Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Crichton

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well I've been lucky in that I've been able to procure most of these for actually under $20, some ridiculously so. I didn't mean to come off sounding snobby, it's just that I can't enjoy a book if it's a tiny paperback. And when we begin talking paperbacks released years and decades ago...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Heath View Post
    I just have an aversion to paperbacks
    I have an aversion to paying 20+ dollars for books.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Devastating news...

Mr. Crichton has unexpectedly passed away today at the young age of 66 due to cancer.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/11/67369/

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

yeah, I just heard that on the radio 5 minutes ago!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

BBC reports :

Author Michael Crichton dies, 66

Michael Crichton won awards including an Emmy.

Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park has died, aged 66, 2008 after a "courageous and private battle against cancer," his family has said.

He penned the books Congo, Twister and the popular Jurassic Park trilogy, all of which were adapted into films.

He also created the long-running US hospital drama ER and his books have sold more than 150 million copies.

"He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched," his family said in a statement.

Crichton has won an Emmy, a Peabody, and a Writer's Guild of America Award for ER.

A private funeral service is expected.

Sad News indeed.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Terrible news. He battled 'a private war with cancer' For a guy who went through medical school (though he quit to write) it makes me wonder what he was thinking.
    Surprisingly terrible news indeed.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Country
    Country Flag

He was working on a new novel. There wasn't much information, but he seemed to be along quite well. Hopefully it could see the light of day as a testament to his art and life.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was very surprised and saddened to hear this.

My condolences go out to his family.

I was lucky enough to get a signed gift edition of Jurassic Park which was my most favorite of his works.

Life is a garden...dig it!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

he's one of of my favorite authors
    this really sucks.

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished collecting his first editions earlier this year.

What a loss...

Country
    Country Flag

Seems like the novel he was working on was scheduled for release this December. It's been pushed back to May now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0007241011/

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I started a new thread on this up in The Oracle before I saw this.

Mods, do what you want.

Michael Crichton--

John

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

RIP Michael Crichton
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Country
    Country Flag

According to a poster on another forum, Michael Crichton actually revised his two early novels (under the pen-name John Lange) that were recently published, like King's The Colorado King, in Hard Case Crime. For one of those Crichton even wrote new framing chapters, he says.

Traveler Savoury is on a distinguished road Savoury's Avatar

I particularly like the unique blend of science and suspense. I'm particularly fond of The Andromeda Strain. At times the focus shifts a bit too much on science perhaps, that it sometimes seems to lose it's functionality but it never really bothers me.

Traveler JiMiTHiNG is on a distinguished road

Was very sad to hear of his passing. I have enjoyed everything I have read by him. I think the Great Train Robbery was my favorite. It felt a lot different then all the other things he wrote. I agree that his charters are always a little thin and under developed. But they are really just bit parts with the technology or situation being what the story is always really about.

Along the Path of the Beam Beamer is on a distinguished road Beamer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read Next, it was ok....

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I just got a paperback edition of both Next(i have a hardcover, but i just couldn't resist) and Congo from a used goods store. My old copy of Congo was left in our car and got destroyed.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just reread Timeline, Congo and Jurassic Park.

That was some good stuff.

Country
    Country Flag

Posthumous Crichton Novels on the Way

Michael Crichton, the best-selling author of technological thrillers like “The Andromeda Strain” and “Jurassic Park” who died of cancer in November, left behind at least one finished novel and about one-third of a second. Both will be released over the next year and a half, his publisher said.

HarperCollins, Mr. Crichton’s publisher for his previous three books, will release “Pirate Latitudes,” an adventure story set in Jamaica in the 17th century, on Nov. 24. The company also plans to publish a technological thriller in the fall of 2010, a novel that Mr. Crichton was working on when he died.

Jonathan Burnham, publisher of Harper, an imprint of HarperCollins, said Mr. Crichton evidently wrote “Pirate Latitudes” at the same time that he wrote “Next,” his last published novel.

The new novel, discovered by Mr. Crichton’s assistant in the writer’s computer files after his death, features a pirate named Hunter and the governor of Jamaica, and their plan to raid a Spanish treasure galleon.

“It’s eminently and deeply and thoroughly researched,” Mr. Burnham said. “It’s packed through with great detail about navigation and how pirates operated, and links between the New World and the Caribbean and Spain.”

The novel represents a departure from Mr. Crichton’s longtime fictional preoccupation with the moral and social ramifications of science and technology. But Mr. Burnham pointed out that “Pirate Latitudes” also harks back to the kind of historical yarn that Mr. Crichton wrote in the “The Great Train Robbery,” first published in 1975. Mr. Burnham said that the book needed little editing and that Harper planned a first printing of 1 million copies.

At the time of Mr. Crichton’s death he was under contract for the second of a two-book deal that began with “Next.” He had begun that second novel, a technological thriller, but was only about a third of the way through. Mr. Burnham said that the publisher would work with Lynn Nesbit, Mr. Crichton’s agent of 40 years, and his estate to select a co-writer who would finish the book, working from Mr. Crichton’s notes.

“We want a high-level thriller writer, somebody who understands Michael’s work,” Mr. Burnham said. “From what I gather, there are notes and indications of which direction the novel was going, so the writer has material to work from apart from the actual material that was finished.”

Neither Mr. Burnham nor Ms. Nesbit has seen the unfinished novel. Ms. Nesbit said that Mr. Crichton was “the most private of all authors that I have ever met in my life,” and that he never showed his agent or his editor any material before he had a complete draft. She said that other than the general category of technological thriller, she had no idea what the incomplete novel was about.

Ms. Nesbit said that she and Mr. Burnham had discussed some possible co-writers, but no decision had been made. She added that any selection would be made in collaboration with Sherri Crichton, Mr. Crichton’s widow, acting on behalf of his estate.

In “Next” Mr. Crichton explored the ethical dilemmas posed by the expanding field of genetics. According to Nielsen BookScan, which represents about 70 percent of retail sales and does not cover retailers like WalMart, the book sold 500,000 copies. Mr. Burnham said that the figure was closer to 800,000 copies.

Ms. Nesbit said that Mr. Crichton left “many, many electronic files,” and that there could well be other novels or unfinished material. “We haven’t begun to really go through it all,” she said.

Mr. Burnham said, though, that HarperCollins had no plans to take Mr. Crichton’s name and create a franchise in the way that ghostwriters have continued to publish books under Robert Ludlum’s name long after his death. “We’re not taking a name brand and spinning books out of it,” Mr. Burnham said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/06/bo...?_r=2&ref=arts

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

This pleases me to no end.

Country
    Country Flag

Indeed. The novel sounds very interesting, and hopefully they'll do justice to the unfinished one. As they said, there could be more unpublished material, novels even.

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I've read The Andromeda Strain, The Lost World, Terminal Man and Next. He probably would have been a great author if his characters were as dynamic as his scientific extrapolations. To me they seemed like so many leaves in the wind. He was a thinking man's Irwin Allen if you will.

Country
    Country Flag

John F. Kennedy mate211 is on a distinguished road mate211's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first book was Jurassic park I was only 8 or 9 years old. It was scarry but i loved that.
    RIP
    "Hope is a good thing,and the good things dont die!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast