Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: I need advice/opinions.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default I need advice/opinions.

My friends and fellow King fans:

I need your opinions/advice in a situation. Please bear with me as this may be a bit long...ok...it IS long and it isn’t funny and has no particular reward at the end for you, Constant Reader.

To my friends NOT from the United States: I welcome and value your opinions/advice. I hope this dilemma doesn't seem petty to you as you may not fully understand our Thanksgiving Day traditions.

In my family and I assume most others, Thanksgiving Day is about having a big feast with family and friends. My family has always been raised to be polite since childhood. So here’s what went down at Thanksgiving this year:

Unbeknownst to myself or my son (Locke, ) all of my family had good reasons to be away at Thanksgiving. My son and I had no clue we would be the only guests for Thanksgiving dinner at my brother and his wife’s house. It just worked out that way. My brother text me and asked us to be there at 1PM (1300,) My son and I knocked on his door roughly five minutes early. We hear my brother call out “come in” so we let ourselves in (as usual.) When we got to the dinning area, my brother and his wife were in route to the kitchen to scrape their plates clean. They had already eaten. After exchanging the usual pleasantries with my brother and my brother with Locke (his wife doesn’t care for either myself or my son), my brother’s wife departed into a sitting room and began messing about on her phone. This house is a pretty open floor plan so most everything can be fairly easily seen and heard from room to room. His wife remained in that room the whole time only coming out occasionally to show my brother one thing or another she found interesting on Facebook. My brother immediately departed into the “TV room” and began watching American football ( a tradition in my family.) In the interim, Locke and I ate a VERT good dinner. His wife is an excellent cook!!

All of this is taking place in what is basically a very large room dived into a sitting room (where his wife was) a dining area and a good sized “TV room.”
    The “TV” room is large so my brother has a large flat screen (72 inches [183 cm.]) The day before, this big TV bit the dust. My brother temporarily replaced that TV with a 38 inch (97cm) flat screen. But due to the size of the room and the comparatively small TV, my brother pulled his recliner and ottoman up close to the TV. This left Locke and I to stare at the back of his balding head for the rest of the visit (yes, if we sat in the right place we could still see the game, but the game really wasn’t the point.)

At no point did my brother or his wife speak to my son or I in a cold, rude or insolent manner. (I’m not so sure his wife spoke to either of us.)
    The banter among my son, myself and my brother was engaging and pleasant as it always was...we were just forced to talk to his bald spot on the back of his head.
    The banter among my son, myself and my brother’s wife was non-existent despite our usual efforts. This was not unexpected.

TL;DR – My brother and his wife, at Thanksgiving dinner:
    1. Asked us to be at his house at 1PM (1300). for Thanksgiving dinner, when we arrived at 12:55, they were scraping their plates as they had already eaten. My son and I ate “alone.” But the open floor plan MAY have mitigated some of this effect.
    2. His wife quickly departed into another room and spent the whole visit on FB.
    3. My brother then moved his chair and ottoman close to the tv (small TV, large room) watching American football (a tradition) and we spent the visit with his back to us.

My questions to you, Constant Reader:

1. How insulted would you feel?

2. As there is potential for this to happen again at Christmas dinner, how would you react if it happens again?
    3. The option of not going for Christmas dinner is just very unpalatable to me as I dearly love the company of my brother.
    4. Most importantly, do you think my brother and his wife were “sending us a message?” (beyond that of the usual, expected message from his wife.)
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That's a real head-scratcher. I've been at a few more ordinary holiday gatherings where clear negative vibes were thrown around (making for a more unpleasant time than you had), but that's part of what makes this so interesting.

To evaluate well, I really think I'd have to know these people (and I'm not asking you to fill me in on it - I'm just describing my limitation).

But to do my best:
    1. For now, not insulted, just very very curious.
    2. At that point, I might just be happy to have learned something (that it wasn't a one-off)
    3. Definitely attend Christmas dinner.
    4. So tough to tell - let's see what happens at Christmas!

Hope for the best.
    Merry Christmas!
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very surreal and ….just wow. jmho but it seems like you were a complete inconvenience to them. I understand your love for your brother's company - I would love to have one more day with my (late) brother. But HIS WIFE! UGH!!! I would never darken her doorway again in my life. He'd be welcome in my house any time, but never ever her.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know nothing and no one, so my apologies if I’m out of place here, but:

1) what your bro did clearly affected you negatively. Address it with him before it builds up and boils over at the wrong time over some petty nonsense

2) screw her and anyone else that chooses phone/social media over immediate and present family. She embodies what is wrong with 2018.

3) possible to have Xmas at your house where you can lay down a template of how to do the holidays proper...like eating at the same time apparently?

4) bring a marker to draw stuff on his head if he gives you the baldback treatment again

5) sorry your thanksgiving sucked

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    ...bring a marker to draw stuff on his head if he gives you the baldback treatment again...
    Yes.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

You should have a conversation with your brother about how you feel. It's very rude from my point of view but if you don't address it, it will either keep happening or get worse. They should have waited for you to at least eat together and invite you to watch the game as a family. Not sure why his wife doesn't like you but maybe you should also have a polite conversation with her and let her know how you feel and maybe that you all could work on being more friendly to each other?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds classically passive-aggressive. Sorry, Jon.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If my brother or any of my siblings did that to me I would not speak to them for about a year. It sounds like they were sending you a message. Did something occur between all of you prior to this?

This is strange, why would he bother inviting you if they were going to essentially ignore you for the entire visit?

You need to speak with him, and get him to explain what was wrong because something was clearly wrong. Once he explains, you'll have to decide whether you want to potentially put up with this for a second time in the span of a month.

I'm prideful, so my instinct is to tell you to do your own thing for Christmas...

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I don't have any siblings so the closest I can relate would be to imagine if my best friend did this.

I have to say that if we showed up and they had already eaten, I would've likely simply left at that point as what is the point in coming over to have dinner together if you aren't even going to eat together? Even if I stayed to eat, I would have left immediately afterwards as it would be incredibly uncomfortable and awkward being left alone so they could scroll through Facebook and watch television.

You didn't say, but I'm curious to know how long you did stay after you were done eating and how much you were ignored at that point?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seems odd to say the least - definitely deserves a conversation - to express your feelings above. who knows what might be going on in their lives 9or some insult they might have perceived from you) to warrant this. Have previous family gatherings been like this? or was this something new and out of place? Was it because other family members could not make it? so they did not think it necessary to wait? again odd - and definitely deserves a conversation - especially if you are close to your brother
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good for you for waiting until after the fact to potentially say something, Jon. I feel like stopping and thinking about a negative situation before responding is half the battle. The other half? Definitely talking to your brother. Has it ever been like that at their house before? It sounds like a jerk move on their part, the way they treated you guys, but I've been in situations where it seems like I'm 100% in the right, but then I get the other person's perspective and it turns out they either didn't mean any harm, were having a tough time with something, etc.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

A discussion with your brother is a must...before any other holiday gatherings are planned.
    See what happens from there.
    Sorry your turkey day sucked; sorry your brother shackled himself to such a woman.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

To answer a few questions"

This was completely new behavior which is what made it so curious. I must admit I was far more curious than insulted. After Thanksgiving dinner all the banter was as normal and friendly as expected. There were no recent events/incidents. My SIL has been distant since the day we met and that distance displayed turned "cold" nearly a decade ago. So her behavior was expected and, in my mind she is a compete non-factor. He's my brother despite her.

CHRISTMAS DINNER UPDATE: The whole family/extended family attended dinner and all seemed well expect one point. My brother's son, we'll call him Glen, took my mother (his grandmother) a drink. Glen is 37 years old. My mother politely stated, "Oh Glen you don't have to bring me things." To which Glen replied "Yeah I do Grandma, you're old."
    Glen got a lot of dirty looks and retorted "Well am I wrong?" I stated"You may be right, Glen, but you're an asshole." My Mom chastised me for my language. But all seemed well as the normal joking/wrestling between Glen, myself and my brother carried on throughout the day. Locke and I were the last to leave about two and a half hours later. We were the last to leave by mere minutes as folks departed virtually en masse. It was a short event as the mass of the family was to meet up the next day to attend an American Pro Football game.

I suspect the behavior at Thanksgiving was a product of so much of the family being away and my brother just being an oblivious oaf. This is the angle I am coming from in the future. We didn't discuss Thanksgiving Day as I didn't want to cast a shadow on Christmas. THANK YOU ALL FOR RESPONDING!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.