Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do you collect UK editions ?

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Why do you collect UK editions ?

I’m just on my way to Heathrow and had a question in mind that I can’t really answer...

Why do you folks (outside the UK)
    collect UK first editions ?

It’s a country like any other - still awesome and beautiful but there is no connection to king , is it?

Why not Australien , German or anywhere else?

I mean there are some folks that do, especially within their homebase but
    I see a big market for UK editions and don’t understand where that comes from.

I’m short : Why is a UK edition more desirable then any other counties first?

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1) The grass is always greener - meaning I often prefer the UK slipcover artwork over the North American editions. I've heard UK guys say they like our covers, so yeah...always greener
    2) Unlike German editions, or other editions from other countries - they're still in English. Perfectly viable to be read as a book. I own a few non-english King editions and they're nothing but art.
    3) You have different limited editions - Waterstones, Goldsboro, etc , and any excuse to get in on some affordable "limited" editions is good enough.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I initially started collecting UK 1st editions simply because 1) it was ‘a thing’ that many of the bigger collectors here did when I joined the forum years ago and 2) I was intrigued by the small print runs and cool cover art of the early UK King titles.

Reading (and collecting) non-English King doesn’t make sense to me because he writes in English, which I can read, so... (translations never quite capture the spirit of the original).

So I guess to me the appeal is the combination of the original language and the desirable ‘oddities’ that are found among the UK editions.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty much the same thing others are saying. I was first intrigued by the cover art. After years of seeing the same US covers, these were different and exciting. Same reason new covers (like Holdorf) are interesting to me. I don't actually read the UK editions, so I guess other non-English speaking countries should be of interest as well, but they aren't ... so let's just say no logical reason, like most collecting!

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Because they make me all warm and fuzzy

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm from Australia originally, and so I bought and read UK editions of King until I moved to the US in the mid 90s. After that, I could still order UK editions from online bookstores, so I continued to prefer them, even though it was more expensive. When it comes to trade editions, I collect UK editions almost exclusively - the only exceptions being when there isn't a UK edition.

So it's partly nostalgia, and partly that I generally like the style of the books more than the US editions. Hodder have done a good job of making King's book feel very distinctive, I think.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Cos I live here.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a non-collector I'll never understand the need for multiple copies of the same book, not to mention of the same edition. But I do collect US first editions or first hardcover editions (in cases like The Green Mile). Since the author is a US author it makes sense to collect his US editions. He doesn't have any input on how his books are published in the UK or anywhere else other than at home. To me, the US editions are the "official" editions. And I always prefer the US covers anyway, personally. And some US covers are just iconic at this point, like The Stand or It.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of the covers, I have been wanting to have a poll of US vs UK covers. I think in general I like the US covers better, the main exceptions are the DT books.

I don't collect the UK 1st trade editions, but I do collect the Limited editions. Gave it up for about 3 months, but then jumped back in.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Different cover art, lower print runs, english language.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I collect UK SK books and find it fun for many reasons. SK received his first big check from the UK so any talk about no ties to the UK isn't completely accurate. I like the UK covers. I also liked the challenge of acquiring signed F/F copies of SK books with limited print runs. King didn't have the same distribution ties to non-English-speaking countries like he did with England/UK so finding English-signed copies was more possible than a French, Spanish, or German copy, for example.

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Reading (and collecting) non-English King doesn’t make sense to me because he writes in English, which I can read, so... (translations never quite capture the spirit of the original).
    As a french person, I would give a different opinion since I pretty much only collect french books. The reasons being :
    1) it's my native language, although I do read english
    2) I have some good knowledge of King's publication in french, even the lesser known
    3) less to collect, less collectors (with big money to spend on items), therefore more reachable
    4) I do not want / cant afford collecting american/british editions and proofs. Too expensive. Too many collectors.
    5) Over the past 10 years or so i've been managing the Club Stephen King community I have built a network of contacts at french publishers allowing me to get french ARCS/Proofs whenever it's possible
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Different cover art, lower print runs, english language.
    That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

For other authors, sometimes the UK is the true first, other times the author is British so I want to read their version not the Americaniszed one.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, same as most others (covers, low print run, english). However, like HBJ, being Australian we get the UK covers (although rarely the hardcovers - the firsts that come out here are typically the large trade paperbacks) - so there's that original familiarity with the UK covers.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by HONKYTONKSMASH View Post
    Because they make me all warm and fuzzy
    Those poor books
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I never really did collect UK's (starting with my early King collecting) for these reasons: Many moons ago, serious book collecting mentors had explained to me that the general rule of thumb was to collect from the author's country of origin. That any other "foreign" editions would be considered of lesser stature. That can be fudged and rationed away pretty easily, but you get the gist. And- it was also known that UK hardcovers were made cheaply with inferior materials; glued bindings prone to fail, and non acid-free paper, quickly yellowing. Things have changed since that old advice, however, and it's a "global" collectible market now.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Yeah, same as most others (covers, low print run, english). However, like HBJ, being Australian we get the UK covers (although rarely the hardcovers - the firsts that come out here are typically the large trade paperbacks) - so there's that original familiarity with the UK covers.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don’t, have no intention to ever either. Just don’t interest me but signed limiteds I sure do...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had no clue the UK editions existed until I joined this site and started collecting. I prefer most UK covers over the US is the main reason for me. Seems more thought it put into them and I love the WHSmith purple editions.

Besides, where else can you get 10,000 variants (Sleeping Beauties)
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I had no clue the UK editions existed until I joined this site and started collecting. I prefer most UK covers over the US is the main reason for me. Seems more thought it put into them and I love the WHSmith purple editions.

I agree. For some reason, the UK covers are usually my favorites. And those purple ones... I just have a problem, and a dealer in the UK to keep me addicted.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I don’t, have no intention to ever either. Just don’t interest me but signed limiteds I sure do...

So, then you collect the British S/L's?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post

I agree. For some reason, the UK covers are usually my favorites. And those purple ones... I just have a problem, and a dealer in the UK to keep me addicted.
    I have him on speed dial as well
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

And now I have you addicted, time to put the prices up!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

And now I have you addicted, time to put the prices up!
    And we'd gladly pay it no doubt!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast