Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Crichton

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Michael Crichton

All of a sudden I am on a Michael Crichton kick. I've often wanted to read him but never been able to for some reason. Now, thanks to the marvel that is the Internet and more specifically places like Amazon Marketplace, I've been able to get most of his novels in first edition hardcovers in new or like-new conditions, each for under 5 or 10 bucks. Score! Now, the luck ran out on his five earliest novels: The Andromeda Strain (0394415256), Terminal Man (0394447689), The Great Train Robbery (0394494016), Eaters of the Dead (0394494008 ), and Congo (0394513924). I'm looking for a little help from the good folks around these parts on locating any of the above for a good price. I realize the newest book in this list came out the year I was born, but still... some sellers want $100 give or take $50 for some of these I'm looking to spend something a little more modest.

Gunslinger Apprentice KO1 is on a distinguished road KO1's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read alot of his work back in Junior High and High School.

Congo, Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, Terminal Man, and The Great Train Robbery.

His work isnt bad, I actually enjoyed quite a few of those novels. but occasionally he comes off a bit full of himself, making passages more complex not for the benifit of the story, but almost seems to make himself seem more intelignent. Just my two cents though

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

He also has a bunch of paperback originals he wrote to put himself through med school under the pseudonyms John Lange and Jeffrey Hudson

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crichton

Crichton isn't a stylist and not very good at writing characters, but I always come away from his books feeling like I've learned something.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I do like Michael Crichton a lot, but more so in a "quick, fun, summertime-read" type way. His books are perfect for a vacation at the beach.

I really really enjoyed Timeline and The Andromeda Strain the most out of his books.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got a book with three of his novels; Great train Robbery, Andromeda Strain and the Terminal Man. I read Jurassic park as a kid, don't recall much of it. Lost World was a fantastic book and about 95% different from the movie. My brother read Sphere, he said it was okay.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

I checked that book out of the library, the one with the three stories. Good stuff. I read Jurassic Park a long time ago, it was great. Much better then the movie, but then aren't they all?

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Being a huge Crichton fan myself I'd also highly suggest, 'Sphere', 'Prey', and 'State of Fear'. I loved on particular lip smacking tasty chapter in 'State of Fear'! Desert any one?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm almost done reading Prey. A lot of fun. I'll have a complete collection if I get those five books.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read a lot of his works and I like them. I just finished one called A Case Of Need that he wrote under a different name when he was only twenty five. But I've always had the feeling that he goes out of his way to show how intelligent he is. We get it, you're a doctor, you're super smart.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've really enjoyed his books. I listened to "Next" recently--it was quite interesting in a kind of way.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I used to read quite a bit of him, but I haven't picked up any of his more recent stuff. My favorites are Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and The Adromeda Strain.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Jurassic Park is one of my favorite books ever. Its such a good read.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Timeline was my favorite, it started my own Crichton kick, but Matt didn't like it. Go figure. Anyway, Jurassic Park is a classic.

Lance: TOTALLY. My other gripe with him: He frequently writes about these quirkily attractive, super-smart people in their late 20s or early 30s who don't have close friends or significant others and somehow find their soul mate during his plot. I was glad to see he broke away from that in Prey, which was the last one I read.

PS: I also liked Congo, but Eaters of the Dead is pretty over-styled, IMO.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've always loved Chrichton. State of Fear was AWESOME. I never got the impression he was trying to show his smarts off, but that's just me. I know that he does an amazing amount of research for his books, so when he writes stuff, it's factually correct. Erin, you must be a ton smarter than I am, because I have never considered him a "quick and breezy" read. I think Jurassic Park, and it's themes of chaos theory, the inability of man to contain life, and the idea that fucking around with genetics could lead to some potential disasters was complex, and gave me a ton of food for thought. I really didn't care much for Next, it wandered and was undeveloped.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm no big smarty!

I think what I meant by "quick and breezy" was that even though he does write about complex themes and has chapters of deep scientific discussion, he is such a good writer, he makes it very easily understandable and consumed by the general population. His novels are so suspenseful that I'm always tearing through them fast and eating them up. I didn't really mean that like they are flimsy, dumbed down books by any means.

Oh...and I haven't read Next yet, although I got it last Christmas. What is it about even?

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's about Genetic Engineering. I like it, I just didn't think it was his greatest ever.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you guys haven't checked it out yet, pick up Five Patients... it was my first Crichton read and I loved it.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

His autobiography, Travels, is also great. It gets a little "out there" at the end, but I enjoyed the book a lot.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've still got my hardcover of Lost World I read when I was ten. One day, soon, I'll read it again. I recall staying up all night and reading the whole second half of the book. Movie made me cry WHAT DID THEY DO!>?!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

I like Crichton, and have read several of his books. The film adaptations are usually garbage compared to his novels ... Jurassic park being an exception.

Timeline's one of my favorites ... maybe because it was the one I've read most recently. I liked his whole time travel concept, with quantum physics and parallel universes. Messing with technology that's basically impossible to understand Good stuff.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Timeline a lot too. It basically spoke to what I believe time travel is.

Just another alternate universe
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sphere by Crichton is in my top 10 novels.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read Travels? EXCELLENT book. Possibly the best non fiction book I have ever read.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skolpadda View Post
    Has anyone read Travels? EXCELLENT book. Possibly the best non fiction book I have ever read.
    What's it about? I haven't heard of it at all.

And Feev, I forgot all about Sphere. I loved that book.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast