15 60.00%
  • There's Something About Mary

15 60.00%
  • Cape Fear

12 48.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 23 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 23 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Dead Alive (1992)
    Directed by Peter Jackson

Watch Trailer

12 Monkeys (1995)
    Directed by Terry Gilliam

Watch Trailer

The River Wild (1994)
    Directed by Curtis Hanson

Watch Trailer

Scent of a Woman (1992)
    Directed by Martin Brest

Watch Trailer

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
    Directed by Wes Craven

Watch Trailer

The Big Lebowski (1998)
    Directed by Joel Coen

Watch Trailer

There's Something About Mary (1998)
    Directed by Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly

Watch Trailer

Cape Fear (1991)
    Directed by Martin Scorsese

Watch Trailer

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

12 Monkeys, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Big Lebowski - all great.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

It took me 4 or 5 tries to finally get through The Big Lebowski. I'd start watching it, get bored and turn it off. Sometimes I'd just start watching it again from the beginning and sometimes I would pick up where I left off. I understand it has a big following and there are a lot of quotable lines, but overall, I just wasn't impressed.

It may have been the fact that it had been so over-hyped before I finally got around to watching it, that it just didn't live up to expectations.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    It took me 4 or 5 tries to finally get through The Big Lebowski. I'd start watching it, get bored and turn it off. Sometimes I'd just start watching it again from the beginning and sometimes I would pick up where I left off. I understand it has a big following and there are a lot of quotable lines, but overall, I just wasn't impressed.

It may have been the fact that it had been so over-hyped before I finally got around to watching it, that it just didn't live up to expectations.
    Yeah, it probably got over hyped for you. Also, I tell people not to try and follow the storyline. It's more enjoyable that way.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You all need to watch Dead Alive. That movie is hilarious.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

No movie can please everyone; that is particularly true of The Big Lebowski (which I love). There's no way to describe it correctly to someone who hasn't seen it; I've never been able to articulate why I find it funny. But if you have a friend that likes weird movies, you recommend this one (luckily I had a buddy who recommended it to me).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And how good was Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

When it came out, There's Something About Mary was one of the funniest raunchy comedies (now the bar has been raised...or lowered). I laughed so hard, my face hurt.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    No movie can please everyone; that is particularly true of The Big Lebowski (which I love). There's no way to describe it correctly to someone who hasn't seen it; I've never been able to articulate why I find it funny. But if you have a friend that likes weird movies, you recommend this one (luckily I had a buddy who recommended it to me).
    Me too. The Big Lebowski is one of those films that I think has gotten passed down from friend to friend. Boondock Saints was like that when I was in college. We passed around the same DVD. I would love to see the family tree of the people I told to watch The Big Lebowski and now love the film. I'm sure those people then told a whole bunch of others.

Brad Pitt's performance in 12 Monkeys is one of the most often overlooked performances.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Everything about 12 Monkeys was great. Everything.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How is New Nightmare in seventh?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    How is New Nightmare in seventh?
    Because The River Wild is better!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What?!

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. 12 Monkeys (92.00%)
    2. The Big Lebowski (60.00%)
    3. There's Something About Mary (60.00%)
    4. Cape Fear (48.00%)
    5. Scent of a Woman (44.00%)
    6. The River Wild (28.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (24.00%)
    2. Dead Alive (16.00%)

Well that's a bummer.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I always thought New Nightmare was one of the better movies out of the entire franchise. The whole movie within a movie and the story-line of the actors playing themselves was interesting and I liked the fact that they brought back the original Nancy.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    What?!
    It is! Not a huge fan of the Freddy Krueger films. They are so cheesy. Most 90s horror films are.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I always thought New Nightmare was one of the better movies out of the entire franchise. The whole movie within a movie and the story-line of the actors playing themselves was interesting and I liked the fact that they brought back the original Nancy.
    +1

+ Reply to Thread