Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Remarkable Remarques! Sketches and Doodles too.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool "throwaway" sketch, Bob.

Love that drawing, Ralph. Good story too!

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone up for a road trip to the Whelan's trash cans??

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PlayPhish View Post
    The Roland sketch is on the back of an 8 1/2" x 11" page from the LSOE manuscript. Michael was just 'sharpening his pencil' and casting these to the floor. I kept picking them up and handing them to David.
    And I say thankee sai big big!!

Will post my pics shortly. Bob, it was great to spend time with you...REALLY!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Too bad that "throwaway" did not land in my book.

Sound like you guys had a great time.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, these were "cast offs" destined for recycling until Bob rescued them. Here are my two.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice David! I especially love the first one. Michael's talent never ceases to amaze me.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are wonderful. I agree with Eric, the first one is especially great.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Outstanding Wiz... I'll go trash pickin' with you anytime!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations!!

Wiz...details! the chronicle! Everything!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool drawings David, and I am sure the night was priceless, congrats

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Arrrggghhh. My tale of the night just got erased as I was typing on the laptop. It's late. I will tell my story tomorrow. Sorry people.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

We are looking forward to hear, David. Nice sketch, btw.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Really not a lot of stories to tell. It was a kick back, relax and take it all in kind of night for myself. It did go well into the wee hours of the night, as Michael and Audrey are night owls. I got home at close to 2:30am.

As you know, George Beahm was there to interview Michael for the upcoming art book to be published by Jerad at Centipede Press. George is writing the text and will be visiting the other artists as well. George and Michael go way back...I would guess at least 30 years. A lot of the evening consistent of bringing each other up to date on people they knew, discussing who was doing what etc. It gave me a chance to spend some "alone time" with Bob and Audrey which I enjoyed very much.

Later in the evening, Bob lugged in several boxes of AE editions of LSOE that Audrey had ordered. Two-thirds were for George and the rest for Michael & Audrey. There were no meaningful remarques in any of them, so Michael decided that he could remedy that situation. He got out some drawing materials and sat at the dining room table and sketched for awhile while we talked. It is pretty cool to see him work...it is just so natural for him and his talent is awe-inspiring. That is how Bob obtained some of his cast-off prelim/warming up sketches that we posted already in this thread. He also inscribed a book for Karen and for sleeplessdwarf that had been sent to me to take to the dinner that night. (I shipped them out to you both today).

One funny story I can relay that I guess is funny only to me, but here it is:

About 5-6 months ago, I put 2 partial DT S/L sets up on eBay. Earthsmilitant mind bought the IV-VII set, and the other set #487 of DT V-VII dis not sell. As soon as the auction ended, I got an e-mail from Steve Sargent in the UK (he is the guy that was selling all the remarqued Colorado Kid copies awhile back) asking if my V-VII set was still available. We made a deal for part cash and part trade (a set of remarqued Colorado Kid books). About 2 hours after I sealed that deal, I get an e-mail from George Beahm asking if the set was still available, but I had to tell him it was sold. So Saturday night, I was talking to Bob and Audrey, and she said that Michael just did a remarque for a guy named Steve Sargent in Wales. I said, I know that guy! Audrey said that there is something about Wales that brings out the "over-the-top" remarques in Michael, because he ended up doing a full page sketch. Bob went and retreived the book (a S/L DT VII) and it was my former book #487 which I sold to Steve and the one that George in the other room had wanted to buy. Talk about a small world! And the sketch? Well, Steve is going to be VERY pleased is all I can say. Oh yeah, I originally purchased those books from Tippy4!

So, that's about it. I had a great time (I always do).

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome story, David. Color me jealous.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, another piece of news. Michael said that for the DT VII remarques he photographed every one that he did (but he is not sharing the images that I don't have!). But for the LSOE sketches, he only photographed 5 (two I have posted, the other 3 I have never seen). He did confirm that he did 40-50 decent sized sketches in total plus the random ka and eye doodles.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great story. Very small world indeed, and thanks for dragging my book along for the ride. I am so glad I sent it to you instead of just straight to Michael. It would have missed out on some good chats I'm sure.

Country
    Country Flag

Great story David... you wanna send some of that "trash" my way?

Out of curiosity though, have the Whelan's settled on a price for remarques, or is it on a book by book basis? For that matter, does Michael take requests for remarques now, or is it still rare for him to do so? (In regards to the DTVII part of your recap of the night)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Thanks for sharing, David!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, David! Congratulations!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What a great evening, thanks for sharing the story, David.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Great story David... you wanna send some of that "trash" my way?

Out of curiosity though, have the Whelan's settled on a price for remarques, or is it on a book by book basis? For that matter, does Michael take requests for remarques now, or is it still rare for him to do so? (In regards to the DTVII part of your recap of the night)
    Eric, good question. My answer is based on mostly guesswork and discussions I've had with Audrey.

Michael does occasionally take requests for remarques. He is pretty well screened by Audrey who keeps their appointment book/schedule. Michael is always incredibly busy, but Audrey fits a request in once in awhile. As for pricing, I know it depends on the size that you want, detail, if you are a "good customer" (having bought from them before) etc. So, there is no set price.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    , I was talking to Bob and Audrey, and she said that Michael just did a remarque for a guy named Steve Sargent in Wales. I said, I know that guy! Audrey said that there is something about Wales that brings out the "over-the-top" remarques in Michael, because he ended up doing a full page sketch.

Oh how I wish I was from Wales! Seriously, I am thrilled that I have what I have coming to me. Some people just remind you how special folks can be. I am glad to say I see many of those here each day.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

David
    GREAT STORY!! You are extremely lucky.....

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Glenn Chadbourne sketch on the limitation page of the lettered edition of Bev Vincent's THE ROAD TO THE DARK TOWER. I didn't pay much attention to this when I got it but, at Eric's prompting, I got it out and think it is pretty cool. I don't know who it is, though. Flagg, maybe?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast