Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Jesus. Then they get another, what, 3-4% from the PayPal transaction? Facebook Marketplace must be killing them.
    PayPal is 2.9% + .30¢ per transaction. So it totals ~15% now.

$100 sale - $12 for eBay - $3.20 for PayPal leaves $84.80 for the seller.

To make $100.12 I'd have to sell at $118.
    PayPal is that for US sellers.. NOT for the rest of us I am pretty much 15% now!
    That's for a US seller with a bank account attached to the PP account which is what I am.

Outside the US is different and using a credit card link to PP is different. Y'all'l have to do the math for your own situation.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Jesus. Then they get another, what, 3-4% from the PayPal transaction? Facebook Marketplace must be killing them.
    PayPal is 2.9% + .30¢ per transaction. So it totals ~15% now.

$100 sale - $12 for eBay - $3.20 for PayPal leaves $84.80 for the seller.

To make $100.12 I'd have to sell at $118.
    PayPal is that for US sellers.. NOT for the rest of us I am pretty much 15% now!
    Greedy bastards! That sucks, Kris. Had no idea they charge more for non-US sellers. Luckily we don’t really need eBay. I’m just going to stick to selling here and on Facebook. Still 2.9% + .30¢ but that’s worth it for the convenience imo.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Gunslinger Apprentice playdohman has a spectacular aura about playdohman has a spectacular aura about playdohman has a spectacular aura about playdohman's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

eBay coupon today. 15% Coupon until 10 pm PT to save on everything. Use code PRONTO15.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, I am an ebay member since 2005, with a 100% rating :
    https://feedback.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAP...rld=true&rt=nc

Last week, I did put 3 boxes of "wax music cylinder for sale", which was found at my moms garage : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/273398333086...84.m1561.l2649
    The auction was for a hand delivery.

Someone living a few hours away was interested but wanted me to send them. We talked a bit on the phone and a few text messages. I sent them.
    While discussing on the phone, I made clear that I dont know what they are supposed to look like etc
    He has recieved them, but now complains that they werent stored properly, took some humidy and are useless.

For me, my auction do shows a few wax tubes (maybe not many), allowing him to judge.
    He paid via paypal, item (60€) + shipping (50€), at the time, he asked me about the shipping charge (on my phone) cause were a bit pricey. I was honnest and said that I needed to pack them and charged a bit extra because the original plan was to be hand delivered.

So, I am guessing that he will log a dispute with Paypal because the items are, according to him, not in the state of the description. Which I am going to dispute back mentionning the pictures but then it shows maybe 3-4 tubes out of roughly 80 or more

What can happen from that point of view?
    I am guessing that Paypal may give him his money back... maybe... but will I lose that money?
    Will Paypal's insurance reimburse him without impacting me either?

I dont have any money on my account just now, but my visa is linked to Paypal.
    This is the first time that I have a dispute, and therefore I am intrigued of what can happen.

Oh and the buyer has the same ratings : about 300, at 100%, and registered on ebay since 2003
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

Last week, I did put 3 boxes of "wax music cylinder for sale", which was found at my moms garage : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/273398333086...84.m1561.l2649

Someone living a few hours away was interested but wanted me to send them. We talked a bit on the phone and a few text messages. I sent them.
    While discussing on the phone, I made clear that I dont know what they are supposed to look like etc
    He has recieved them, but now complains that they werent stored properly, took some humidy and are useless.

For me, my auction do shows a few wax tubes (maybe not many), allowing him to judge.
    He paid via paypal, item (60€) + shipping (50€), at the time, he asked me about the shipping charge (on my phone) cause were a bit pricey. I was honnest and said that I needed to pack them and charged a bit extra because the original plan was to be hand delivered.

So, I am guessing that he will log a dispute with Paypal because the items are, according to him, not in the state of the description. Which I am going to dispute back mentionning the pictures but then it shows maybe 3-4 tubes out of roughly 80 or more

I am guessing that Paypal may give him his money back... maybe... but will I lose that money?

This is the first time that I have a dispute, and therefore I am intrigued of what can happen.

Oh and the buyer has the same ratings : about 300, at 100%, and registered on ebay since 2003
    Why not just save a potentially bad rating and refund his money? He isnt happy.... the choice to me is clear no?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Your pictures are fairly good, as a cylinder and phonograph your pictures show where there could have been humidity issues, when buying lot’s like your’s is the chance you take. At over 100 years old what would one expect unless you mentioned that the were in great condition.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why not just save a potentially bad rating and refund his money? He isnt happy.... the choice to me is clear no?
    Why should I ?
    I consider that my description and pictures were helping the customer, which could have asked for more details and more pictures shall he wanted to.

I dont think that 1 negative note will very badly impact by ratings...
    In the very worst case, he paid : 60e for the items + 50 shipping, and ebay/paypal charge/will charge me about 15e.
    SO in the very worst, I could reimburse 45€, but I dont think that he will be happy with, and I dont think that technically I was wrong
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why should I ?
    I consider that my description and pictures were helping the customer, which could have asked for more details and more pictures shall he wanted to.

In the very worst case, he paid : 60e for the items + 50 shipping, and ebay/paypal charge/will charge me about 15e.
    SO in the very worst, I could reimburse 45€, but I dont think that he will be happy with, and I dont think that technically I was wrong
    All I can say my man is when selling a book... IF FOR ANY reason they want to return it.. I do. It is just good customer service. That is why.... There is something wrong with the product you sold WHETHER you knew it or not... so why be like that and not allow the return? Is there a reason you won't? That is all I am saying man. I just think it would be good karma to do the right thing is all. All I am saying brother
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

One negative feedback out of a lot of positives wouldn’t stop me from buying something. If nothing was wrong with the product, I wouldn’t refund a dime. Some people just want things for free. What does his buyer feedback look like?

Country
    Country Flag

One negative feedback out of a lot of positives wouldn’t stop me from buying something. If nothing was wrong with the product, I wouldn’t refund a dime. Some people just want things for free. What does his buyer feedback look like?
    I totally agree... but Jeremy even states he isn't familiar with them. Maybe there were bad? And what would this guy have to gain from wanting to return them? He wanted them in the first place right? Just playing Devils Advocate here is all I should say. haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Chatty

Default eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

I totally agree... but Jeremy even states he isn't familiar with them. Maybe there were bad? And what would this guy have to gain from wanting to return them? He wanted them in the first place right? Just playing Devils Advocate here is all I should say. haha
    Oh yeah if something was wrong with it then definitely I’d refund. And I agree the buyer could be genuinely upset and just wants a refund. My comment was more of a general one. Those “want everything for free” types drive me up a wall and I barely ever sell anything!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Jeremy!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Why argue? Just give a refund (as long as product is returned in condition you sent it out). If they dispute, they will win, and in most cases nowadays, the seller even pays return shipping.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All eBay communication is supposed to go through ebay. If you had communicated that way then everything would be recorded. eBay has no idea what you said on the phone.

You did say in the description that some were damaged. You show six individual cylinders and 24 in a box. All of them look damaged or severely worn to me. I'm not sure how much of a case he has because they're damaged since you stated that in the description and showed it in photographs.

Has he left you feedback yet? If not then you have to play nice.

You could do as Kris suggests and refund his money. Of course he would have to return them to get his 60€. (Shipping not being refundable since it was indeed shipped.) That will cost him the return shipping, which if he spends 50€ to return them he nets 10€ refund.

I'd probably start by offering him a partial refund, say 30€, and he can keep them. He doesn't have to pay return shipping that way. You're out 30€, but you are also up 30€. He saves 30€ and now owns some novelty antique wax cylinders and boxes for a very reasonable price.

If he opens a case, and wins, he'll have to return the items at his own expense for a refund of the purchase price of 60€.

PayPal will place a hold on the value of the purchase. I'm not sure if that will include the shipping charge, but I'm guessing it will until the dispute is resolved. They won't charge your card. They will hold any money deposited in your PayPal account up to their hold amount until the dispute is resolved.

Country
    Country Flag

Why should I ?

If he gives you negative feedback, you can post an explanation.

They charge final value fees. If you issue a refund they will only charge you fees on the shipping portion.

Country
    Country Flag

Contacting each other outside of ebay : wouldnt it be interesting to know that he was the one suggesting, via ebay messenger, to contact him by phone to talk more about the transaction?

Otherwise, there are obviously no proofs of what was said on the phone. I have the (few) text messages which I can do a screenshot of, although I guess that it could be argued it's photoshopped.
    One of those text messages is interesting I believe because I mention that there are :3 empty boxes, 1 broken cylinder, but 76 unbroken one. Mostly white, but I noticed about ten "brown" ones and 4-5 black ones".

He replied "ok"

Otherwise, it seems that most people here would go with a refund. Of which I could only do a partial one, hence the ebay/paypal fees & shipping that couldnt be reimbursed.

I personally dont care about the item. It was actually going to be binned within a few more days shall it not send.
    My issue with a refund is merely based on principles : I tried to be as truthful as possible, I didnt arrange the truth, and he could have asked for more pictures, and I would have been happy to send them to him.
    My gut feeling has always been that he was taking a bet. Maybe he was getting a good deal, maybe it wasn't, and no he wants to get his money back because it was a lost bet.

So I am not sure yet what I will do. Maybe i'll tell him to open a dispute with paypal if he wants to, or maybe i'll offer a partial refund of 30€, which I doubt that he will accept.

Then another question crosses my mind : I personally dont care about the item. If I recieve them, I'll just get rid of them.
    So, knowing that the auction was saying "hand delivery" and refusing return, should I therefore ask him to send them back to me (at his expense), or tell him to do whatever he wants.
    I may ask him to return them because we both disagree, so why should I make his life easier?

Country
    Country Flag

Contacting each other outside of ebay : wouldnt it be interesting to know that he was the one suggesting, via ebay messenger, to contact him by phone to talk more about the transaction?

Otherwise, there are obviously no proofs of what was said on the phone. I have the (few) text messages which I can do a screenshot of, although I guess that it could be argued it's photoshopped.
    One of those text messages is interesting I believe because I mention that there are :3 empty boxes, 1 broken cylinder, but 76 unbroken one. Mostly white, but I noticed about ten "brown" ones and 4-5 black ones".

He replied "ok"

Otherwise, it seems that most people here would go with a refund. Of which I could only do a partial one, hence the ebay/paypal fees & shipping that couldnt be reimbursed.

I personally dont care about the item. It was actually going to be binned within a few more days shall it not send.
    My issue with a refund is merely based on principles : I tried to be as truthful as possible, I didnt arrange the truth, and he could have asked for more pictures, and I would have been happy to send them to him.
    My gut feeling has always been that he was taking a bet. Maybe he was getting a good deal, maybe it wasn't, and no he wants to get his money back because it was a lost bet.

So I am not sure yet what I will do. Maybe i'll tell him to open a dispute with paypal if he wants to, or maybe i'll offer a partial refund of 30€, which I doubt that he will accept.

Then another question crosses my mind : I personally dont care about the item. If I recieve them, I'll just get rid of them.
    So, knowing that the auction was saying "hand delivery" and refusing return, should I therefore ask him to send them back to me (at his expense), or tell him to do whatever he wants.
    I may ask him to return them because we both disagree, so why should I make his life easier?
    If he bought the item and hoped it was ok.. and was not.. how did he lose a bet? He hoped to get a product that worked. It does not. And IF YOU don't care.... just refund it. Case closed. Your a good guy ( We all know this brother) so I guess I cannot understand why the internal dilemma. To me, this is easy, send it back and I will refund you. I do wish you luck in whatever you decide my man
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Kris is (IMO) correct. Don't get emotional over a small transaction. Just give a refund upon return, trash the item, and move on. I know you are venting a bit, but your time is worth more than spending it writing about, and disputing the issue.

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeremy I understand why Jerome and Kris are suggesting to just give the refund and not stress too much about one sale. The brown cylinders are the rarest they were made from about 1880-1907, they sell for more than $50-$100 each. Just like a fine book condition is everything, the inside part that sit’s on the mandrel is plaster water is not it’s friend at all!

Country
    Country Flag

I did some quick research online before putting them for sell, and did notice that they were quite a few for sale on ebay at 5€ or so. Hence i decided to put the entire lot on ebay, cheaply, and not bother too much.
    Anyway, he suggested that I refund him 40€ and keeps them. I accepted, and sent him the money, and the case should now be sorted.

----

Just to try to understand better what happens in case of dispute : Paypal freeze your credits on your account until the matter is resolved?
    Meaning that one cannot use Paypal until it's sorted?

Country
    Country Flag

Just to try to understand better what happens in case of dispute : Paypal freeze your credits on your account until the matter is resolved?
    Meaning that one cannot use Paypal until it's sorted?
    You can still use it. You could purchase something with PayPal and they would charge your card as normal. If you deposit cash into PayPal they will hold an amount equal to the dispute. So if you sold something by accepting PayPal that money - up to the disputed amount - wouldn't be available to you.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems like ebay is moving to a new shipping label page layout....one in which you cannot buy insurance for Media Mail.

There is a link to the "classic label page" for now.......where you can insure Media Mail.....but for how long?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Seems like ebay is moving to a new shipping label page layout....one in which you cannot buy insurance for Media Mail.

There is a link to the "classic label page" for now.......where you can insure Media Mail.....but for how long?
    Try grabbing the URL of the old one and seeing if you can figure out the pattern for it. Most web developers leave old pages live for quite some time if not indefinitely. They just change the links to the new one. You can also buy your shipping outside of eBay with paypal.com/shipnow and then just add the tracking information into eBay afterwards.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

Try grabbing the URL of the old one and seeing if you can figure out the pattern for it. Most web developers leave old pages live for quite some time if not indefinitely. They just change the links to the new one. You can also buy your shipping outside of eBay with paypal.com/shipnow and then just add the tracking information into eBay afterwards.
    If the customer paid with PP then then shipnow will populate the label with customer info and automatically provide eBay with tracking.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Was shipping an item today and noticed the insurance and signature options were now available with media mail on the new postage page.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Not sure if everyone knows, but Ebay fees is now 12%. Sucks.
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast