Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 3205

Thread: Technical questions about the site

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Did you try clicking on the "Switch editor mode" button near the top right?
    It's a square with two "A's" in it.
    Comparing his screenshots to my window, I don't even have that button. I have the button next to it that increases/decreases the size of the window. But that's it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I dont have that button either.

Whats worrying is that Brian is entering HTML tags in his post which AFAIK shouldn't be allowed as it's specifically switched off. Thats why we have the BBCODE tags so that it limits whats allowed in the markup.
    Having HTML switched on opens the site up to some nefarious posts...

While vB provides the capability to allow HTML, one should never use it. It opens your board to attack.

Use bbcodes. If you need to emulate an HTML tag, write a new bbcode.

The problem with allowing the injection of HTML is a complicated one. There is no 100% safe method to allow HTML and feel secure. Some of the issues and interactions are:

1. The obviously dangerous tags like SCRIPT and APPLET are not the only danger. Any injection of a URL can be dangerous. Any tag that allows for a URL (e.g., a, img, frame, ...) can be used for cross-site scripting and cookie stealing, which can allow someone to hack into your board.

2. Hackers can use various tricks that would result in a tag getting through the filter imposed by the PHP checker. Possible examples:
    a) <sc\0ript> becomes <script>
    b) <scr<embed>ipt> becomes <embed> or <script>

3. Then there is the issue of malicious tag attributes and events such as onclick and onmouseup.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I dont have that button either.

Whats worrying is that Brian is entering HTML tags in his post which AFAIK shouldn't be allowed as it's specifically switched off. Thats why we have the BBCODE tags so that it limits whats allowed in the markup.
    Having HTML switched on opens the site up to some nefarious posts...

While vB provides the capability to allow HTML, one should never use it. It opens your board to attack.

Use bbcodes. If you need to emulate an HTML tag, write a new bbcode.

The problem with allowing the injection of HTML is a complicated one. There is no 100% safe method to allow HTML and feel secure. Some of the issues and interactions are:

1. The obviously dangerous tags like SCRIPT and APPLET are not the only danger. Any injection of a URL can be dangerous. Any tag that allows for a URL (e.g., a, img, frame, ...) can be used for cross-site scripting and cookie stealing, which can allow someone to hack into your board.

2. Hackers can use various tricks that would result in a tag getting through the filter imposed by the PHP checker. Possible examples:
    a) <sc\0ript> becomes <script>
    b) <scr<embed>ipt> becomes <embed> or <script>

3. Then there is the issue of malicious tag attributes and events such as onclick and onmouseup.
    Wow didn't even notice that... wonder if some HTML gets translated to BB on insert of the reply.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Good thing I'm not a hacker. It is worrying that one could gain access though.

I just ran CCleaner to clear out cookies, history, settings, and the registry. It seems that the site is working again.

Did you also do something, Simon? I don't think I could have granted myself HTML privileges.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, a quick bit of testing shows HTML is definitely off.

That button is not shown in Chrome but does appear if using Firefox. Basically it switches the editor into WYSIWYG mode, but doesn't allow entering of HTML
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Ok, a quick bit of testing shows HTML is definitely off.

That button is not shown in Chrome but does appear if using Firefox. Basically it switches the editor into WYSIWYG mode, but doesn't allow entering of HTML
    I find it makes editing easier when posting multiple images. You'll see the links with BBCode tags instead of the picture.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is anyone else having issues with the site lately? When I try and come here I always get the below error on Chrome. If I go through Mozilla it works just fine.

*Running Windows 10 Chrome Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm having zero issues, using Firefox.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No problems with IE.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Is anyone else having issues with the site lately? When I try and come here I always get the below error on Chrome. If I go through Mozilla it works just fine.

No problem with Windows Chrome 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit) for me.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just cleared cookies and Cache and it's still happening... Weird. Maybe I'll just move overt to firefox

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

When I test with the exact version of Chrome that you are running there is no problem accessing the page.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

When I test with the exact version of Chrome that you are running there is no problem accessing the page.
    I'm guessing it's my chrome. I don't think there is an issue on your end. Seems to happen mostly with this site but now I'm seeing it in other places as well.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Anyone else getting a database error screen when trying to navigate the site?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry about the site outage. Hopefully all is well now.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

???

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Has there been a bad merge? These last three posts look like they belong somewhere else.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is this related to the site issue we had yesterday? I have one PM showing unread and had an email notification come in, but inside my PM area I do not see any new message... Weird.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

My latest posts have all vanished and it seems no new posts are shown for the last 8 hours. Something's wrong, but I don't know what.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like there might still be an issue. when I try looking at the thread 'Aftermarket Slipcases & Traycases'. I can hit page 46 but when I try to go to the last post I get:

Database Error Database error
    The Palaver - A forum for Stephen King fans & Book Collectors database has encountered a problem.
    Please try the following:
    Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    Open the www.thedarktower.org home page, then try to open another page.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    The www.thedarktower.org forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like there might still be an issue. when I try looking at the thread 'Aftermarket Slipcases & Traycases'. I can hit page 46 but when I try to go to the last post I get:

Database Error Database error
    The Palaver - A forum for Stephen King fans & Book Collectors database has encountered a problem.
    Please try the following:
    Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    Open the www.thedarktower.org home page, then try to open another page.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    The www.thedarktower.org forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
    Yes, for me it's page 47. I know there are more posts after that ('cos I posted them) , but I dont see them. The last Post I see is from Kerry (Sentinel)

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It seems all of my posts from this morning have gone.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Simon IDK what you just posted as now that you posted here I can no longer open the last page of this one either. I confirmed it on a few other pages too. I tried other browsers and it's happening in all of them.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We are working on the database error problem.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Working on database error

+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 ... LastLast