he didn’t want to write it himself?
    He said, “I’m going to be spending the foreseeable future with Holly Gibney [a character in his Mr. Mercedes novels and The Outsider who is a major character in his newest book], but you should write it.”
    I thought this was in reference to The Outsider.
    We knew holly was coming back. But not the title or plot. News reporters love to chase deadly crime scenes. Spoiler. What if one of these reporters needs to chase these events. Like a vampire. Feeding off the scene. (Sounds like dr sleep characters). Alzheimer’s and gettin old tie into the book. Fears that king currently worries about.
    Well, that plot hint has taken the wind out of my sails. I'll probably still read it, but am not so enthused about it. I like the, "Holly" character, but I don't know if she can carry a whole novel. I know that may seem like a something a little "off" to say, but it's what popped into my addled brain first thing after reading this clip.

  5. #5
    Owner Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    40,059
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I think Holly can carry a novel-absolutely.

  6. #6
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,121
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think Holly can carry a novel-absolutely.
    I'll be happy to be proven wrong indeed, El Jefe. Like I said it was just the first reaction I had. Maybe with time and consideration that will change. I take it there is no news regarding a publication date as yet?




    Edit: Did searches on Amazon US/UK and no pre-order info as yet that I could find.

  7. #7
    Citizen of Gilead kingfan2323 is a jewel in the rough kingfan2323 is a jewel in the rough kingfan2323 is a jewel in the rough kingfan2323's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    513

    Default

    What great Mother's Day News! My Mom loves Holly! Carry a book herself? Time will tell!

  8. #8
    Goldmember herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    9,480
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think Holly can carry a novel-absolutely.
    I'll be happy to be proven wrong indeed, El Jefe. Like I said it was just the first reaction I had. Maybe with time and consideration that will change. I take it there is no news regarding a publication date as yet?




    Edit: Did searches on Amazon US/UK and no pre-order info as yet that I could find.

    I would be guessing may 2020
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------

  9. #9
    Goldmember webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    13,320
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Sigh... another book set in this Holly universe. Sad to hear for me anyways. I find her an unlikable chacter that I could care less about.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  10. #10
    Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Holly might be able to carry a book but she won't be delivering one to me as I would have no interest in reading it.

  11. #11
    Rebel Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,829

    Default

    Agreed. Not thrilled about it either. I was never a fan of Holly or the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I'll still buy it, but not sure if I'll read it
    "Only the gentle are ever really strong."

  12. #12
    Rabid Billybumbler Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hagerstown, IN
    Posts
    2,566
    My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I loved the series and enjoy her character, looking forward to it
    Wish List:
    Rage 1st/1st
    Roadwork 1st/1st
    Goblins-Josh Malerman

  13. #13
    Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    237

    Default

    The correct title is probably If It Bleeds since King has - according to Lilja - revealed it's about a journalist/vampire that feeds off the energy of people while chasing his stories

  14. #14
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,156
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    So a sequel to Night Flier and Doctor Sleep? Cool...

  15. #15
    The Hound CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,529
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I don't mind Holly but it is kind of funny how she's become King's new pet character.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  16. #16
    Vagrant Dead WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of WeDealInLead has much to be proud of

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4,272
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    So a sequel to Night Flier and Doctor Sleep? Cool...
    Or Carrion Comfort. Flipping the Summer of Night - It deal upside down.

    King had said you should write what you know. He obviously doesn't know female characters with mental/behavioural issues. Every time Holly speaks it's like someone's taking sandpaper to my nerve endings. Also, no one ever goes from barely functioning in the real world to solving a supernatural murder mystery on a plane ride.

    "Poopy."

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,156
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default


  19. #19
    Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin people like to rub elbows with me stroppygoblin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,748
    My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I updated the title of this thread and the Catalog entry...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

  20. #20
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,156
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    But the question is, does Pennywise really bleed?

  21. #21
    Owner Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    40,059
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default King's New Novel - If It Bleeds (2020) a Holley Gibney story

    Per Rolling Stone: King’s next book, If It Bleeds, is due out sometime in 2020. It’s a continuation of his ongoing Holly Gibney detective series. “I have to do a polish on that,” he says. “But it’s basically done.” He’s already jamming away on the one after that (though he’s not ready to divulge any details) and the sudden surge of interest in his work has been a great motivator to keep going. “I’m 71 years old,” he says, “and a lot of people my age are forgotten and I’ve had this late season burst of success. It’s very gratifying.”

  22. #22
    Rabid Billybumbler Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hagerstown, IN
    Posts
    2,566
    My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Yeah!!!
    Wish List:
    Rage 1st/1st
    Roadwork 1st/1st
    Goblins-Josh Malerman

  23. #23
    Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a jewel in the rough RichardX is a jewel in the rough RichardX is a jewel in the rough RichardX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    515
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    King mentioned at a recent event in Minneapolis that he has a new novel titled If You Bleed, featuring Holly Gibney.
    I'll read just about anything from King, but this is not great news. At 70+ years old, I can't imagine there are a lot of books left in him. There are plenty of better detective fiction writers out there. It seems a bit lazy to write a series based on the same character. And Holly is one of those characters that works only in King's mind. He often deals in stereotypes with minorities, children, and special needs. It is almost humorous given his liberal bent.

  24. #24
    The Hound CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface is a jewel in the rough CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,529
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    What stereotypes are you referring to with Holly?


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  25. #25
    Rabid Billybumbler Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hagerstown, IN
    Posts
    2,566
    My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The Outsider (w/Holly in it) was a great novel IMHO. Just saying
    Wish List:
    Rage 1st/1st
    Roadwork 1st/1st
    Goblins-Josh Malerman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts