Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

As a buyer, if an item is particularily cool - I always ask for both insurance and tracking. That's for my sake, because really - I don't want a refund, I want the cool thing!

Sorry, herbert, but I think you should probably do as RF suggests - "save the agony, learn from your lesson and give the person a refund".
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    herbert, save the agony, learn from your lesson and give the person a refund.
    Personally I would not voluntarily give a refund. Jeremy has done nothing wrong and has fulfilled his obligation as a seller. If PayPal wants to come in and reverse the charges then let them. That is out of Jeremy's control. But I certainly wouldn't admit to being at fault when I have done nothing wrong.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree Bob, but if it were me I am not sure what I would do - I have a 100% positive feedback and would hate to see it damaged becaseu the good ole USPS screwed up and lost an item that I shipped.

When I seel anything for $50 or more I insist on the buyer paying for insurance! Just in case. When I buy anything of value I try to get it insured! Like Turlex I don't want a refund, I want what I legitimately won in auction. :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i've checked on the paypal website and yeah i think i will loose anyway.
    the buyer seems nice and i also am, so i will offer him that we both 'lose' on it, 50/50.
    there are chances he will accept as he believe i am courteous, and 50/50 will allow him to buy the same book on another website (i will provide him the link) : so basically he will get the book for the same money... i will be losing half of it... such is life
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    herbert, save the agony, learn from your lesson and give the person a refund.
    Personally I would not voluntarily give a refund. Jeremy has done nothing wrong and has fulfilled his obligation as a seller. If PayPal wants to come in and reverse the charges then let them. That is out of Jeremy's control. But I certainly wouldn't admit to being at fault when I have done nothing wrong.

Huh? He hasn't remotely fulfilled his obligation as a seller - he took money and hasn't yet provided the product.

It's totally not his fault; it's the shipping companies fault, but a seller takes money in good faith that he'll get the product to the person. If you're argument is about insurance not being paid for, that's the buyer's responsibility when it comes to damage, but the product still has to appear. Otherwise, why would anyone trust anyone?

This is a case of bad luck, nothing more, but as sellers we have to actually, you know, make sure we get the product to the customer.

I tell you what...anyone who wants can send me $500 and I'll send out a s/l Gunslinger. I'm not going to track it, and I'm not going insure it, but I feel reaaal good that it'll get to you...you know?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Huh? He hasn't remotely fulfilled his obligation as a seller - he took money and hasn't yet provided the product.
    I guess my feelings are that we don't know that the buyer has received the book and is now claiming that he hasn't received it. Jeremy says that the buyer seems like a nice guy but what con artist doesn't come across that way? That is the reason they are able to "con."

To me, voluntarily sending this guy some money is an admission of guilt when there is no guilt on Jeremy's part. I would not send this guy anything. Let PayPal work it out. That is what the resolution center is for. They may investigate and find this guy has done the same thing before and rule in Jeremy's favor. Or, as someone else mentioned, the book may eventually be delivered.

I also wouldn't worry about an isolated instance of unwarranted negative feedback. Most eBay users are savvy enough ignore a single negative if the explanation makes sense.

It's a good topic and one we may all face at one time or another. Hopefully I will learn something that may help me later.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Carlos : it crossed my mind that he might have recieved and wants the money too.. but i dont know for sure.

The buyer have accepted my offer : we both share the loss. 50-50 (is better than me losing it all by paypal, as cant prove have been posted)

he says that what matters is that he gets the book (it was supposed to be a gift, he told me that from the beginning) : so i'll see if the book on abebook disappear within a week or so. If not, i can suspect that he was a con. He get the benefit of my doubt, and i always want everything to get sorted : i am a 'fair guy'.
    I usually gets a lot of review copies so i rarely pay (french Stephen King related) books. On top of that, i've recently sold quite a few extra, so for once this loss will be ok.... and i'll get a lesson from it
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I guess my feelings are that we don't know that the buyer has received the book and is now claiming that he hasn't received it. Jeremy says that the buyer seems like a nice guy but what con artist doesn't come across that way? That is the reason they are able to "con."

To me, voluntarily sending this guy some money is an admission of guilt when there is no guilt on Jeremy's part. I would not send this guy anything. Let PayPal work it out. That is what the resolution center is for. They may investigate and find this guy has done the same thing before and rule in Jeremy's favor. Or, as someone else mentioned, the book may eventually be delivered.

I also wouldn't worry about an isolated instance of unwarranted negative feedback. Most eBay users are savvy enough ignore a single negative if the explanation makes sense.

It's a good topic and one we may all face at one time or another. Hopefully I will learn something that may help me later.

Yeah, the question about whether it's a con or not is a different issue, and to let Paypal deal with it rahter than admit the blame is probably a good idea in a similar-type situation...I misunderstood what you meant...bottom line, though, that's why the seller needs to protect themselves.

I would still wait a couple weeks before sending anything...

Country
    Country Flag

(the book is sold from abebooks)

I would also wait couple of weeks more... BUT complaints to paypal must be done within 20 days, AND next week i am going back to Scotland.
    I'll send a check, and we both agreed that if the books turns up to me i'll send him and he'll send me the money, and he'll send me the money if he gets it...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know why a seller (shipping within the U.S.), wouldn't pay the nominal amount to have a "Signature Required" shipment.

Yes, within the US, there's really no reason...but for int'l shipments it's just as important, because it's actually likelier that something can go wrong.

On Abebooks, they put a place to input the tracking number. In fact, when they process credit cards for sellers they make a point of saying "we take all the risk, etc." UNLESS you don't/can't provide some proof of shipment.

Then, of course, they only put an international shipping charge of $14 on packages, which is absurd (Tracked shipping from US to UK is at least $40), so then you have to request extra charges from the buyer and it's a whole big mess....pretty much another reason why I'm pulling my books off of Abe at the end of the year.

In this case, it's just a lesson learned...If you spend any time selling at all, you're pretty much guaranteed a lost package, a damaged package, and probably a package that gets returned to you for a mistake on the address so you have to pay shipping three times - to, from, and then back to the buyer again...

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Yes, within the US, there's really no reason...but for int'l shipments it's just as important, because it's actually likelier that something can go wrong.

On Abebooks, they put a place to input the tracking number. In fact, when they process credit cards for sellers they make a point of saying "we take all the risk, etc." UNLESS you don't/can't provide some proof of shipment.

Then, of course, they only put an international shipping charge of $14 on packages, which is absurd (Tracked shipping from US to UK is at least $40), so then you have to request extra charges from the buyer and it's a whole big mess....pretty much another reason why I'm pulling my books off of Abe at the end of the year.

In this case, it's just a lesson learned...If you spend any time selling at all, you're pretty much guaranteed a lost package, a damaged package, and probably a package that gets returned to you for a mistake on the address so you have to pay shipping three times - to, from, and then back to the buyer again...
    and then there's the guy who received the book you sold him and said...oops. I already own this book. can I return it?.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ummm...if they bought it and you represented the item with a full description and/or pictures I don't think I'd accept that. I'd just politely suggest that they resell it then.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally signed up for this. Hope it goes as well as you've billed it!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Vagrant Dead pickle is on a distinguished road pickle's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

grrr... not for the UK
    ... From the keyboard of Kevin

"A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Doesn't look like ebay has any cashback at the moment, but they seem to offer it every few weeks.
    Mark Twain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Doesn't look like ebay has any cashback at the moment, but they seem to offer it every few weeks.
    Thanks, no worries, one of these days I'll try it out.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

The item finally arrived, and the buyer was honnest enough to let me know that will send my check back.
    Must have been stucked at the swiss customs for some reason... 1 month and half to send it to switzerland...

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    The item finally arrived, and the buyer was honnest enough to let me know that will send my check back.
    Must have been stucked at the swiss customs for some reason... 1 month and half to send it to switzerland...

From personal experience, Swiss post must be run by Saint Bernard carriers through the mountains!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I thought it was on the buyer to request insurance?
    Congrats Herbert on getting it cleared up!

And I thought I would comment, on "the buyer is to pay for insurance". This always ticks me off. If I get the book damaged, or I do not receive the book, then I am returning it (if damaged) or I am going through eBay to get my money back (if never arrived). I will not pay an extra fee for insurance. If the seller can't get the book to me, even if it's the post office's fault, it's not my problem. I didn't receive it so I'm getting my money back.

I always pay for insurance myself when I sell on eBay, to cover my own butt, not the buyer's butt. I do not charge the buyer and have always been perplexed at why that option is even supported by eBay. The seller gets screwed if it doesn't arrive, not the buyer.
    Geoff

Yes, the whole 'buyer pays insurance' is phony...it's the seller's job to get the item to the buyer, and if it gets lost it doesn't matter to the buyer.

If it gets damaged without insurance, that's a different argument...but, since Paypal charges can be disputed for cuase, it's still up to the seller to pack correctly and avoid that possibility.

Insurance is actually pretty useless in the case of damage anyway...the post office is the one's who determine whether the item is packed well enough, or if the damage merits being covered...so while it's good in event of loss, I'm not sure the post office would even grant a claim for a 'torn dustjacket' or whatever.

Glad this worked out and glad your buyer was honest! I told you to be patient! Haha....

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Glad it worked out for you.

( what I had meant, that it was up the the buyer to request insurance )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Glad it worked out for you.

( what I had meant, that it was up the the buyer to request insurance )
    I just wanted to comment on the insurance topic, not attack your statement. I just think eBay is screwy when it expect the buyer to pay for the insurence.
    Geoff

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Another point regarding insurance, I've had a rather unhappy transaction in the past year with a respectable seller ( no, it's not Shibus, Hutch or Calla Wolf in case you are wondering). I paid for the item which was $400 including free shipping and assumed since the seller is established, he would take good care in packing and getting it to me in the most reliable method.

The item ended up shipped Media Mail and arrive with a hole through the packaging. Naturally, I emailed the seller that the item was damaged and requested that I ship it back for the refund. The seller balked and said that I never asked for insurance, which I was never offered in the 1st place.

Long story short, I filled a Paypal dispute and lost as Paypal protection does not cover damaged item, only if the item never arrived. Needless to say, now I ask for and purchase insurance on all valuable items.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

When I buy an item, I don't mind paying for insurance.

It's my own peace of mind. I also ask the seller to apply all tracking.

If the seller fails to do either and ships, it gives them no where to go if something happens. You have the email record supporting your request.

Again, it's my own piece of mind. A lot of these items we are passing around through mail, UPS, etc. aren't exactly cheap or easy to find items.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast