Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1990s

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Ducking behind a table and waiting for the rottan tommatoes to be thrown:

Nomination #9?

Showgirls
    Paul Verhoeven

(hey it made the list of 140 essential movies of the 90's)
    I've heard of scraping the barrel, but that is taking the piss.
    No way! I still have a ton of great, name-brand films on my list.

One of them just got nominated and I will second it - Devil in a Blue Dress.

I was starting to think I was the only one who had seen it. Such a uniquely great film, if you haven't seen it, please track it down.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And with that we're at 170 seconded films. Only 86 spots remain.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was recently nominated, but this is the 90s Robin Hood film I prefer.

Nomination #13

Robin Hood: Men in Tights
    Dir: Mel Brooks

Watch Trailer (No Spoiler)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

NOMINATION #42

"Don't get too cocky, my boy. No matter how good you are, don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe, my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous. Be the little guy. You know, the nerd, the leper, shit-kicking serf. Look at me. Underestimated from day one. You'd never think I was a master of the universe, now would you?"

Film: The Devil's Advocate
    Director: Taylor Hackford
    Year: 1997
    Plot spoiler with classic scene: No

Classic scene:

Movie trailer:
    Great movie. Second!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I second The Sandlot (1993).

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

NOMINATION #42

"Don't get too cocky, my boy. No matter how good you are, don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe, my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous. Be the little guy. You know, the nerd, the leper, shit-kicking serf. Look at me. Underestimated from day one. You'd never think I was a master of the universe, now would you?"

Film: The Devil's Advocate
    Director: Taylor Hackford

Classic scene:

Movie trailer:
    I'll seconf this, but after perusing some of the nominations I'm wondering if maybe we should think about setting some standards here. Like maybe if the films actually turned a decent profit? Got a little critical acclaim? I realize its more or less a popularity contest and not an Oscars poll, but I'm not seeing much Academy worthy films being nominated here.

Then again, what do I know right? I'm sure I'll be shredded for this, but it's been a few days since anyone tore me a new one. lol lol lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I'll seconf this, but after perusing some of the nominations I'm wondering if maybe we should think about setting some standards here. Like maybe if the films actually turned a decent profit? Got a little critical acclaim? I realize its more or less a popularity contest and not an Oscars poll, but I'm not seeing much Academy worthy films being nominated here.

Then again, what do I know right? I'm sure I'll be shredded for this, but it's been a few days since anyone tore me a new one. lol lol lol
    Oh, oh! Can I do it?! Can I do it?!

He has me blocked so I can pretty much say whatever I want. It looks like you are trying to derail this tournament like you tried to derail the last one. It's running perfectly fine. Plus, like most times, you are misguided.

1990 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Dances with Wolves, Goodfellas, Ghost
    1991 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Beauty and the Beast, Silence of the Lambs, JFK
    1992 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Unforgiven, A Few Good Men, Scent of a Woman
    1993 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Schindler's List, Fugitive, (The Piano not seconded yet)
    1994 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, Shawshank Redemption
    1995 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Braveheart, Apollo 13, Babe
    1996 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Fargo, (English Patient not seconded yet)
    1997 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Titanic, L.A. Confidential, As Good as it Gets, Good Will Hunting
    1998 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: Shakespeare in Love, Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line
    1999 Best Picture nominees in the tournament already: American Beauty, Green Mile, The Insider, The Sixth Sense

Please, someone pass this information along. As you can see, Merlin is flat wrong as usual. He's more than welcome to nominate any of the other Oscar films.

Lastly, Merlin loathes these tournaments. He won't tell you to your face, but he sees each and every one of us as freeloading moochers. He'd shut down everyone of these tournaments if he could. Make no mistake about it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Plenty of Oscar winners aside from best picture have been nominated too, like My Cousin Vinny, Mighty Aphrodite, Affliction off the top of my head. Probably some that won screenplay and other secondary awards. Considering how many beloved films are in the 90's, I think there is a good balance in here.

Speaking of which, that leads my to my next nominee which was a best picture nominee in 1997

The Full Monty (1997)
    Director: Peter Cattaneo

Spoiler:
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Plenty of Oscar winners aside from best picture have been nominated too, like My Cousin Vinny, Mighty Aphrodite, Affliction off the top of my head. Probably some that won screenplay and other secondary awards. Considering how many beloved films are in the 90's, I think there is a good balance in here.
    No doubt about it. I'm not trying to pat ourselves on the backs, but once all the nominees have been made, this will easily be the most comprehensive list of 90s films the internet has ever seen. You can take that to the bank. Most lists are 50 or 100 films long. Ours will be over 200.

Anyway, there's another film when I was researching to prove Bill wrong (for the thousandth time if you're keeping score at home) that hasn't been nominated that is really surprising me. I will wait another day before nominating it myself.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

NOMINATION #18

"Of course, you idiot. I always wear it; I've always worn it; I've always loved you."

Film: The English Patient
    Director: Anthony Minghella
    Year: 1996

Classic scene:

Movie trailer:
    Second

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I second The Insider (1999).

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Anyway, there's another film when I was researching to prove Bill wrong (for the thousandth time if you're keeping score at home) that hasn't been nominated that is really surprising me. I will wait another day before nominating it myself.

I wonder if that movie is on my list...there's only 6 left.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's your type of film. It was hugely popular and nominated for a Best Picture in the late 90s.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, I had to click "View post" on this response because I just knew you could not resist the chance to post some childish, vicious and vindictive comments about my post. Perhaps I made a poor choice of words in using "Oscar" and "Academy" in my post because obviously there have been Oscar worthy nominations posted. You've identified 30 or so out of 170 films so far? There have also been a fair amount of questionable or maybe very subjective films IMHO such as, South Park & Clueless for instance. I was just posting some food for thought. That is all. I'm not trying to derail anything. In point of fact. I'm merely participating, which I thought was the idea here. Never the less, to avoid any further "drama" this post will be my last contribution to this tournament. From here on out I will abstain.

Regardless, I'm not going to discuss that issue with you as you folks are much more educated on the subject than I and the majority carries the day. However, I do take issue with this segment of your post............................

"Please, someone pass this information along. As you can see, Merlin is flat wrong as usual. He's more than welcome to nominate any of the other Oscar films.

Lastly, Merlin loathes these tournaments. He won't tell you to your face, but he sees each and every one of us as freeloading moochers. He'd shut down everyone of these tournaments if he could. Make no mistake about it."

As usual you have no basis for these quite uncalled for derogatory comments. You have no idea how I feel about these tournaments in fact, I rather enjoy them for the most part and look forward to them as much as the next member every year. They are generally light entertainment and at times great fun. What I do not enjoy is the regular "Holier than thou" and snobbish commentary that some folks such as yourself generally lavish upon the casual participant such as myself. But that's okay you gotta be you and I admit to not being the well educated movie critic others are nor am I as serious about movies as others. Much like I am sure quite a few of you folks are regarding my seriousness about King collecting for instance. To each his own, but there is no need to belittle the casual participant such as myself at every opportunity.

With regard to your declaration that I view "you folks" as "freeloaders" nothing could be further from the truth and you should do a little research before you come to such ludicrous conclusions which are totally unfounded. As a rule I do not like to make my generosity public and strictly adhere to anonymity, but you have absolutely NO IDEA what I do for others around here. I treat this forum as an extension of my own community and do whatever I can to help and assist fellow members regularly. And I have done this for many years. In fact pretty much since the time I joined this forum to the present. Also, you have no basis to judge or comment on what I donate each and every year to insure that this forum continues to be available for EVERYONE that is a member here. And that is not only in the form of funds (which is significant), but in time and effort as well.

So, I believe you have done me a disservice, yourself a disservice and virtually every other member here a disservice when you characterize my attitude as being that "us folks" (whomever you are referring to) as "freeloaders" and people that I "loathe". Conversely, young man, I do quite a bit to insure that this forum is available to everyone who wishes to participate and what ever I can, when I can and where I can to assist fellow members in their time of need be it financial issues, health issues or problems at home and I do not seek accolades, trophies or special treatment for these efforts. I regularly do what I can, when I can for whomever is in need. Don't take my word for it. Ask around before you start passing judgement on a subject that you know less than nothing about. And DO NOT characterize or profile my fellow members in such a manner again in such a fashion without any basis for your judgement. Frankly, I very much resent having to disclose my actions publicly. I am very much aware that I am fortunate in many ways and that others do not enjoy that same situation and try to assist others in less fortunate circumstances or instances whenever and wherever I can. Your comments are WAY out of line and you really need to re-examine your position on this matter. This unfounded vendetta of yours really needs to cease.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's your type of film. It was hugely popular and nominated for a Best Picture in the late 90s.

Pretty sure I know the one you mean, and I haven't gotten around to see it. But that Best Actor speech was great.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Too long. Didn't read.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Woah woah woah woah. South Park as a questionable or subjective pick? That's an Academy Award nominated film we're talking about.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Too long. Didn't read.
    Then you should take the time to read it.

I think you are wrong to accuse Bill of trying to derail the tournament, merely for making an observation and trying to start a discussion on the nature of some of the nominations made so far.

If this is indeed a "Best" movies of the 90's tournament, then our yard stick for selecting worthy films should be the Academy Awards, critical acclaim and overall box office performance. There is nothing wrong with this statement and Bill shouldn't be ridiculed for voicing this very obvious fact. My own comments about Showgirls being seconded in favour of The English Patient, mirror Bill's feelings on this.

However, if this is instead a "Most Popular" or "Favourite" movies of the 90's tournament, then I suggest the title is changed to reflect that. Otherwise what is our benchmark of selection here?

And why attack Bill's character like this? It is both wrong and unfair to make sweeping statements about his character and suggest that "he sees each and every one of us as freeloading moochers" without a shred of proof. Not only are these remarks rude and unfounded, they are also totally irrelevant.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

NOMINATION #43

"What kind of place is this? It's beautiful: Pigeons fly, women fall from the sky! I'm moving here!"

Film: Life Is Beautiful
    Director: Roberto Benigni

Classic scene:

Movie trailer:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Too long. Didn't read.
    Then you should take the time to read it.

I think you are wrong to accuse Bill of trying to derail the tournament, merely for making an observation and trying to start a discussion on the nature of some of the nominations made so far.

If this is indeed a "Best" movies of the 90's tournament, then our yard stick for selecting worthy films should be the Academy Awards, critical acclaim and overall box office performance. There is nothing wrong with this statement and Bill shouldn't be ridiculed for voicing this very obvious fact. My own comments about Showgirls being seconded in favour of The English Patient, mirror Bill's feelings on this.

However, if this is instead a "Most Popular" or "Favourite" movies of the 90's tournament, then I suggest the title is changed to reflect that. Otherwise what is our benchmark of selection here?

And why attack Bill's character like this? It is both wrong and unfair to make sweeping statements about his character and suggest that "he sees each and every one of us as freeloading moochers" without a shred of proof. Not only are these remarks rude and unfounded, they are also totally irrelevant.
    But his issue is unfounded and I proved it. There have been plenty of Academy Award films and critically acclaimed films nominated thus far. The two films he mentioned are more than deserving. South Park is a fantastic film that was even nominated for an Oscar and Clueless (a film which you yourself nominated, I might add) was a hugely influential film in the 90s, literally spawning a whole genre.

Also, is he not attacking my character? Show me one instance where I have belittled the casual participant. In fact, I could make the case that is what you have done for Showgirls.

Also, he stirs shit in every tournament. That goes back to before you were even here. He's complained in the past about how the tournaments clutter the forum.

As for the free loading moochers comment, he posted a message urging us to give money to the site. Stating very obviously that if it wasn't for this site, we wouldn't be able to have a tournament. We all know that. Those that are inclined to give, will give. There are more than enough ways to donate on this site. It's unnecessary for him to even state that. If I had a dime for every person over the years who has sent me reputation points or a private message about how Bill is difficult to deal with, we could fund this site for a year. That's not even from people from my "click" as he will claim. That's from people I have never even heard of.

Bill gives a lot of money to fund the site, that should be applauded, but it doesn't give him the right to walk around here like he owns the place.

Lastly, Bill, put me back on your block list. It's better for your health.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Everyone, let's please dial it down a little. This is supposed to be a fun pastime for everyone involved. With these tournaments there are usually around 20-30 people who will participate but we're a minority of the overall group of active members here, so I understand how our events can be annoying to those who aren't into it. That said, they're actually pretty easy to ignore, once the actual polls start opening up. All it takes is double-clicking the icon for the forum where they're hosted to mark it as read and ignore the noise. But we want as much participation as possible, and I would love for Bill to be an active participant and voter in these things. And everyone else, too. The more, the merrier!

For the other point, I would disagree that the name "Great" has to necessarily imply awards and critical acclaim, too. Obviously, award-winning films will always be part of any list like this. But what about lesser-know and more obscure films that have slipped through the cracks and never got their awards spotlight? I have tons of those. And yes, Showgirls is not a great film, in that sense. But it is an important artifact of the '90s and a film by a major director whose films I personally enjoy a lot and would place his name alongside all-time great directors. And like that video essay pointed out, there might be more going on under the surface that people tend think. And this goes for other nominated and seconded titles that some might view as unworthy. I personally don't like the South Park movie (or the series), very sorry, but I recognize it's a beloved film and Oscar-nominated to boot. I'm sure a bunch of movies I nominated or would nominate would raise eyebrows. Not so much in the '90s but once we get to the next two decades I have lots of lesser-known indies and foreign films that not many people have seen sadly, and these typically don't garner much mainstream award or critical fanfare, unless you count festival awards and such.

But again, I think the point of a tournament like this is to nominate great films, yes, but not just well-known award winners. Otherwise we can just download the whole Academy Awards data base and be done with the nominations. But then we'd miss truly great films that never got their due because of many various reasons. When we get to the 2010s next year, one of my top movies for last year is Annihilation (if not the top one), and while the little critical attention that it got was mainly positive, it was largely ignored by the public and completely ignored by the Academy. And that movie blew my mind and has to be one of my favorites for the whole decade.

So come on, cool out jets, guys, and let's keep having fun like we're supposed to!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I second Delicatessen.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Audition (1999)
    Takashi Miike

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

Life Is Beautiful seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Everyone, let's please dial it down a little. This is supposed to be a fun pastime for everyone involved. With these tournaments there are usually around 20-30 people who will participate but we're a minority of the overall group of active members here, so I understand how our events can be annoying to those who aren't into it. That said, they're actually pretty easy to ignore, once the actual polls start opening up. All it takes is double-clicking the icon for the forum where they're hosted to mark it as read and ignore the noise. But we want as much participation as possible, and I would love for Bill to be an active participant and voter in these things. And everyone else, too. The more, the merrier!

For the other point, I would disagree that the name "Great" has to necessarily imply awards and critical acclaim, too. Obviously, award-winning films will always be part of any list like this. But what about lesser-know and more obscure films that have slipped through the cracks and never got their awards spotlight? I have tons of those. And yes, Showgirls is not a great film, in that sense. But it is an important artifact of the '90s and a film by a major director whose films I personally enjoy a lot and would place his name alongside all-time great directors. And like that video essay pointed out, there might be more going on under the surface that people tend think. And this goes for other nominated and seconded titles that some might view as unworthy. I personally don't like the South Park movie (or the series), very sorry, but I recognize it's a beloved film and Oscar-nominated to boot. I'm sure a bunch of movies I nominated or would nominate would raise eyebrows. Not so much in the '90s but once we get to the next two decades I have lots of lesser-known indies and foreign films that not many people have seen sadly, and these typically don't garner much mainstream award or critical fanfare, unless you count festival awards and such.

But again, I think the point of a tournament like this is to nominate great films, yes, but not just well-known award winners. Otherwise we can just download the whole Academy Awards data base and be done with the nominations. But then we'd miss truly great films that never got their due because of many various reasons. When we get to the 2010s next year, one of my top movies for last year is Annihilation (if not the top one), and while the little critical attention that it got was mainly positive, it was largely ignored by the public and completely ignored by the Academy. And that movie blew my mind and has to be one of my favorites for the whole decade.

So come on, cool out jets, guys, and let's keep having fun like we're supposed to!
    Good post Mae.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast