Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I found this on another board, and just wanted to spread the word here.

Some might care, some not, but in any event it could be important to know. Check out this text, and accompanying instructions, that are making the rounds of the web right now. I've made the appropriate changes myself already:

Starting on August 31st, eBay is going to institute a new policy where photos you upload to any listing are put into a "catalog" of online images that any eBay user can then use for their own listings. The default setting for this is opt-in, which is a problem if you, like me, consider your photographs your property and want to control how they are used and by whom. A copyright notice is posted with a link to your user profile, but no additional information is given, and the link is quite small.
    Since the default setting is opt-in, and eBay has not sent messages out about this, a lot of people are going to be caught flat-footed by this new policy.

Again, the default for this setting is YES, you have opted in. Meaning "Yes, I will allow eBay to make my photos available for anyone to use."

If you do not want eBay to make the photos you upload to all of your future auctions available to other users in a sort of catalog process, you need to go change your settings now, before August 31st. If you opt out after then, any photos you upload between the 31st and when you opt out will still be eligible for inclusion in their "catalog."

In order to opt out of this so-not-okay process, do the following. I've broken it down exhaustively. Hopefully your eBay pages look like mine.

1) Go to your eBay summary page ("My eBay").

2) On the left-hand side, there are three tabs that say "Activity," "Messages," and "Account." Hover over the "Account" tab.

3) A drop-down list will appear. Move your mouse down to "Site Preferences" and click.

4) You will be taken to a page with a list of site options for selling, shipping, and listing. About the sixth from the top is "Share your Photos." Click on the word "show" on the right hand side next to this option.

5) The box will expand, and if you are opted in, "yes" will appear. If you are opted out, "no" will appear. A small "edit" link will appear below the "show" link. If you want to change the settings, click "edit."

6) You will be taken to a new page with the following text: If you'd like to opt-out of this program, please do so by checking this box and clicking the "submit" button below.
    (If you opt-out before August 31, 2009, none of your photos will be considered for inclusion in this program unless you opt back in at a later time. If you opt-out after August 31, 2009, any photos we select for inclusion in this program prior to your opt-out may continue to be used in the catalog)

7) If you want to opt out of the program, check the ticky box on the left-hand side next to the text, then go down and click the "submit" button.

8) You will go back to the settings screen you were just on, and there will be a green checkmark and a confirmation message. Go down to the "Share your Photos" option again and click "show." Your setting should now appear as "no."

I am sure that this will be a useful feature for some people, for some items, but the automatic opt-in is not okay with me at all, as I don't want my photographs used to illustrate someone else's auction for a different item, not for any reason whatsoever.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Great information! Thanks for posting!

John

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

FYI: This only applies to ebay in the USA. The UK has different laws, and this would not be allowed.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Hmmm I dont have that option on US or Canada site...

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    FYI: This only applies to ebay in the USA. The UK has different laws, and this would not be allowed.
    Presumably the same for Canada - at least I hope so as there was no such option listed for my account.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

I guess that's why those sellers were using signed "Stand" pictures for their unsigned book club....I can see where this is going.....item not as described...ask seller a question/get more vague answers......item not as described...paypal claim....item not as described....seller says he used "stock photo" by mistake.....buyer must eat return shipping cost.....they gotta be insane to allow this in collectibles of any kind....

Gunslinger Apprentice Rusher is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaniscoming View Post
    I guess that's why those sellers were using signed "Stand" pictures for their unsigned book club....I can see where this is going.....item not as described...ask seller a question/get more vague answers......item not as described...paypal claim....item not as described....seller says he used "stock photo" by mistake.....buyer must eat return shipping cost.....they gotta be insane to allow this in collectibles of any kind....

I totally agree with you, at least now we know, and fortunately it will say if the photo was taken from someone else, thats something at least. I went into my account and found it, and I changed it.

I wonder who comes up with these stupid ideas...as if the stock photos weren't bad enough

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

FYI, I merged the last 7 posts from another thread. I also merged the Ebay feedback, and Cash back threads.
    The hope is that this will be the thread to discuss all issues concerning Ebay

The Ebay BS thread is still available to discuss questionable items, sellers, etc.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jerome. I'd forgotten all about this thread.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've yet to use eBay in a selling capacity, but as a buyer, it's good to be alerted that I should pay attention to 'stock photos' going forward.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Ebay is run by idiots I think. Bring back the days of Meg Whitman.

Here is one of their latest policy changes:

Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Of course you can choose to purchase insurance on shipments, but not ask buyers to buy insurance separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewelry, shipping insurance for sellers is essential. When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.

----------------------------------------------------------

First off, ebay is NOT an ecommerce site. You do not buy anything FROM ebay. Ebay acts as a FACILITATOR between buyers and sellers....nothing more.

As a seller, I always gave the OPTION to buy insurance. Now, to protect myself, I am going to have to charge EVERYONE for insurance.

Likewise, as a buyer I liked having the option to insure my items or not. Now, like I mentioned above, most sellers are going to work the cost of insurance into their shipping prices whether I want it or not. In most cases, I do not insure my purchases...now I am going to be paying for somehing I do not want.

Damn it this really pisses me off.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The decision-making over at eBay is so weird sometimes.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Weird is being nice. I prefer stupid.

Here is another problem with that policy.....

The only way you can include the insurance in the shipping fee is if you use the FLAT COST option (instead of CALCULATED COST), but with books, when using the FLAT COST option, you have to offer at least one shipping charge that is $4 or less (another brilliant policy that ebay recently established).

So, how can I include the insurance cost if I can only charge $4 for shipping?

Those geniuses over at ebay do not know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I would like some of the other members here who sell books on ebay (shibus and Hutch for instance) to weigh in with their thoughts.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

As you know, I don't sell anything on eBay, but the whole thing they've done with shipping and insurance is ridiculous.

Coincidentally we'll be with friends later tonight, two of whom work for eBay (on the tech side). I'm going to ask them what the hell they are thinking over there. But in a nice way, of course.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick, give them hell!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I think if you use the 'auction' listing, you can charge different shipping rates, right?

It's buy-it-now, where it only lets you charge $4.

I think, anyway...not really sure.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope.

If you are selling a book on auction with flat cost shipping, you have to offer a $4 or less shipping charge.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I say put it in your listing that you have the $4 option but will not ship without the buyer paying additional for the required insurance. I got hit by some that sort of addendum by a seller that I missed when I made the purchase. His was to cover his cost on shipping materials (and had I known about that extra charge I wouldn't have bid as high as I did but that's another discussion), but the charge WAS in the very fine print on the listing.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, but you were annoyed by the small print...so that's the problem with selling that way...

It does suck, especially if like Tippy said you can't do anything other than the $4 option....

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I was saying was don't put it in the fine print. Tell them in the open what you're doing.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi guys. My friends who work at eBay (who work on the tech side, and not involved in these customer policy decisions) said that the bottom line is that eBay is trying to make things simple for the buyers.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rusher is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I can understand making things simple for the buyers. Ebay is a pretty simple site to use, whether buying or selling. It was simple before when they were given the option to buy insurance or delivery confirmation or whatever, and the shipping charges were also in plain site. They either agreed to the amount and bought the item or they didn't. Simple as that.

It seems a little odd that they would try to make things more "simple" for the buyers when its the sellers that they are making all their money from. There should be a better balance there. When someone buys something...ebay doesn't make any money from the buyer..they make it all from the seller. The seller is the one who has the listing fees, the final value fees, and then the paypal fees for accepting the buyers money.

Ebay is always going to have plenty of buyers...but they are increasingly pissing off the sellers with these stupid rules and regulations. There are other sites out there that up and coming but just don't have the buyer traffic that ebay has yet, so in order to reach the widest audience, us sellers still have to rely on ebay but compared to other sites...the fees and rules are just getting way way out of hand.

They could easily make a simple dashboard on the top of the listing with the amount, the shipping amount and any other optional thing the buyer may or may not want. They should be a little more concerned about alienating sellers but unfortunately they are making millions an hour so they probably don't really care too much either way unless another site can really start to overtake their revenues.

They just want big bulk sellers who are more of a real business...they don't care about actual auction sales anymore, or small one or two item sellers.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I always wondered why buyers were responsible for insurance, since even if they pay, it is the shipper who has to deal with the USPS, or whatever carrier was used in the event of loss or damage. It was just an extra fee to the benefit of the seller.
    Correct me if wrong, but I don't think e-bay made money off whatever was charged for insurance.
    $500 insurance from the USPS is $6.70. A seller now eats that 1.34%

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Correct me if wrong, but I don't think e-bay makes money off whatever is charged for insurance.
    You are correct Jerome....sort of.

While EBAY does not make any money off of shipping and insurance fees.....PAYPAL does.

And since PAYPAL is owned by EBAY.....in the end they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusher View Post
    It seems a little odd that they would try to make things more "simple" for the buyers when its the sellers that they are making all their money from. There should be a better balance there. When someone buys something...ebay doesn't make any money from the buyer..they make it all from the seller. The seller is the one who has the listing fees, the final value fees, and then the paypal fees for accepting the buyers money.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I say put it in your listing that you have the $4 option but will not ship without the buyer paying additional for the required insurance.
    While I generally dislike auctions that are overly-wordy, I think for now that is my best option. I just modified an auction that I have scheduled to start tomorrow with the following.....

I am not responsible for packages that are lost or damaged by the Post Office unless you purchase insurance. Ebay no longer offers the option of insurance (brilliant huh?). Ebay also forces book sellers to offer one shipping option that is $4 or less. So, if you are the winner of this auction, and want your book insured, DO NOT SELECT THE MEDIA MAIL OPTION. Insurance is included in the Parcel Post and Priority Mail options.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast