Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: From A Buick 8 - Lets Discuss! *Spoilers*

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

:radioactive: From A Buick 8 - Lets Discuss! *Spoilers*

checked and theres no thread for this. (note: odetta i used your Lets Disscuss! thingy, hope thats ok)

From a Buick 8, whos read it? did you like it? what do you think the car is?
    is there a connection to The Dark Tower?

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just read it this year and think it's one of King's best! It was such a simple story, yet rich in characters and full of some weird shit!!!

I don't see any DT ties. Yes, the car was a portal, but to what world, I know not. It was just a fun read and the ending was satisfying to me.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Not a problem, Hanzou...

I have not read this yet. Do people think it's worth a read?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

to needful: read Hearts In Atlantis

and yes its defininetly worth a read, theres so many weird things in it. it will have some tower fans thinking, other people will be finding a connection to the first story in HIA. but the best part, you'll be thinking.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did read HIA a while ago. I'm assuming you're referring to Low Men in Yellow Coats? I don't remember getting a connection. I should go back and re-read it.

Odetta, I think Buick 8 is a great story and one that should not be passed on. King's portrayal of the characters is really some of his best work.

I really liked it.

Spoiler:
    would you happen to recall those cars they had in Low Men In Yellow Coats?
    did the Buick seem kinda........ i dunno..... Low?

Country
    Country Flag

Good point! LOL, I do now!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    I just read it this year and think it's one of King's best! It was such a simple story, yet rich in characters and full of some weird shit!!!
    hear, hear! loved the novel, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by HanzouNorak View Post
    Spoiler:
    would you happen to recall those cars they had in Low Men In Yellow Coats?
    did the Buick seem kinda........ i dunno..... Low?
    Didn't I read on this site somewhere that King confirmed that it is? I've not had sufficient coffee to locate it, but I'm almost positive I did.

ETA: Oops, forgot to add that you should definitely give it a read. I very much enjoyed it.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Not a problem, Hanzou...

I have not read this yet. Do people think it's worth a read?

In my opinion, it is most definatly worth reading. I read it a few years ago for the first time and have read it about 3 times altogether. It is a simple read but it is a very good story. Since you have not read it I won't go into details but I think you will enjoy it. It is a little hard to get into at first but keep reading, it does get good.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post

I don't see any DT ties. Yes, the car was a portal, but to what world, I know not. It was just a fun read and the ending was satisfying to me.
    There was a tie to the Dark Tower series,

Spoiler:
    Todash, low men

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

hmmm... I'll have to pick it up, then
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Do spoilers really need to be marked in this thread as we are discussing the book? My thoughts are that if you have not read the book, and you don't want to hear about it, you probably should not be reading a thread where that book is being discussed.

That being said......

It is defintely worth a read.

I was a litle put-off by the little trick he pulls at the end....making you think one character has died when it was in fact a different character. But I liked it a lot!

The audio version is excellent. There are at least five different narrators, dong the various voice parts. They all do a great job.

I think that the Dark Tower connection is kind of weak, but King says it's there...so who are we to argue?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd say since the thread title warns of spoilers that there is no need to mark them.

I think though that the ones marked are discussing other books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought the story was well written, and it hold the record for the fastest I've ever read a book.

I think the car was
    Spoiler:
    a thinny like in W & G

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I happen to like this book. As everyone else says, it's simple to read and very entertaining. I think he could have expanded alot with this book, covered much more, but it seems like he got bored with it. The trick at the ending really confused me for a bit, I thought maybe I had skipped something, until i got it figured out.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

I love Buick 8. I love the idea thagt "There are Buicks everywhere".

We don't understand things sometimes. Sometimes, strange things happen. We don't always have the satisfaction of knowing why.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    The audio version is excellent. There are at least five different narrators, dong the various voice parts. They all do a great job.
    yea this looks very interesting, I bought it a while ago and it was cool to see they had different voice actors for the characters. This is definitely going to be the way I re-read the book, audio style.

Actually This book and The Colorado Kid reminded me a lot of each other. The books are about the mystery, and not real answers. So it keeps you guessing even after you've read the book.
    Geoff

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

this is one of my favorite ones! and i thought the DT connection was blatant:

Spoiler:
    the thinny, the low men cars, and the description of the driver (as well as the low men) sound like the disguises of the taheen.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's been awhile since I read the story and remember really liking it. Going to reread it now to refresh my memory.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default From a Buick 8: any comments? *Spoilers*

any opening comments?

yes, i started this thread a month ago.

Here

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

precisely.

merging....................
    ...................complete

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

sorry. started a new thread. did't see this one.
    buick origin possibilities:
    Spoiler:

1. Todash
    2. The source of "The Mist"
    3. Keystone Tower world

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I read this book once, quite a long time ago and thought it was very boring...I didn't actually finish it. However, that was before I got into DT, so I have it on my "to read" pile and think I may appreciate it more on a reread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast