Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah so earlier I posted my Top 30 lists for each year of the 1980s so I'll be nominating from those, and closer to the actual nominations I'll also as usual find some more food-for-thought links from reputable sources that look at the whole decade, but everyone else please feel free to post your lists if you want. I'm sure it's helpful so look at a list and remember an old favorite.

As far as Pixote, no, I'm aware of it and do want to see it, but just never had the chance. It's also not streaming anywhere that I can find. I'll have to look for it now.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Yeah so earlier I posted my Top 30 lists for each year of the 1980s so I'll be nominating from those, and closer to the actual nominations I'll also as usual find some more food-for-thought links from reputable sources that look at the whole decade, but everyone else please feel free to post your lists if you want. I'm sure it's helpful so look at a list and remember an old favorite.

As far as Pixote, no, I'm aware of it and do want to see it, but just never had the chance. It's also not streaming anywhere that I can find. I'll have to look for it now.
    I hope you can find it because looking back on it, I would probably put it in my all time top 50 films.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I didn't realize this until I started making my list but all the Police Academy movies (at least the good ones) were made between 1984 and 1989. One movie per year for 6 years straight.

That's basically unheard of anymore.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They did a lot of that in the '80s, same with Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th I think.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is my list so far: https://boxd.it/44gr8
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    They did a lot of that in the '80s, same with Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th I think.
    Yep. They skipped a year or two in each franchise but still same idea. I was thinking that was just an 80's thing but they did the same with the Harry Potter movies. 8 movies in 10 years. Although I imagine that was more of a necessity due to the age of the main cast.

It seems with most franchises today they typically wait 2-3 years before releasing each sequel.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Here we are, folks, we're heading into the Quarterfinals on Monday. And here are the results of the Octofinals, which just closed:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

8 remaining and I still have 4 horses left in the race.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hated kill bill.
    I wish it wasn’t there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just rewatched The Dark Knight over the weekend - it's been about a year since I've seen it.

Yep, still a gd masterpiece.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Going to be tough, Kind of sad to see The Departed not make it farther. I think a few of my noms are still in there as well. Should be an exciting finish.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Here is my list so far: https://boxd.it/44gr8
    Good list. I have some that you have and then you reminded me of some that I forgot. I guess I will get
    back to my list soon. Here is what I have so far
    Spoiler:
    Back to the future 1985
    The Breakfest club 1985
    Raiders of the lost ark 1981
    The Tereminator 1984
    The Empire Strikes back 1980
    Caddy Shack 1980
    The Untouchables 1987
    Beverly Hills Cop 1984
    Wall Street 1987
    The Karate Kid 1984
    War Games 1983
    A fish called wanda 1988
    Das Boat 1981
    To live and die in LA 1985
    Escape from New York 1981
    They Live 1988
    Leathal Weapon 1987
    Poltergiest 1982
    Big Trouble in little China 1986
    Scarface 1983
    Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior 1982
    Platoon 1986
    Batman 1989
    Full Metal Jacket 1987
    The Blues Brothers 1980
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984
    A Christmas story 1983
    Heathers 1988
    Stand by me 1986
    Evil Dead 2 1987
    Do the right thing 1989

Country
    Country Flag

Nice list, I think all of them are on mine, too.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Just rewatched The Dark Knight over the weekend - it's been about a year since I've seen it.

I haven't seen it since 2012 (before seeing Rises). I'm afraid it won't be as amazing upon a re-watch, but then again I'm always fearful about that when re-watching any movie I love.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

I haven't seen it since 2012 (before seeing Rises). I'm afraid it won't be as amazing upon a re-watch, but then again I'm always fearful about that when re-watching any movie I love.
    I would implore you to watch it again, you'll get something different out of it this time. When I first watched it back in 08' I loved it because it was Batman, but all these years later I can watch it and admire it for all of the things that go into turning films into art.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just might have to. But because I'm a weirdo, I'd also feel the need to re-watch all three. I've still never re-watched The Dark Knight Rises. I think I'm still mad at it. Haha.

And I totally get your viewpoint.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

So just four titles remain, folks! I wouldn't have predicted from the outset that Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King would be facing off for a spot in the Final but here we are.

For the record, here are the standings going into the Semifinals:

Moving on:
    1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 573.93%
    2. The Dark Knight 568.00%
    3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 499.40%
    4. Pan's Labyrinth 415.58%

Eliminated:
    1. Kill Bill: Volume 1 477.56%
    2. No Country for Old Men 441.62%
    3. Memento 439.78%
    4. Minority Report 427.82%

My Mood
    Cool

Wow. Pan's labyrinth still in there. The semi's are going to be epic.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

4 remaining and I have 3 horses left in the race.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong Tim. Dark Knight is mine no? The other three yours?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Nope. My very first nomination was for The Dark Knight. I also nominated The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Pan's Labyrinth.

http://http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?22372-The-Great-Movie-Tournament-Nominations-Thread-2000s&p=1154835&viewfull=1#post1154835

Fernandito nominated The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Country
    Country Flag

Nope. My very first nomination was for The Dark Knight. I also nominated The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Pan's Labyrinth.

http://http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?22372-The-Great-Movie-Tournament-Nominations-Thread-2000s&p=1154835&viewfull=1#post1154835

Well my heart is there with that one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

dude I think you nominated like half the films in the tournament

Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe it but the final poll of the 2000s is here, everybody! This has been a very interesting tournament, and as always, I want to thank everyone for your continued excellent participation. While it's all just for fun (we're not the end-all cinema authority), these polls mean nothing if nobody votes. So, thank you!

While the end result may have been expected to a degree for this decade, as with most things, it's the journey that really matters. And I think the 1990s and the 2000s have some of the more obvious favorites of any decade out there. Our next decade is the 1980s and I'm not as sure about what some of the absolute favorites for that would be. Or for the 2010s, our decade after that. This has been extremely fun, and I hope it has been as fun for y'all. And we've only just begun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast