Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2018

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Halloween Horror-thon 2018

Hard to believe it, but it's that time of year again. Pumpkin spice is back, the air's turning colder, and blood-curdling screams are emanating from TVs all across America (well, mine at least).

Anyone planning on watching anything good this month?

I finally saw Hereditary last night and it was...umm...I...uh...

Some new ones I'm hoping to get to: Prom Night, Coraline, Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Vacancy, The Changeling, The Sentinel, Halloween (new), Hellfest, Goosebumps 2, The House with a Clock in its Walls

Re-watches: Scream, Jigsaw, Frankenweenie, Beetlejuice, Halloween, It, The Mist, Misery, Carrie

Here's our thread from last year: Halloween Horror-thon 2017. Hope to get a few more people sharing their watches and recommendations this month!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Pumpkin spice is back
    Love me some PSL

Maybe I'll go see the new Halloween, sounds like it might be worth it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My October list:
    Read Needful Things, then watch Needful Things (a virgin to both)
    Read Haunting of Hill House, then watch HHH on Netflix

Going to try to go down a Hammer Horror film rabbit hole as I have man love for Christopher Lee. I love all Mummy films but this year I’m gonna try to watch most of his Frankenstein & Dracula efforts.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Sentinel is pretty good. You should also look into Eyes Without A Face.

I don't have a lot necessarily on my list...but I'll try and watch from this list:

Halloween (to prep for the new one)
    The Orphanage
    The Witch
    Train to Busan
    [REC]3: Genesis
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    My October list:
    These are the 2 books I'm currently reading
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm also definitely binging Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix the weekend of the 26th!

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    My October list:

These are the 2 books I'm currently reading
    That’s wild; and here I thought I was unique & special...we’ll hafta reconvene to share our thoughts on them. I have high hopes for both of them

(FYI last year my October King romp was reading Pet Sematary and then watching it in case we’ve been secretly bonded twins our whole lives and never knew it)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That's too funny because I actually read and watched Pet Semetary last Oct too. Maybe we are secretly bonded twins or something

And this is my first time reading Needful Things, so far I'm really enjoying it. I've read Haunting of Hill House a few times, but it's the pick for our bookclub for the month so I wanted to refresh my memory since it's been awhile.

Country
    Country Flag

That's too funny because I actually read and watched Pet Semetary last Oct too. Maybe we are secretly bonded twins or something

And this is my first time reading Needful Things, so far I'm really enjoying it. I've read Haunting of Hill House a few times, but it's the pick for our bookclub for the month so I wanted to refresh my memory since it's been awhile.
    Ok shouldn’t this be the kind of thing that Netflix should be telling us???

Stop trying to recommend me to to watch Scream 4 Netflix! Clearly if it hasn’t happened yet it ain’t going to.
    Instead tell me that Heather19 watches the same shit as me, so maybe show me things she’s recently watched instead, etc

I’ve been sitting on Needful Things for a long time, but Castle Rock this summer made me promote it to my October book #1. So far so good

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm not exactly surrounded by horror fans at home, but I try to do what I can.

We always find time for "family" type Halloween things, such as:
    - All 4 Halloweentown movies (which I enjoy, but dropping Mark Mothersbaugh after #2 was bad, minimizing Debbie Reynolds in #4 was ridiculous, using Lucas Grabeel in any capacity was stupid, ignoring the Kalabar mythos after #2 was a waste, and dropping Kimberly Brown for #4 was unconscionable).
    - Both Twitches movies (not really favorites of mine, but I have daughters; I can tolerate them well enough, bits are amusing)
    - Hocus Pocus, which is fantastic. Yes, it's a cult-fan comedy, and she's quite capable of hitting home runs with serious material, but isn't this movie Bette Midler's tour de force? She can do it all, and in HP, she does it all; the character of Winifred could only have reached its potential in Bette's hands. I would cut off a body part if it would convince them to make a sequel (and how hard could it be to do?)
    - 3 key episodes of Hey Arnold: Four-Eyed Jack, Haunted Train and...The Headless Cabbie (imagine this in a loud, echoey voice)
    - Disney's old animated adaptation of The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow

As for real horror, that's tougher to come by. Me/wife/1 daughter plan to see the new Halloween when we're out of state in a few weeks, and I hope to fit in two things already sitting in the DVR for which time has not yet been found: Amityville: The Awakening and The Autopsy Of Jane Doe.

If I can find time for some more real horror, I would love to.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My October list:
    Needful Things is one of my favorites (as for the movie...not so much)! I hope you end up enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'm also definitely binging Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix the weekend of the 26th!
    This one does look good, so I'm intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I'm not exactly surrounded by horror fans at home, but I try to do what I can.

We always find time for "family" type Halloween things, such as:
    - All 4 Halloweentown movies (which I enjoy, but dropping Mark Mothersbaugh after #2 was bad, minimizing Debbie Reynolds in #4 was ridiculous, using Lucas Grabeel in any capacity was stupid, ignoring the Kalabar mythos after #2 was a waste, and dropping Kimberly Brown for #4 was unconscionable).
    - Both Twitches movies (not really favorites of mine, but I have daughters; I can tolerate them well enough, bits are amusing)
    - Hocus Pocus, which is fantastic. Yes, it's a cult-fan comedy, and she's quite capable of hitting home runs with serious material, but isn't this movie Bette Midler's tour de force? She can do it all, and in HP, she does it all; the character of Winifred could only have reached its potential in Bette's hands. I would cut off a body part if it would convince them to make a sequel (and how hard could it be to do?)
    - 3 key episodes of Hey Arnold: Four-Eyed Jack, Haunted Train and...The Headless Cabbie (imagine this in a loud, echoey voice)
    - Disney's old animated adaptation of The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow

As for real horror, that's tougher to come by. Me/wife/1 daughter plan to see the new Halloween when we're out of state in a few weeks, and I hope to fit in two things already sitting in the DVR for which time has not yet been found: Amityville: The Awakening and The Autopsy Of Jane Doe.
    The Halloweentown movies came out when I was a kid, so I have a special fondness for them. They're still pretty fun. And the Headless Cabbie? I haven't thought of that in years!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Ok shouldn’t this be the kind of thing that Netflix should be telling us???

Stop trying to recommend me to to watch Scream 4 Netflix! Clearly if it hasn’t happened yet it ain’t going to.
    Instead tell me that Heather19 watches the same shit as me, so maybe show me things she’s recently watched instead, etc

I’ve been sitting on Needful Things for a long time, but Castle Rock this summer made me promote it to my October book #1. So far so good
    Unfortunately I haven't really been watching much recently. But here's my list of some stuff I'd like to watch for the season.

Halloween
    new Halloween movie
    Nightmare on Elm St.
    Firestarter (just finished the book and have never seen the movie)
    Night of the Living Dead (being released in theaters this year so hopefully I can catch it)
    The Shining
    Trick r' Treat (this seems to be becoming an annual Halloween movie for me)
    Kenny and Company (another annual Halloween movie)

And I'll post my list of what I actually watch as the month progresses

Ricky you need to watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, it's one of my personal favorites. And Nosferatu is a classic as well. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on both of those.

Country
    Country Flag

Needful Things is one of my favorites (as for the movie...not so much)! I hope you end up enjoying it.
    This seems to be the consensus. Definitely gonna rent not buy but I’m still fired up to see it.

Unfortunately I haven't really been watching much recently. But here's my list of some stuff I'd like to watch for the season.

Halloween
    new Halloween movie
    Nightmare on Elm St.
    Firestarter (just finished the book and have never seen the movie)
    Night of the Living Dead (being released in theaters this year so hopefully I can catch it)
    The Shining
    Trick r' Treat (this seems to be becoming an annual Halloween movie for me)
    Kenny and Company (another annual Halloween movie)

And I'll post my list of what I actually watch as the month progresses
    Solid list. Am realizing I don’t have an annual Halloween movie like you do. Maybe this October will be when I discover mine.

Country
    Country Flag

Ricky you need to watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, it's one of my personal favorites. And Nosferatu is a classic as well. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on both of those.
    They've been on my Halloween to-watch list for years but I never get to them. I've got Caligari on the DVR, so maybe this will be the year.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

They've been on my Halloween to-watch list for years but I never get to them. I've got Caligari on the DVR, so maybe this will be the year.
    Yes! No excuses now

Traveler Mushabon is on a distinguished road Mushabon's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually do a 31 days of Horrorfest on my instagram page where I post a still each day of what the night's movie is. Some people try guessing what I'm watching or use it as inspiration for movies I suppose. This is my 4th year of doing it and I have a blast each time

https://www.instagram.com/mushabon/
    VII

"She’s whiskey in a teacup She’s a diamond that wants to stay coal..."
    -Tom Waits

=Check Out My=
    Art // Webcomic // Shop

Country
    Country Flag

Saw Hell Fest today and really enjoyed it. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was nice to see a new slasher in theaters, especially one so Halloween-themed. Likable characters, compelling score, and it did a really nice job of making you question what's real and what isn't, adding a nice flavor to things. (Also, bonus points for a great Halloween atmosphere.) A little meandering at times in terms of plot focus, but I had a lot of fun. I don't think I'll end up re-watching it in the future, but can definitely see having it on in the background.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw Hell Fest today and really enjoyed it. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was nice to see a new slasher in theaters, especially one so Halloween-themed. Likable characters, compelling score, and it did a really nice job of making you question what's real and what isn't, adding a nice flavor to things. (Also, bonus points for a great Halloween atmosphere.) A little meandering at times in terms of plot focus, but I had a lot of fun. I don't think I'll end up re-watching it in the future, but can definitely see having it on in the background.
    I was wondering how this is. The reviews sucked, but don't they always for these type of movies? Might have to wander down to the theater for it!

So far I've watched The Shining, Tales from the Darkside: The Movie, The Conjuring, Chernobyl Diaries, and House on Haunted Hill (with Vincent Price). As I stand back, that is a totally random list. From great to meh. But as long as it's horror, it's on!

Country
    Country Flag

Finally watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari last night. It was a lot different than I thought it would be. Going in, I didn't know it was a silent film, but it didn't bother me. I think for almost 100 years old, the story still holds up, but I think I was expecting something more in terms of horror or suspense. I can totally see how Tim Burton might've been influenced by it when making Edward Scissorhands.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

So glad you finally watched it! I'm sure back in the day it was pretty terrifying, but I guess if I were to compare it to Nosferatu, I would say the later was far scarier and creepier. I love all the sets they used for the film.

I haven't had time to watch too much yet, but so far I've seen The Final Girls, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973), and a Don Coscarelli double feature with Kenny & Company and Phantasm. I also have Bubba Ho-Tep by him and was going to watch that the other night but my blu-ray player was on the fritz.

Country
    Country Flag

Nosferatu DOES look creepy. I might have to get to that one soon, too. I need more time! I'm seriously considering taking Halloween off so I can just stay home and watch movies.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

You need to watch Nosferatu! I wish I could take the month off and just watch horror films and shows non-stop

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I feel like my Halloween movie watching has gotten off to a good start this year.
    So far, I've watched The Nun, The Final Girls, Lights Out, Sinister, Frankenstein, and Winchester.

As far as "new" movies, I still plan on watching The Conjuring: The Last Key, Halloween (2018 ), and The Visit.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

And this is my first time reading Needful Things, so far I'm really enjoying it.
    I'm so jealous that you're reading it for the first time. I ended up loving that book way more than I even anticipated going in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast