Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please choose up to six

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Thin Red Line

    7 28.00%
  • L.A. Confidential

    14 56.00%
  • Fight Club

    18 72.00%
  • The Matrix

    21 84.00%
  • Dead Man

    4 16.00%
  • Wayne's World

    9 36.00%
  • Boys Don't Cry

    4 16.00%
  • Breakdown

    6 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 28 of 32

  1. #1
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    21,314
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 28 of 32

    During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

    The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

    The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):


    The Thin Red Line (1998)
    Directed by Terrence Malick

    Watch Trailer



    L.A. Confidential (1997)
    Directed by Curtis Hanson

    Watch Trailer



    Fight Club (1999)
    Directed by David Fincher

    Watch Trailer



    The Matrix (1999)
    Directed by The Wachowskis

    Watch Trailer



    Dead Man (1995)
    Directed by Jim Jarmusch

    Watch Trailer



    Wayne's World (1992)
    Directed by Penelope Spheeris

    Watch Trailer



    Boys Don't Cry (1999)
    Directed by Kimberly Peirce

    Watch Trailer



    Breakdown (1997)
    Directed by Jonathan Mostow

    Watch Trailer

  2. #2
    Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    12,062
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I am only voting for one here.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  3. #3
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,285
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I accidentally voted for Fight Club, but I don't think it's going to affect anything.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  4. #4
    Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    12,062
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    How DID NOT vote for the Matrix though so far????
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  5. #5
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,606
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I accidentally voted for Fight Club, but I don't think it's going to affect anything.
    You don't like Fight Club?

  6. #6
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,974
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I accidentally voted for Fight Club, but I don't think it's going to affect anything.
    As much as I want more votes for Fight Club, I removed your vote from the total for accuracy.

  7. #7
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,285
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I accidentally voted for Fight Club, but I don't think it's going to affect anything.
    You don't like Fight Club?

    Not particularly, no. It's definition of overrated movies for me :/ Little appeal outside of some fun performances. I like the first 20 minutes or so.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  8. #8
    Rebel Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,389

    Default

    Out of curiosity, have you read the book Matt?
    "Only the gentle are ever really strong."

  9. #9
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,285
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I haven't read any Pahalniuk or however you spell his name...I never get it right.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  10. #10
    I'll be back. fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Skynet
    Posts
    18,512
    My Mood
    Cool

    Default

    Fight Club gets betrayed by its own stylistic approach. It's actually a very insightful commentary on how easily our species is manipulated. If anything its underrated.

    And of course, that first Matrix is one of the greatest films of any decade.
    (metallic SFX intensifies)

    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm just nodding my head the whole time thinking "ok, stop now, please."

  11. #11
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,285
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    It's #10 on the IMDB top films of all time and has an 8.8 score, a 96% audience score on RT. That's not underrated.

    I personally find the social commentary totally lacking from most of the film. The first 20 minutes are pretty engaging in that respect. American Psycho was a similar film thematically and was MUCH better all around.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  12. #12
    I'll be back. fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Skynet
    Posts
    18,512
    My Mood
    Cool

    Default

    I love AS but it benefits greatly by Bales performance. FC is a lot richer and has a lot more to say about the human condition than AS does.
    (metallic SFX intensifies)

    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm just nodding my head the whole time thinking "ok, stop now, please."

  13. #13
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,285
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I'd argue AS has more to say about the human condition, specifically the male condition. Psycho is more about how vicious masculinity has become something different, but is alive and well, and the destructiveness of male vanity and the need to be the alpha. And when you consider the possibility that Bateman didn't actually kill anyone and his probable latent homosexuality, there's many more psychological layers to American Psycho.



    What really is there to Fight Club other than a take on "The Beautiful Ones" experiment? I see it as: modern men supplant masculinity and sexuality with consumerism, but it's empty and soul-sucking, and the only way men can truly be free is to tear down the capitalist structure that seeks to suppress them. And I meant this as a genuine question, because I would like to know what others see in the film beyond that. Maybe I'd appreciate the theme of Fight Club more if Fincher wasn't so overt with it...felt very insecure to me.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  14. #14
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,606
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'd argue AS has more to say about the human condition, specifically the male condition. Psycho is more about how vicious masculinity has become something different, but is alive and well, and the destructiveness of male vanity and the need to be the alpha. And when you consider the possibility that Bateman didn't actually kill anyone and his probable latent homosexuality, there's many more psychological layers to American Psycho.



    What really is there to Fight Club other than a take on "The Beautiful Ones" experiment? I see it as: modern men supplant masculinity and sexuality with consumerism, but it's empty and soul-sucking, and the only way men can truly be free is to tear down the capitalist structure that seeks to suppress them. And I meant this as a genuine question, because I would like to know what others see in the film beyond that. Maybe I'd appreciate the theme of Fight Club more if Fincher wasn't so overt with it...felt very insecure to me.
    There's a lot going on in Fight Club. There are so many themes that it's throwing at the viewer. If anything, that's it's biggest flaw. Obviously, the most apparent one is its commentary on consumerism. The aspect of the film that I always get the most from is themes of isolation. Both Ed Norton's character and Marla Singer are truly lost souls. They are drawn to each other as an escape from their mundane lives. Speaking of that, I think that's another strong theme. How as humans we all settle into this boring cookie cutter lives. His description of the office building as a filing cabinet has always stuck with me. " This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."

    Don't forget about the part of the film where they try to give meaning to people's lives. There are a few scenes where they literally try to motivate people to be their best self. By threatening someone with death, they are challenging them to live a fulfilling life. "If you aren't on your way to becoming a vet in six weeks, you will be dead."

    The other scene I reference all the time is when Marla is surprised Norton's character is listening to her. She states something along the line that most people don't listen, they are just waiting for their turn to talk. Another commentary on selfishness. I see it more and more every day, if I'm being honest.

    That said, clearly the main theme is about material things and how they define who we are. "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

  15. #15
    Servant of Gan RUBE has a spectacular aura about RUBE has a spectacular aura about RUBE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,779
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Didn't someone post a video on this forum somewhere about how Fight Club was a fascist movie? I didn't agree with a lot of it but it made some good points.

    If you are asking what theme the author had instead of the producer then I say "Who the fuck knows?" Anyone that has read Rant should realize that Palahniuk is just trying to be as extremely different as possible.

    Actually, now that I cheated and looked it up, that is his theme. He describes his own work as Transgressive fiction. Which Wikipedia says is a genre of literature which focuses on characters who feel confined by the norms and expectations of society and who break free of those confines in unusual or illicit ways.

  16. #16
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,285
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'd argue AS has more to say about the human condition, specifically the male condition. Psycho is more about how vicious masculinity has become something different, but is alive and well, and the destructiveness of male vanity and the need to be the alpha. And when you consider the possibility that Bateman didn't actually kill anyone and his probable latent homosexuality, there's many more psychological layers to American Psycho.



    What really is there to Fight Club other than a take on "The Beautiful Ones" experiment? I see it as: modern men supplant masculinity and sexuality with consumerism, but it's empty and soul-sucking, and the only way men can truly be free is to tear down the capitalist structure that seeks to suppress them. And I meant this as a genuine question, because I would like to know what others see in the film beyond that. Maybe I'd appreciate the theme of Fight Club more if Fincher wasn't so overt with it...felt very insecure to me.
    There's a lot going on in Fight Club. There are so many themes that it's throwing at the viewer. If anything, that's it's biggest flaw. Obviously, the most apparent one is its commentary on consumerism. The aspect of the film that I always get the most from is themes of isolation. Both Ed Norton's character and Marla Singer are truly lost souls. They are drawn to each other as an escape from their mundane lives. Speaking of that, I think that's another strong theme. How as humans we all settle into this boring cookie cutter lives. His description of the office building as a filing cabinet has always stuck with me. " This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."

    Don't forget about the part of the film where they try to give meaning to people's lives. There are a few scenes where they literally try to motivate people to be their best self. By threatening someone with death, they are challenging them to live a fulfilling life. "If you aren't on your way to becoming a vet in six weeks, you will be dead."

    The other scene I reference all the time is when Marla is surprised Norton's character is listening to her. She states something along the line that most people don't listen, they are just waiting for their turn to talk. Another commentary on selfishness. I see it more and more every day, if I'm being honest.

    That said, clearly the main theme is about material things and how they define who we are. "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

    A lot of the themes you present have just been done better in other films. Office Space is a big example, as is the opening scene Of Nicholson staring at the clock as he's about to retire, totally dumbfounded, in About Schmidt. And you're right in that if there is so much jammed in to its detriment, it's probably why nothing seems really fleshed out and explored. It's always felt like a film that posited something, and then never elaborated on it, and was already onto positing something else. Nothing felt to have been explored too meaningfully for me. As a piece of entertainment, I get it. I wish I see this deep philosophical masterpiece everyone else sees, because I love Fincher. But Fight Club never connected with me.

    RUBE, yeah, you could say there are fascist overtones to Fight Club...especially if you believe groups like The Proud Boys and other Men's Rights Activist groups are fascist or terrorist organization, then Fight Club would be a very fascist film, since it's basically about a man's right to exist as nature intended, the nature of sex and violence and combat. All terrorism is fascist in some degree. Whether or not it's a story about how fascism is good...I don't know. But it follow the playbook for how terrorism, revolutions, militias, or cults mobilize...take fear or anger or uncertainty, convince them they're victims of a massive oppressive force, promise them the answers and the solution to their problem, then tell them they need to act to destroy the oppressive force and that they're on the right side, and the end goal is freedom/liberation/reform, what have you. That's modern day politics in a nutshell, really. People on the right fear the oppression of the left and the left taking away their rights, and the people on the left fear the oppression of the right and them taking away their rights....I suppose that's just always been how politics have been...
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  17. #17
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,452
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I haven't read any Pahalniuk
    No! how come?!
    or however you spell his name...I never get it right.
    I had the same problem until I saw the cyrilic transcription of his name (Палагнюк), which solved the issue for me once and forever. Don't know if it helps anyone else, though

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    And of course, that first Matrix is one of the greatest films of any decade.
    it is?

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  18. #18
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,606
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

    A lot of the themes you present have just been done better in other films.
    Maybe so, but that doesn't make Fight Club overrated.

    Anyway, my main question, and I think it's an important one and could determine how much enjoyment a person gets out of the film, is whether or not you saw the film the first time knowing the twist. I saw Fight Club when it came out and the twist was so well done. Nowadays, it's been done a million times, but back then I remember wanting to watch the film again immediately.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the quality of the film is determined by the twist, but there is a sense of enjoyment one can gain by being utterly surprised. You can't tell me a person will enjoy The Sixth Sense as much if they watch it for the first time knowing that Bruce Willis is dead.

  19. #19
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,974
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I had no idea about the twist, and didn't figure it out before the reveal. Loved the movie.
    I also enjoyed The Sixth Sense, but figured out the twist about 30 minutes into the film.

  20. #20
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    21,314
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Three movies tied for sixth place.

  21. #21
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,606
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Too bad about Dead Man. It's such an interesting Western.

  22. #22
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    21,314
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Matrix (84.00%)
    2. Fight Club (72.00%)
    3. L.A. Confidential (56.00%)
    4. Wayne's World (36.00%)
    5. The Thin Red Line (28.00%)
    6. Breakdown (24.00%)

    And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Boys Don't Cry (16.00%)
    2. Dead Man (16.00%)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts