Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jim Butcher fans?

Along the Path of the Beam The Man With No Name is on a distinguished road The Man With No Name's Avatar

Default Jim Butcher fans?

Just want to know if any here are fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books? I have everyone of them except for the upcoming one called Small Favor.

I'd say right now that my favorite of the series is Blood Rites.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard of him or the books before.

Is it a series? What genre are they?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I've read one of the books. It was great. I just haven't had time to read the others. I really enjoyed the TV show that was based on the Dresden books.

My friend Daniel is a huge Jim Butcher fan.

Erin:

The Dresden Files is a fantasy/mystery novel series by Jim Butcher. Each novel in the series is told from the fictional perspective of Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden (named by his father after Harry Houdini, Harry Blackstone, Sr., and David Copperfield). Dresden is the only professional wizard in modern-day Chicago (he is in the phone book, under the yellow pages heading "Wizards").

Butcher's original proposed title for the first novel was "Semiautomagic", a title that sums up the series' balance of fantasy and hard-boiled detective fiction. In the world of The Dresden Files, magic is real, along with vampires, demons, spirits, faeries, werewolves, and more. The general public that Harry Dresden works to protect does not believe in magic or the large array of dark forces which regularly conspire against them. This makes it tough for Harry to get by as a working wizard and private eye. Fortunately, the Chicago PD's Special Investigation unit led by Lt. Karrin Murphy regularly employs Dresden to help solve cases of a supernatural nature.

The series is also notable for Dresden's references to modern pop culture, such as the Evil Overlord List.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Along the Path of the Beam The Man With No Name is on a distinguished road The Man With No Name's Avatar

Harry Dresden is a resident of Chicago. He is the only wizard in the Chicago Yellow Pages. Whenever the Chicago Police Department comes across a crime that has seemingly or obvious "unusual" circumstances around it, they refer it to the CPD's Special Investigations Unit (SI). SI is headed by Karrin Murphy and she uses Harry Dresden as a consultant/private investigator. The cases always involve something supernatural and deadly.

The series is a mix of hard boiled detective/supernatural fiction.

Very good information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I have read one so far and enjoyed it. I even siggied one of the characters and am starting to read another one. Raron introduced me so I must continue...

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I knew I'd seen a Jim Butcher thread here somewhere!

Almost finished Dead Beat, which is my first JB book ever. The first few pages I was thinking, "I hope this isn't some Anne Rice style bollocks!" but he's way better than that. I love Harry's sense of humour, he's such a smartass - reminds me of Robert B Parker's detective, Spenser.

I'll definately be going back and reading all the other Dresden books

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i love the dresden novels and was a huge fan of the dresden files on tv. but of course, scifi had to cancel it so they could show wrestling. fucking wrestling - instead of the dresden files. go figure.

i just got the series on dvd though, so i can watch it over and over again. and i have all the books so i can read them over and over again, too. i loved small favor (the newest release). can't wait for another one. why does it take so looooooooong???????

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Okay now I have read every single one of the Dresden files books and am eagerly waiting for the comic book and to read his new fantasy series...

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

I am slowly reading this series as I get them at the library. They are great so far. I have read 3 and waiting on the 4th book.

My Mood
    Worried

For those who have read the most recent dresden book
    Spoiler:
    I am disappointed by Michael being hurt so badly I really like his charactter and want more of him. Also, why Dresden and Luccio? Sounds intersting and all, but I would much rather see him with his female cop!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't - so I didn't read that

But at subpress at the moment, they're selling Backup which is a novelette in which Thomas has to rescue Harry...it's $20 plus a small shipping fee.

My Mood
    Worried

I loveThomas's character...

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It arrived!!

My Mood
    Worried

Have you read the graphic novel yet???

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

New Dresden book out next month! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_(novel)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to read more of these.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've listened to the first five so far.

I'm trying to slow down because books 7-9 (something like that) haven't been released on Audible. I read they would be completed soon.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Off topic, but I had to say of course you are a wonderful friend.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

I'm such a huge fan!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i finally got white knight (took me forever). the pause between his books was killing me
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Read Changes yesterday, almost entirely in one go - it was that good I couldn't put it down! I wish he'd write like, 5 at a time

Country
    Country Flag

re-reading blood rites on my re-read of the series
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Gunslinger Apprentice disel24 is on a distinguished road disel24's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd love to find these in PDF format to read on my psp. I liked the tv series that scifi put out some years ago

Country
    Country Flag

yeh the show was a little different than the books, but it was pretty good.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

i didn't watch the series, it was re-running over here last year - but I'm one of those people that can't generally enjoy a tv series or movie of a book I've liked because I can't stop myself from going "that didn't happen!"..."that character is completely made up!"...etc

Westie, hurry and catch up! I want to talk about the last couple of books with you!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast