Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2019 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’m surprised Annihilation wasn’t mentioned. It’s making my top 10 for sure.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I’m surprised Annihilation wasn’t mentioned. It’s making my top 10 for sure.
    It was my #1 film. I tried coming up with films all year that I liked more, but it just never happened.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Annihilation. Garland was the perfect director for that kind of cerebral sci-fi. His love for the genre really shines through.

Want to rewatch it now that I'm thinking about it.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I loved Annihilation. Garland was the perfect director for that kind of cerebral sci-fi. His love for the genre really shines through.

Want to rewatch it now that I'm thinking about it.
    Agreed, my biggest issue is that Garland makes Ex Machina, a cerebral Sci-fi film. It puts him on the map and gets the attention of a big studio. They give him money to make a cerebral Sci-fi film and then fuck with him and try to make him change shit. That's what's wrong with movie studios in a nutshell.

Anyway, Oscar nominations are right around the corner. Here are my picks for what I would like the nominations to look like. These are not my predictions for the actual nominations.

Best Picture

A Quiet Place
    A Star is Born
    Annihilation
    BlackkKlansman
    Green Book
    Leave No Trace
    Roma
    The Favourite
    Vice
    Widows

Best Actor

Christian Bale - Vice
    Joaquin Phoenix - You Were Never Really Here
    Viggo Mortensen - Green Book
    Bradley Cooper - A Star is Born
    Rami Malek - Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Actress

Lady Gaga - A Star is Born
    Emily Blunt - A Quiet Place
    Charlize Theron - Tully
    Melissa McCarthy - Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Toni Collette - Hereditary

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams - Vice
    Emma Stone - The Favourite
    Rachel Weisz - The Favourite
    Claire Foy - First Man
    Nicole Kidman - Boy Erased

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali - Green Book
    Timothée Chalamet - Beautiful Boy
    Adam Driver - BlacKkKlansman
    Sam Elliott - A Star Is Born
    Richard E. Grant - Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Director

Bradley Cooper - A Star Is Born
    Yorgos Lanthimos - The Favourite
    Spike Lee - BlacKkKlansman
    Adam McKay - Vice
    Peter Farrelly - Green Book

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, I don't put a lot of stock in the Golden Globes. Green Book is in the comedy/musical category and Bohemian Rhapsody is in the drama category? That just makes no sense. That should have been swapped and nobody would have given a shit. Nothing has really been cleared up because the Oscar front runner (Roma) also won last night, but that was in the foreign category.

I think the most surprising win for me was Glenn Close for The Wife. The Wife has to be the least buzzed about film out there, although two other nominees in that category, Pike and Kidman, are also in films that haven't received a lot of attention. To me, that category is now wide open. I still think Gaga takes, but with Olivia Colman winning in the Globe in the Musical/comedy category, she might be coming on strong. Honestly, I feel that Colman is actually the supporting actress in that film, but it looks like they are going to push Stone and Weisz for supporting.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't there like a historical correlation between the winners of the Globes and the eventual Oscar winners? An extremely high percentile?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You guys, I'm so out of the loop this year. I didn't even watch The Golden Globes I haven't seen it but how was Bohemian Rhapsody not in the comedy/musical category? What category was A Star is Born in? I would have put both under musical. I've also never even heard of The Wife. And I have 2 free movie tickets that I got around black friday that will expire soon, and there's been nothing released at the theaters that I want to go see. What's happening to me
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked the trailer for The Wife and when I posted it last year in the trailers thread, I even made a comment that it will get Glenn Close an Oscar nomination. Oh and Bohemian Rhapsody was not in the musical category, I think, because it's about music but not a musical per se. Mary Poppins Returns would be a musical in that sense.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    You guys, I'm so out of the loop this year. I didn't even watch The Golden Globes I haven't seen it but how was Bohemian Rhapsody not in the comedy/musical category? What category was A Star is Born in? I would have put both under musical. I've also never even heard of The Wife. And I have 2 free movie tickets that I got around black friday that will expire soon, and there's been nothing released at the theaters that I want to go see. What's happening to me
    Oh know! Hopefully it's just a phase. It is getting harder and harder to find the kinds of films you might be interested in at the theater.

I really liked the trailer for The Wife and when I posted it last year in the trailers thread, I even made a comment that it will get Glenn Close an Oscar nomination. Oh and Bohemian Rhapsody was not in the musical category, I think, because it's about music but not a musical per se. Mary Poppins Returns would be a musical in that sense.
    Your reasoning is sound, but I cite Inside Llewyn Davis, nominated in 2014 for Best Motion Picture Musical/Comedy. There's no reason both A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody shouldn't have been nominated in the Musical/Comedy category.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of the Golden Globes, I loved how Christian Bale thanked Satan in his acceptance speech.

there's been nothing released at the theaters that I want to go see. What's happening to me
    Same here, Heather. I had 11 days off for Christmas break and wanted to go to the movies but there wasn't a thing I wanted to see. Hopefully that changes soon.

I really liked the trailer for The Wife and when I posted it last year in the trailers thread, I even made a comment that it will get Glenn Close an Oscar nomination.
    I've had The Wife on my to-watch list for awhile now and was shocked to see it nominated for a Golden Globe just because I had no idea it had even been released yet. Hate it when a good-looking film gets a limited release and never a wide.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well I did go to the indie theater last month to see At Eternity's Gate (which unfortunately wasn't that great), but there's been no mainstream movies released lately that have appealed to me. I do want to see On the Basis of Sex and Glass which come out soon so hopefully my tickets don't expire before then.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination process is happening/about to happen. The nominations have usually been around my birthday, or on my birthday on a few occasions. Looking forward to participating the seemingly never-ending Oscar discussion once we have some nominees.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...-three-decades
    For the first time in almost 30 years, the Oscars will air without a host, Variety has confirmed. The producers are apparently planning for a group of A-listers to introduce various segments throughout the night.

Kevin Hart was originally going to host the event but dropped out hours later after derogatory comments and tweets previously made by the comedian about the LGBTQ community were unearthed. After an appearance on Ellen Degeneres’ show, it was rumored that the Academy had considered welcoming Hart back as the host had he used the opportunity to apologize. Hart’s appearance on the show only furthered the controversy for the actor and for DeGeneres.

The Oscar producers and the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences are seeking top talent, hoping to line-up a group for the telecast which is airing live in about six weeks. The broadcast will feature skits and will “play up a high-profile year for music in film” no doubt highlighting likely nominees Lady Gaga, Dolly Parton, and Kendrick Lamar, the outlet noted.

The Academy and its producers are also looking to revamp the show, specifically in trimming it down. An anonymous awards show and live events producer told the outlet: “The people who produce that show are hogtied by the Academy, who as a group are not willing to change very much. It’s hard to know how anyone in my community can really contribute.” The same producer did imply that moving away from a single Oscar host will be a good change.

The Academy Awards have gone without a host only one time before, and before then, there were instances of big-named talent such as Bob Hope, Jack Lemmon, Rosalind Russell, and, of course, Donald Duck, sharing the duties. The last time more than three people hosted the event was in 1987 when Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, and Paul Hogan worked the stage together.

The 91st Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Speaking of the Golden Globes, I loved how Christian Bale thanked Satan in his acceptance speech.

there's been nothing released at the theaters that I want to go see. What's happening to me
    Same here, Heather. I had 11 days off for Christmas break and wanted to go to the movies but there wasn't a thing I wanted to see. Hopefully that changes soon.

I really liked the trailer for The Wife and when I posted it last year in the trailers thread, I even made a comment that it will get Glenn Close an Oscar nomination.
    I've had The Wife on my to-watch list for awhile now and was shocked to see it nominated for a Golden Globe just because I had no idea it had even been released yet. Hate it when a good-looking film gets a limited release and never a wide.
    I would highly recommend Green Book, but it might be hard to find in theaters at this point.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm happy with that. The Oscars don't need a host, and having one is only used to draw in some casual viewers who might be curious about their favorite A-list star spearheading the night. The SAG awards never used to have a host and it was great. They would get right to the point. Hopefully without the monologue and cheesy opening, they can end the show on time, streamline things, and have some better reflection on film.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a shame Green Book is getting all this controversy about the inconsistencies about the story. I think it's going to cost the film a Best Picture nomination.

Country
    Country Flag

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

I would highly recommend Green Book, but it might be hard to find in theaters at this point.
    Green Book was AMAZING. Even if it was loosely based on the truth. I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night and can see why Malik won the Globe too.... wow.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Tomorrow is the big morning! If you'd like to watch along, you can use this link.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night and can see why Malik won the Globe too.... wow.
    Easily the best performance of 2018. Don't even need to see the other nominees.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night and can see why Malik won the Globe too.... wow.
    Easily the best performance of 2018. Don't even need to see the other nominees.
    Man, I went back and watched the acutal footage of the Live Aid.... and I could not tell the difference. lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, actually shocked that Black Panther really did get that BP nom.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm totally underwhelmed by the nominations. For such a great year of film, it's just so blah. Maybe I'll feel different when I watch a few of the key films that I've missed. As it stands I'm hoping Roma/Green Book/The Favourite just clean house.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast