Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

The insurance company that Bob, Stu Tinker (Bett's) and I use covers all books that you have bought and sold while still in transit, also when you are transporting your book(s) to a convention, display etc. So, I don't "buy" extra insurance in my transactions.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Glad it worked out for you.

( what I had meant, that it was up the the buyer to request insurance )
    I just wanted to comment on the insurance topic, not attack your statement. I just think eBay is screwy when it expect the buyer to pay for the insurence.
    Oh, I understand, no worries.

I agree 1000% on ebay!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you mean but I've been charging on all Ebay items I sell about $2.00 for insurance and make it mandatory, thus helping the buyer and seller out a bit. Many times it is over $2 but that's ok at least it is insured for the value. I've not had a complaint since I started doing that about 2 years ago. On a nice item, it's pretty inexpensive.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    The seller balked and said that I never asked for insurance, which I was never offered in the 1st place.

Long story short, I filled a Paypal dispute and lost as Paypal protection does not cover damaged item, only if the item never arrived. Needless to say, now I ask for and purchase insurance on all valuable items.
    That would obviously annoy me a lot, as I'm sure it did you!

Not that this helps this time, but you should always do the dispute through your credit card company, and you claim the seller sent you an unusable item...you will 100 percent win...anything bought on a credit card can be returned and refunded through the dispute process.

You should mention the seller too...that's a pisspoor business practice and I would not want to buy from them.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Doesn't look like ebay has any cashback at the moment, but they seem to offer it every few weeks.
    What is the best way to know when these cash-back offers occur?

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Be careful with this cashback program!!! I purchased a camera lens with a winning bid around $700 earlier this year that qualified for 15% cashback.....or so I thought. After 4 months and 15 emails through the Live.com help desk and a few to ebay, they finally told me, "sorry, your purchase does not qualify".....buncha bullshit if you ask me. I'm sure that it does work for some though.....

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Was it a bidding auction or fixed price? You said winning bid, so I'm assuming it wasn't Buy It Now. That's why it didn't qualify.
    Cashback only works if you use the Buy It Now option and then pay through Paypal.

Randall, I just do a search on the live site every so often to see if it comes up. Usually if it's running I'll also see it mentioned on some other non-book forums that I frequent.
    Mark Twain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have absolutely no idea what I did right, but this week I received this notice in my PayPal acccount:

Cash Back

Transfer to: PayPal
    ------
    Total Amount: $14.40 USD
    Fee: $0.00 USD
    Total: $14.40 USD
    ------
    Date: Jan. 12, 2009
    Time: 22:53:47 PST

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Was it a bidding auction or fixed price? You said winning bid, so I'm assuming it wasn't Buy It Now. That's why it didn't qualify.
    Cashback only works if you use the Buy It Now option and then pay through Paypal.
    You had me thinking there....I went back and checked the auction, it was a buy it now....even more mad Oh well, I still got a nice camera lens.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have an eBay Mastercard, and recently got $50 in free eBay stuff. I purchased the entire Lemony Snickets series for $30 after the rebate.

SWEET!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice move Dags!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    OK, I need to vent.

Recently, ebay has created a couple of policies that are really pissing me off.

A couple months ago, ebay made a rule that as a book seller, if I charge a flat rate for shipping in the U.S., I have to offer a shipping option that costs $4 or less. I know media mail is usually pretty cheap, but postage is only part of the shipping cost. I buy tape and boxes and that adds to my cost. It should be my perogative to charge whatever I want as long as I list the cost in my auction, and the buyer can decide if my price is reasonable by either bidding or not.

Now, I just found out that come January 15th, when I sell books on ebay, the only payment methods I can accept are PayPal, Credit/Debit Card, or ProPay. I am no longer allowed to accept checks or money orders. WTF is that!? Again, as a seller I should be able to take whatever payment methods I want. True, 98% of the people who make purchases from me use Paypal, but every now and then someone will mail me a money order. A couple weeks ago someone mailed me cash. Gee, I wonder if the fact that ebay owns Paypal has anything to do with their new rule?

Ebay is getting out of control. They are the only game in town, so I guess they figure they can do what they want.

OK, I am getting off of my soapbox.

Please discuss.
    This was a really stupid thing we were all hit by....I'm Canadian but I list on the US site so it hit me even harder cause we dont have any cheap media mail. I box my items and only ship expedited w/ tracking which costs me $14.

I got around this by simply saying in black and white in my listings:
    "Shipping is boxed, expedited, with tracking for $12.70 to all of North America despite that Ebay thinks I can ship this item for $4. - IMPOSSIBLE.
    Please don't ask for cheap bubble mailer shipping on pristine first editions. If the cost of quality shipping does not suit you, please do not buy our items."

People looking for quality stuff dont seem to mind paying for quality shipping.
    These are the customers we want anyway.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Or you could just give a four dollar option NOONE would want:

$4.00 shipping option-We affix the stamps and write the addresses directly onto the dustjacket and then violently throw your book in a post office drop box.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, I've bought from that guy !

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Oh, I've bought from that guy !
    Is someone already using my idea...like for real?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I DID buy a book through ebay once that came to my house wrapped in a couple of sheets of notebook paper with the addresses and a stamp on it, so the answer is yeah. Someone has pretty much already done that.

Thankfully, the book was to be read and wasn't a collectible. I blasted his ass on the feedback though.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I got one once wrapped in wrapping paper turned inside out.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Gay

I think we should add a tag to eBay...

How's this : eBay... It Bring Out The Best In People!

( that was sarcasm folks )

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, I got one once wrapped in wrapping paper turned inside out.
    This is a picture of the wrappings on a book I received. I did not open the wrapping-it looked just like this upon arrival. Needless to say the book was damaged.
    FYI, the wrapping was a grocery bag.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope the book wasn't too valuable.

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

You can just not charge for shipping and save the stress and aggravation...add the cost to your starting bid...I've been doing it for years on any item of serious value. I love it. One price, no questions about how I'll ship or anything.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah...but that is exactly what ebay wants us to do so they can take a bigger slice of the pie.

Ebay makes more money if I sell an item for $100 with free shipping vs. $96 plus $4 shipping.

Sure, it is only pennies...but ebay takes a big enough slice already with listing fees, final value fees, and Paypal fees.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

100 percent true...though I'm not sure ebay looked at it that way...I think they got tired of hearing people's complaints about overpriced shipping.

Still, I am on ebay's side...they make it very easy to have as big or small storefront as you want - without rent, insurance, employees, etc...so you gotta take the good with the bad!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    ....without rent, insurance, employees, etc...so you gotta take the good with the bad!

Agreed...but I still like to whine about it.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Cashback is active again. It's currently at 10%.
    Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast