Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Crichton

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Crichton writes about his insecurities about himself and overcoming them. The first 1/3 is his experiences in med school and the last 2/3rds are about him visiting different countries (hence Travels) overcoming what he believes to be his insecurities. Go get it, it is an amazing books.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's an autobiography of Crichton's life from the point where he decided to abandon medicine and his worldwide travels thereafter. It's a fascinating book.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't heard of it either. It just went on "THE LIST".

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    All of a sudden I am on a Michael Crichton kick. I've often wanted to read him but never been able to for some reason. Now, thanks to the marvel that is the Internet and more specifically places like Amazon Marketplace, I've been able to get most of his novels in first edition hardcovers in new or like-new conditions, each for under 5 or 10 bucks. Score! Now, the luck ran out on his five earliest novels: The Andromeda Strain (0394415256), Terminal Man (0394447689), The Great Train Robbery (0394494016), Eaters of the Dead (0394494008 ), and Congo (0394513924). I'm looking for a little help from the good folks around these parts on locating any of the above for a good price. I realize the newest book in this list came out the year I was born, but still... some sellers want $100 give or take $50 for some of these I'm looking to spend something a little more modest.

Quoting myself here. Not that anyone cares, but I've finally been able to procure four of the five above-mentioned hardcovers in new or like-new states on Amazon Marketplace and Half.com for very good prices, around 10-15 bucks each. Now my Crichton collection is nearly complete. Just Eaters of the Dead remains.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Crichton novels are the largest collection of books I got. king is #2. this guys a genius. i think it's funny though that he's scared of blood. I never read the great train robbery, couldn't get a copy of eaters of the dead, and couldn't get int timeline or Terminal man, but I love most of his other books.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I Crichton...

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Always like Crichton. The last book of his I read was Timeline and thought afterwards it would make a good movie.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

They did make a movie out of Timeline, but not a very good one. There's a remake of Andromeda Strain playing on A&E these days that is okay -- not great, but okay.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i just bought the dvd of Sphere. the next day it was on tv

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just started his A Case Of Need (written under his the moniker Jeffery Hudson back in 69) and its pretty darn good. Usually not for medical thrillers, but, of course, having taken medical school and just being Chrichton himself, he writes a great book here.

See us both in the black

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey speaking of Crichton, it seems he's republishing his early novels written under the pseudonym of John Lange, through Hard Case Crime who published The Colorado Kid:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0843959592/
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/084395597X/

Hopefully we can see more of these, and in hardcover, too.

Gunslinger Apprentice ZGDK is on a distinguished road ZGDK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been wanting to read some of his books for a while I'm just not sure what to start with.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first I read was Five Patients (I believe that was the name) and I was hooked. It is a great read!

Terminal Man and Andromeda Strain are excellent places to begin. Also the movie adaptations of those and The Great Train Robbery, the latter starring Sean Connery. Also WestWorld, which was scripted and directed by MC, starring Yul Brynner, which has a few Dark Towerish moments (Brynner, robotic creatures like Andy)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great suggestions. I would also suggest Jurassic Park, its up there as one of my favorite books.

If you are thinking..."eh, I saw the movie"...its much different and better.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZGDK View Post
    I've been wanting to read some of his books for a while I'm just not sure what to start with.
    I'd start at Timeline. Kind of a modern sci-fi thriller. If you want to learn about the author himself read Travels. He talks about dropping out of medical school to become an author and dealing with his personal demons. Excellent book.

The first I read was Five Patients (I believe that was the name) and I was hooked. It is a great read!
    I have my hands on this, I should get around to reading it.

See us both in the black

Country
    Country Flag

My first Crichton book was Prey. A newer novel, but just excellent. Non-stop action. Finished it in a few days which is blazing fast for me. I have since acquired most of his previous books, as well as the newest, missing only two, in fact. A great writer, in my opinion, vastly underrated due to so-so movie adaptations (sorta like King, in that, I guess).

i couldn't read Prey the first time. now i love it.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The last Crichton book I read was Next. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I have read most of his work and do have a few of his books in my collection. I rate him along the same level as Koontz, McCammon, and Barker.

Country
    Country Flag

I've now completed my collection of Crichton fiction! So happy! I now have all of his novels in hardcover all lined up, even The Andromeda Strain as a first edition (my oldest book).

i wonder what hi next book will be

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I've now completed my collection of Crichton fiction! So happy! I now have all of his novels in hardcover all lined up, even The Andromeda Strain as a first edition (my oldest book).
    Are you also collecting his pseudonyms?

See us both in the black

Country
    Country Flag

I do have a hardcover reprint of A Case of Need under Crichton's name, but that's it for now. I may seek them out, but most were published in paperback only (Binary was in hardcover, and I believe that's the only one, but I'm not positive). I just have an aversion to paperbacks, so I never buy them.

Country
    Country Flag

I just have an aversion to paperbacks
    I have an aversion to paying 20+ dollars for books. I find being 6-8 months behind and only paying 7 dollars much more agreeable.

See us both in the black

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast