Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

I read today in the San Francisco Chronicle that E-bay is changing its feedback policy-much the the chagrin of some sellers:
    EBay also said that the new feedback policy, which no longer allows sellers to offer feedback on their customers, was in the interest of buyers. But sellers worry that it gives buyers too much power, for instance, to retaliate or scam them.
    I always (of course I primarily buy, not sell), hated the murual feedback policy.
    Why should I, after spending money at Sears, have to tell them they were great, before they tell me they appreciate my business.

Link to full article

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never sold on eBay, but I've bought my fair share. I think it's great the sellers can't leave feedback - you won't get anymore of that retaliatory crap from bad sellers who give you bad feedback because you've (deservedly) given it to them.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I've never sold on eBay, but I've bought my fair share. I think it's great the sellers can't leave feedback - you won't get anymore of that retaliatory crap from bad sellers who give you bad feedback because you've (deservedly) given it to them.
    I totally agree with that. From the part of the seller, all they should leave feedback on you for is if you paid them quickly. Once you've paid them, they SHOULD be able to leave feedback, right? Then why do so many of them hold it over you until after you've left feedback on them?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Because they want BS happy feedback.

They hold your feedback in ransom until you give them good feedback, then they'll leave it for you.

Really, how many buyers suck on eBay, compared to sellers? I'm curious.

It's the sellers you have to watch out for, IMHO. And the fact that they can screw with your buying feedback just because they are jerks is unfair.

I'd like to think the majority of buyers will be honest with their opinions. Bad sellers will leave a trail of bad feedback wherever they go, to try and cover themselves. I really think this whole "ban" is perpetrated by marginal sellers who have marginal feedback. Good sellers have no problems.

Just MHO.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

one time i bought an owner's manual for one of my vehicles, that someone had scanned and put on cdrom. When i tried it on my computer, it didn't work, because it required adobe 7.0 at that time xp wasn't released yet and I still had my 98. when i told him it didn't work on mine, and if he could email me a v6 version, he got all shitty on me and said it wasn't his problem. So i left him bad feedback, and he turned around and left me bad feedback, saying I didn't read the listing right, and that he had explained it to me.

After a few days, he comes back, apologizes, and offers to send me a new cdrom with my version of adobe at no extra charge, if I withdrew my feedback. So we mutually withdrew feedback, and he never sent it.

Isn't this some kind of asshole?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Some kind? THE kind.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm conflicted here, as I've done an equal amount of buying and selling. Generally if you do your research when buying you won't get screwed, but when you do it is a bummer that you can't leave negative without getting it yourself. However, that said, as a seller, I have experienced A LOT of useless buyers. The type that argue with you that the shipping costs stated in the listing are too high (I get this a lot, as Americans aren't used to Canada Post shipping rates), take a month to pay, and then demand a refund because they didn't read the description in the listing.

This change WILL help buyers over all, but it will hurt GOOD sellers, which in the end is where eBay makes their commission. I think if they were willing to invest more time and money into the eBay community itself, they would crack down on the crappy sellers AND the crappy buyers - creating the perfect e-capitalists utopia!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I know there is an uproar in the e-bay selling community, but I think this change is a done deal. Slowly over time sellers will get used to it, and truely good sellers will consistently have good feedback. I know there are scammers who buy, but overall there were probably as many if not more crappy sellers as there were buyers, so things will shake out in the interest of the consumer-which is where it should be.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that I absolutely hate it when I purchase something, pay immediately without hesitation and then have to wait until I actually get my item in the mail, leave feedback and then wait even longer to see him say that I was a great buyer and paid immediately. What a f*cking joke.

Wow, that was a long sentence but a good rant.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

When I first started buying on Ebay, sellers would leave feedback as soon as they were paid regardless of weather the buyer had done it yet at all.

I liked those times. When I sold, I always did the same
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

You'll notice, if you check out my feedback (Calla_Wolf) that I've just gained a retaliatory neg feedback - bought an "Olympus" battery from the US and it didn't work. Tried to communicate with the seller so filed a Paypal case - was STUNNED when I got my money back. As for the neg feedback - really couldn't care less.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad to hear you got your money back Ceri.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

As I am an ebay buyer AND seller, I can offer the following perspectives.

I know that it irritates some of you when a seller waits for the buyer to leave feedback, before he will leave it for them, but I have to admit, I will do the same if I do not know the buyer. It is the only leverage I have against the following....

There are some wacky buyers out there who will leave you negative feedback for really stupid reasons. I saw a seller who had received negative feedback because he used the free Priority Mail packaging as internal padding for his Parcel Post shipment. I mean come on! Is that any reason to negatively affect a sellers reputation?!?!

The second reason I will wait is because there are some buyers out there who will leave negative feedback without even letting the seller know they are unsatisfied with their purchase. You can't please all the people all the time, and there might be someone out there who feels you did not accurately describe your item, or feels that you charged too much to ship it. Whatever the case may be, you should always give the buyer a chance to fix things BEFORE you leave negative feedback.

Now as a buyer, I run into problems all the time (most are bad packaging related), but am unable to leave negative feedback in fear of retaliation. I have 100% positive feedback as a seller, and the only negative feedback I have is from a seller who got mad at me for leaving negative feedback for them.

So, as a BUYER, I am glad they are changing their policy. I can finally leave the negatives I need to (first giving the seller a chance to make things right) without fear.

As a SELLER, well, I don't see this affecting me....time will tell.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That's why I usually go in and read a few of the negatives when I'm thinking of buying from a seller I have never dealt with. If it's constantly stupid stuff that's not worth complaining about, I don't hold it against the seller.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here, I also look at the ratio. If you have 1000 satisfied customers and two of them said you were an asshole...I figure it was them.

My Mood
    Breezy

yeah, that's what I do too. If they did get a negative, you can tell by reading it and the reply whose fault it was, most of the time.

I agree there are some stupid buyers out there, but on the whole I think the buyers are more honest than the sellers.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear what you guys are saying. If some a-hole gave me an unjustified negative, it would probably not hurt my reputation.

But, I am protective of my feedback as I have worked hard and long to get it to the level it is at.

Now, If I can just get another 1000 positive feedbacks without getting a negative, my score will go from 99.9% positive to 100% positive

My Mood
    Breezy

whoa, i don't buy that much.

but I do take care of mine, and it's still at 100%

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

All of this will shake out when the policy is implemented. most potential bidders/buyers-if interested in the item will check the feedback comments to weed out the dirtbag comments.
    This really is a well needed change, driven by the fact that Amazon connects buyers with sellers, collects a fee, but only the buyers provide feedback about the transaction.
    Thanks to Amazon (in this instace only) for driving the business where it nedds to (IMO) be.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I may be done with Ebay/Paypal, I am so tired of the crap with both, tonight I get home from work to find out I have won (and paid for by paypal) around 6,000.00 worth of computer equipment auctions. Which is interesting since the winners Ebay ID is not mine and the accounts are linked together so I don't even understand how the winner paid with my account. With all the shaky stuff (including trying to pay with my bank account which has been closed for 1 1/2 years) there should have been red flags all over the place. I am really looking forword to spending tons of time on the phone trying to fix this mess

My Mood
    Breezy

damn oy, that sounds shitty.

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    I think I may be done with Ebay/Paypal, I am so tired of the crap with both, tonight I get home from work to find out I have won (and paid for by paypal) around 6,000.00 worth of computer equipment auctions. Which is interesting since the winners Ebay ID is not mine and the accounts are linked together so I don't even understand how the winner paid with my account. With all the shaky stuff (including trying to pay with my bank account which has been closed for 1 1/2 years) there should have been red flags all over the place. I am really looking forword to spending tons of time on the phone trying to fix this mess
    TRULY SHOCKING

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I am on hold right now with Paypal who has thus far been about as helpful as a rock, plus I have had to close my credit card account

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh man, that last one is a huge pain in the ass for sure.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Damn, Oy, that is awful...my account got hacked once, but ebay was right on it to fix the issue....

As for the new policy, I buy and sell, though very rarely of late...I think the new policy is pretty lame, but honestly I never cared about retaliatory feedback or what...ironically, my one negative feedback is from a bad seller, who listed obviously fake items who i then didn't pay.

For the most part, when I sell items, I immediately leave feedback and when I buy I leave feedback. For non-payers, I always gave them a couple weeks and then left bad feedback.

The problem is people were consumed by a perfect feedback rating, when really who cares? If you have a few bad feedbacks, it should be obvious to sellers or buyers that it was just a bad experience, not neccesarily an actual reputation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast