Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament Announcement and Discussion

Hybrid View

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament Announcement and Discussion

Yes, it's that time again, ladies and gentlemen! After a long enough pause we're finally doing another movie tournament. This will be another epic tournament or rather a series of tournaments, like our exhaustive (but hopefully not exhausting) music tournament. I'm borrowing the name because this time we won't be focusing on a genre, like we did with Horror or Comedy, we'll be determining the best movies of each decade.

This will be a multiple step process that will eventually see us select a winner for each decade of popular film from the 1920s to the 2010s. We'll begin this year with the 1990s and the 2000s decades, and in early 2020 we'll continue with the 2010s. We'll then move on to other decades: the 1980s, 1970s, 1960s, 1950s, 1940s, 1930s, and finally the 1920s (which also will allow for films from the 1910s, we'll call it The Dawn of Cinema or something flowery like that maybe). To precede any smartypants, a decade for our purposes is a stretch of ten years where one year ends with a zero and the tenth year ends with a nine (1990-1999).

Once the ten winners of each decade have been selected, a round-robin faceoff will determine the ultimate best film of all time, much like the culmination of our music tournament. Yes, this will take a long time, several years by my count, but we're in no hurry. Anyway, that's the plan. We've been going back and forth on what kind of tournament to have and my tournament itch (OCD) is getting itchy

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss the setup of the project and maybe begin thinking of what you'd like to nominate for the 1990s as that would be out first decade out of the gate. We'll be using the same template used in our last few tournaments, namely, 200 seconded titles (so basically Top 20 per year, think of it that way), a waiting period of five nominations before you can nominate again, and you can second anything anytime (or we may amend that to include a small waiting period as well). Once enough of the regulars here become aware of the plan, we'll open up the nomination process.

#micdrop

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Replace "my" with "our".

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm well up for this! The 1990's was one of the best decades for cinema, so this particular tournament should be quite fun.

One of the things I particularly liked about the previous Greatest Scene Tournament, was the inclusion of a video with each nomination. With 200 entries for each decade, there's always going to be films nominated that not everyone will have seen; so I suggest that when nominating a film, each person also posts a classic scene and/or the trailer to go with their nomination. That way, not only will people unfamiliar with the film get a broader understanding of it, but posting a video of a classic scene and/or trailer from the movie will also enhance the argument of why it is deemed a great film in the first place.

So if we were doing the 1970's and I was going to make a nomination, I could post something like this:

Nomination #1

Film: Jaws
    Director: Steven Spielberg
    Year: 1975
    Plot spoiler with scene: No

Classic Scene:

Trailer:

Videos would need to placed in spoiler tags like before, otherwise it will affect the internet running speed on the thread.

I also thought it would be a good idea to number our nominations. Not because of any limit imposed, but just to keep a track of how many film each person has nominated and to make the process of knowing when to nominate again easier to identify.

Lastly, I would recommend a waiting period of three nominations before you can nominate again rather than five, as a waiting period of five created a few gridlocks last time and it ended up being lowered to three. I do agree however, that people should be able to second a nominated film at anytime.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree on the videos, at least with a trailer, and it would make my job a little easier having to locate 200 trailers for the polls. But it's not a requirement. The idea is to have fun, not have it be a chore, but it's a nice thing to have.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, this is ambitious! I have a few thoughts/reservations on the scope of the tournament which I'll get back to as soon as I'm out of this god forsaken meeting...

brb

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Wow, this is ambitious! I have a few thoughts/reservations on the scope of the tournament which I'll get back to as soon as I'm out of this god forsaken meeting...

brb
    Curious to hear your thoughts, and everyone else's! The time is right for some tournamenting, people!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

brb
    Curious to hear your thoughts, and everyone else's! The time is right for some tournamenting, people!
    That's the longest fucking meeting in the history of meetings.

Are we still going to be using a Google form for bookkeeping? I could create something again.

Country
    Country Flag

It is ambitious, but unlike the music tournament, we'll be doing just one decade at a time with breaks in between. Typical tournament time has been around four months, so this year we'd do the 1990s and take a two months break and then do the 2000s and take another break, into early 2020 when we would be finally able to do the 2010s that just would have ended.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sounds great! I'm always up for a tournament.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

We can certainly use Google Forms if you're willing to oversee the nominations, but I can also do it myself in the thread as well like I did for the music tournament. Just basically keeping a tally in the first post of the nominations thread and updating throughout the day, I'm usually on the forum all the time, at work or on my phone or at home (I have a very active social life, obviously).

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We can certainly use Google Forms if you're willing to oversee the nominations, but I can also do it myself in the thread as well like I did for the music tournament. Just basically keeping a tally in the first post of the nominations thread and updating throughout the day, I'm usually on the forum all the time, at work or on my phone or at home (I have a very active social life, obviously).
    The great thing about the Google Sheet is that anyone can update it. T-Dogz was great about handling a lot of that. Here is the code to the banner in my signature. This also links to the Google Sheet. Anyone is free to change this. I didn't build it from scratch, I essentially just deleted the other stuff. We can also keep a tally in the forum.

Link to Banner Code: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Link to Google Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I would just like to take this time now to apologize for the nominations I will be making. None of them will be critically acclaimed, award-winning movies. They'll mostly be dumb comedies that make me laugh. And probably all the Star Wars prequels.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    And probably all the Star Wars prequels.
    If it's Episode III, then I won't mind too much. If it's I or II, I'll formally request to have you banned

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    And probably all the Star Wars prequels.
    If it's Episode III, then I won't mind too much. If it's I or II, I'll formally request to have you banned
    And I will second that request.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

So should we open this up for nominations officially tomorrow (1/11, nice number)? I'll post official eligibility rules and all that good stuff before we start.

Country
    Country Flag

So should we open this up for nominations officially tomorrow (1/11, nice number)? I'll post official eligibility rules and all that good stuff before we start.
    Sounds good to me. Let me know what time nominations kick off and I will make sure I'm online?

Country
    Country Flag

I would imagine morning/afternoon ET? Say, noon...

Also, I've been going over my lists in the 1990s thread and for some reason those lists are extremely conservative. Not sure how I did them back then. I'm redoing them now and I'm getting around 30-40 titles per year. Just getting ready to whittle them down to the ones I'd really like to nominate.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh man, now I have to think about what I'd like to nominate.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Great, thanks for that! I do remember it worked pretty well during the Best Scene tournament and Tim did a really good job updating the table throughout the process. Having a tally in two places can't hurt, whatever is more convenient for folks to see the nominations being made.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Holy shit. I knew the 90's were a great decade for film, but I didn't realize how great until I just sat down to compile my list for the tournament.

I also realized a few things. One, being born in 1980, I realized that the 1990s marked my most growth of a fan of movies. I watched a lot of movies as a kid in the 80's, but as I got older, my taste in film also evolved. Plus, I remembered more shit. Second, the argument could be made that the 90s were the last great decade for original films. I'm not saying there aren't great original films now, but I don't think we will ever see the amount of great, and more importantly, mainstream, films like we did in the 90s.

Anyway, my list consists of 140 films. This is going to be a fun tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I also realized a few things. One, being born in 1980, I realized that the 1990s marked my most growth of a fan of movies. I watched a lot of movies as a kid in the 80's, but as I got older, my taste in film also evolved. Plus, I remembered more shit. Second, the argument could be made that the 90s were the last great decade for original films. I'm not saying there aren't great original films now, but I don't think we will ever see the amount of great, and more importantly, mainstream, films like we did in the 90s.
    Now, this may be a bit too personal and #TMI so I apologize in advance, but speaking about growing up in the '80s and '90s, we're around the same age, and I too realized just how much these '90s movies shaped me as a person now. Looking back at the various titles on these lists I compiled I'm surprised at how long it took me to work out my identity finally only a year or two ago. I remember watching The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love when I was 15 or 16, and it had such an impact on me back then as a teenage boy. But not in a way a regular teenage boy would typically react to two cute girls kissing and making love (awkwardly). I was so happy for them and experiencing all these feelings they were too, and, looking back, it was because I wanted to be one of them and have that experience myself. And now that I've realized that being transgender is possible and apparently I was this way all along, a lot of things from back then make more sense.

Admittedly, that movie is not the greatest, but I'll probably nominate it anyway for sentimental reasons.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Now, this may be a bit too personal and #TMI so I apologize in advance, but speaking about growing up in the '80s and '90s, we're around the same age, and I too realized just how much these '90s movies shaped me as a person now. Looking back at the various titles on these lists I compiled I'm surprised at how long it took me to work out my identity finally only a year or two ago. I remember watching The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love when I was 15 or 16, and it had such an impact on me back then as a teenage boy. But not in a way a regular teenage boy would typically react to two cute girls kissing and making love (awkwardly). I was so happy for them and experiencing all these feelings they were too, and, looking back, it was because I wanted to be one of them and have that experience myself. And now that I've realized that being transgender is possible and apparently I was this way all along, a lot of things from back then make more sense.

Admittedly, that movie is not the greatest, but I'll probably nominate it anyway for sentimental reasons.
    Thank you for sharing, Mae! I'm so happy that things are working out for you. Happiness in all of our lives should be our main priority.

Country
    Country Flag

My list is slightly longer at 393:

1990: 46
    1991: 31
    1992: 38
    1993: 43
    1994: 48
    1995: 42
    1996: 34
    1997: 35
    1998: 39
    1999: 37

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My list is slightly longer at 393:

1990: 46
    1991: 31
    1992: 38
    1993: 43
    1994: 48
    1995: 42
    1996: 34
    1997: 35
    1998: 39
    1999: 37

I did some self editing as I was putting together my list. I only included films I've seen. I also didn't include films I didn't think were worthy of being in the tournament. There are also a bunch of films I've seen, but I'm not a huge fan of that I know others will nominate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast