Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical questions about the site

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Could you post us a screen shot of your problem Jon. you can just hold down "print screen" on your keyboard and then paste it into something like "Paint" to stick it out here.
    Ok I'll try.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is the screen.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for showing that Jon. I think there has been a thread established for this problem. Have a look there to see if any of the tips help.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Is it necessary to mark spoilers inside the posts, if the thread title contains the word "spoilers" as a warning? If it isn't, I would add this word to Baronies->DT7 immediately. It's getting quite unreadable.
    I think Aarons standard 3 work pretty well as a guide line.

End of story
    Death of someone
    major plot spoiler

The nature of that thread, being the last book and all probably has these three elements in every post.

However--I believe you are right. I wouldn't even venture into a thread like that if I had not finished the book.

The spoiler thing is a weird fine line but I think the guidelines work pretty well. People should try to limit covering anything up with the tag unless if falls into one of those categories.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what I meant is, at TDT.net, if you add the word "spoilers" to the title of a thread, you don't have to mark your spoilers inside posts: everybody is already warned that every post is likely to contain them, - consist of them, in fact.

That's what such titles look like:

Where You Satisfied With The Ending ***spoilers!***

after that, spoilers are not marked in posts: don't have to be, and, for the sake of readability, shouldn't.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I totally understand that Jean.

I just think if we went with that method, we would have to tag every thread that way which we purposely didn't want to do.

That is the whole reason that Aaron went to all that trouble to post the requirements. I think that basically every thread in there would have to be marked that way if we were going to do it

And at that point, we might as well just mark the forum which is what we tried to accomplish.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I understand, but maybe exception could be made for The Baronies? The forums there are placed in the order of the books; so probably could be the forum spoiler warnings. That's how I imagine it (applying to The Baronies only):

The Gunslinger ***spoilers for Book 1***

The DofTT ***spoilers for Books 1 and 2***

The Waste Lands ***spoilers for Books 1, 2 and 3***

The Dark Tower ***spoilers for all seven books***

it would be logical, and it wouldn't make the whole site policy inconsistent. I think maybe this was the reason why, as I noticed, there is no spoiler requirements thread in The Baronies, unlike all other forums: it may be just oversight, but I think it was the feeling that these forums are different by their very nature.

By the way, there's already a number of threads with the word "spoilers" in the title. I am sure their starters, and everyone who posts there - if they have any TDT.net experience - understand it that spoilers don't have to be marked inside; looks like something should be done about that, too

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great ideas all around. I will speak with Aaron about and see what he would like to do.

I'm not sure if we will ever find anything that works exactly the way it should but there may be room for improvement.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, here's a random question guys:
    I had my browser closed, my computer was off/asleep but when my wife visited the site on her computer, it showed that I was online and active. I guess it isn't a big deal but it was surprising. Do I have to log off each time I leave the site in order to be be inactive?

*edit*
    It's now 10:53 pm (central time) and I am leaving the site...closing Safari, closing the lid of my computer.
    Am I active and online? I won't be again til morning...
    Thanks! Have a good night everyone.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

It shows who was active for the last hour. It doesn't take you off the list until the hour is up. If you click on the view who's online thing it tells when you last activity was, though.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    It shows who was active for the last hour. It doesn't take you off the list until the hour is up. If you click on the view who's online thing it tells when you last activity was, though.

It also shows how often you masturbate!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'm in trouble then.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

The server processor would explode.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I am having a TMI moment here

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

You love it.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Spoilers

In addition to what I said here (and which grows more and more urgent with every post in the Baronies):

In one of The Baronies threads, Nikolett asked people to specify which books the marked spoilers referred to.

The idea is so great and obvious that it isn't even surprising it wasn't put to practice, it was, paradoxically, too big to be noticed.

Indeed, if someone is reading book 5, and comes across a marked spoiler, how are they going to make their choice whether or not they can venture there? And what if the spoiler refers to the Mejis tragedy they are very well aware of?

On the other hand, while we already have such beautiful spoiler marker, marking them manually will look amateurish, unnecessarily complicated, and inconsistent:

The Spoiler below is for Book 4:
    Spoiler:
    Susan died

Can there - not now, of course, but at some time in the future - be some "advanced spoilers"? With multiple choice, allowing to specify the spoiled book(s)? I believe it is feasible, and, if it is not so very easy, it would be really helpful.

P.S. There appear more and more threads with the word "spoilers" in the title. I wish we would all come to an agreement on our spoiler policy as soon as possible.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Obviously it needs to be re looked at. I was off the grid all day yesterday so I will try and come up with some ideas to solve it soon.

What I don't want is every thread title on the board saying **possible spoilers**

The trick is to figure out where it is necessary and where it is not. Believe me, this question has been in my head from the moment I thought about doing this.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What I don't want is every thread title on the board saying **possible spoilers**
    Absolutely. That's what happened at TDT.net, by the way. No, it must be said very clearly that **possible spoilers** are permitted only in specific forums. The Baronies seem to naturally invite it (and Turtleback, by the way, too: spoilers inside a story or, God forbid, a poem would look pathetic). In all other forums they might even be explicitly forbidden. It may sound complicated, but as experience shows, the more complicated a structure, the easier it is for users after they overcome the first shock.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It may sound complicated, but as experience shows, the more complicated a structure, the easier it is for users after they overcome the first shock.
    That is very true which is why you have to get it out there and established, then stick with it so people can count on a standard.

Which is totally the goal.

I still think that Aarons spoiler idea holds but I think it may have been misinterpreted a little. I read it the "death of someone" meaning a reference to that very moment.

Any mention about how they got there, what was being done at the time...any of that would be acceptable. "The End" is obviously no good where ever you put it...stuff like that.

I think the established rules are based on a huge amount of common sense which is that if you go into the forum where we are discussing the seventh book and you haven't read it yet, that's kind of a bad idea

I would think we could solve this whole problem with a simple "Spoiler Guideline" in the FAQ that specifically spells out what to expect on the forum.

Aarons big three for spoilers is based on the idea that people will take a broad notion of what they could see if they venture into discussions on books they have not read yet and kind of police themselves.

It was a lot of work to come up with a specific spoiler requirement thread for every forum and I think if people read it and considered it openly we would find out that most of the discussion doesn't need tags at all.

But I would really hate to spoil a major plot point or the ending for anyone so we do have to be careful.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

is there any way we can get the av sizes bumped up a bit? Nothing insane, just bigger than Bazooka Joe Comics.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its up to a pretty good size already Spencer, larger than what you have there but if you are uploading it from your computer for the site, you might end up with a restriction.

Is it hosted?

Country
    Country Flag

I'm hotlinking stuff, and it's telling me the max size is 80x80, which most images I'm trying to link are larger than. I'll just have to pull stuff I want off and resize it down instead of hotlinking.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

hmmm...I have it set for 100x100..max size 2k

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, when I said 80x80, I MEANT 100x100. Oops. I can pull off images I want and resize em under that. I think what's happening is that, instead of resizing to fit, this board just says "remote file too large". Manual resizing will take care of that.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The spoiler requirements have been amended in The Baronies. There actually are forums here that already allow "spoiler threads", and I really just didn't think about it in relation to The Baronies. Easy enough to add. I guess that I just hadn't anticipated someone starting threads specifically about the ending or people who died. Not my smartest moment, but it's all fixed now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast