Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2019 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think my brain can handle Oscar stuff quite yet.

But I am looking forward to Can You Ever Forgive Me?.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I don't think my brain can handle Oscar stuff quite yet.

But I am looking forward to Can You Ever Forgive Me?.
    Well, your brain better start handling it! Heather hasn't won in 2 years so you know she's out for justice this year.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love how I haven't won in years yet you guys are still out to get me
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think we just wanted to be the ones to dethrone you.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I guess we can give out the Best Hair and Makeup award now:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/su...er-1202011200/
    The (not-so-kept) secret is out: Tilda Swinton has confirmed she is the actress playing 82-year-old male psychiatrist Dr. Jozef Klemperer in Luca Guadagnino’s “Suspiria.” For months now, Amazon Studios and “Suspiria” cast and crew have been claiming the character is played by Lutz Ebersdorf, with Swinton even reading a statement on behalf of Ebersdorf at the film’s Venice Film Festival press conference. The actress finally came forward in an interview with The New York Times about Klemperer’s real identity

“Undeniably, I would have to say, for the sheer sake of fun above all,” Swinton replied when asked why she wanted to take on the role. “As my grandmother would have it — a motto to live and die by — ‘Dull Not To.’”

Swinton was transformed into an 82-year-old man with the help of Oscar-winning makeup artist Mark Coulier. The two worked together on Wes Anderson’s “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” which similarly forced Swinton to be turned into an elderly person.

“Although she has a slightly androgynous look from sort of a fashion-model point of view, Tilda’s got a very feminine bone structure,” Coulier said.

Coulier “thickened Swinton’s neck with prosthetics and built her jaw out to look heavier and more masculine” in order to turn the actress into Klemperer. Swinton spent four hours in the makeup chair each day to pull off the look. In order to be fully transformed into her male character, Swinton personally requested Coulier make her a male reproductive organ.

“She did have us make a penis and balls,” Coulier said. “She had this nice, weighty set of genitalia so that she could feel it dangling between her legs, and she managed to get it out on set on a couple of occasions.”

Swinton’s fake penis and balls are “probably in a box somewhere,” Coulier said. “I should try and find it, and put it on a plaque on the wall of my workshop.”

“Suspiria” opens nationwide November 2 following a limited opening in New York and Los Angeles on October 26.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I love how I haven't won in years yet you guys are still out to get me
    Because as soon as we let our guard down. BAM!! It's already too late.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/20...ns-1202012918/
    The 2018-19 awards season has officially begun with the nominations announcement for the 2018 Gotham Awards. The awards ceremony, presented by the Independent Filmmaker Project (IFP), consists of 10 awards given to independent features and series.

Nominees for the 2018 Gotham Awards were selected by committees made up of film critics, journalists, festival programmers, and film curators. This year’s nomination jury included IndieWire’s own Eric Kohn, David Ehrlich, Liz Shannon Miller, and Jude Dry. The Gotham winners are decided by a separate jury of filmmakers, writers, producers, and other crew members directly involved in making films. The Audience Award is selected by IFP members through online voting.

The nominees for the 2018 Gotham Awards are led by Yorgos Lanthimos’ “The Favourite” and Paul Schrader’s “First Reformed,” which both picked up three nominations a piece. The films will compete for best feature opposite “Madeline’s Madeline,” “The Rider,” and “If Beale Street Could Talk.” Films that picked up two nominations include indie hits “Sorry to Bother You,” “Eighth Grade,” and “Hereditary.”

As the first major awards ceremony of the season, the Gotham Awards play a key role in elevating certain performances and films into the awards conversation. At last year’s ceremony, “Get Out” jumpstarted its awards campaign with three wins, including best screenplay, the audience award, and breakthrough director, while Luca Guadagnino’s “Call Me By Your Name” took the top honor, best feature.

Check out the full list of nominees below. The 28th IFP Gotham Awards will take place Monday, November 26 in New York City.

Best Feature
    “First Reformed”
    “The Favorite”
    “Madeline’s Madeline”
    “If Beale Street Could Talk”
    “The Rider”

Best Documentary
    “Bisbee ‘17”
    “Hale County This Morning, This Evening”
    “Minding the Gap”
    “Shirkers”
    “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?”

Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award
    Bo Burnham, “Eighth Grade”
    Ari Aster, “Hereditary”
    Boots Riley, “Sorry to Bother You”
    Crystal Moselle, “Skate Kitchen”
    Jennifer Fox, “The Tale”

Best Screenplay
    Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, “The Favorite”
    Cory Finley, “Thoroughbreds”
    Paul Schrader, “First Reformed”
    Tamara Jenkins, “Private Life”
    Andrew Bujalski, “Support the Girls”

Best Actor
    Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
    Ben Foster, “Leave No Trace”
    Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
    Ethan Hawke, “First Reformed”
    Lakeith Stanfield, “Sorry to Bother You”

Best Actress
    Glenn Close, “The Wife”
    Toni Collette, “Hereditary”
    Kathryn Hahn, “Private Life”
    Regina Hall, “Support the Girls”
    Michelle Pfeiffer, “Where is Kyra?”

Special Jury Award For Ensemble Performance
    “The Favourite”: Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, and Rachel Weisz

Breakthrough Actor
    Thomasin Harcourt, “Leave No Trace”
    Helena Howard, “Madeline’s Madeline”
    Kiki Layne, “If Beale Street Could Talk”
    Elsie Fisher, “Eighth Grade”
    Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”

Breakthrough Series – Long Form
    “Alias Grace”
    “Big Mouth”
    “The End of the F***ing World”
    “Killing Eve”
    “Pose”
    “Sharp Objects”

Breakthrough Series – Short Form
    “195 Lewis”
    “Cleaner Daze”
    “Distance”
    “The F Word”
    “She’s the Ticket”

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's so weird how things work sometimes. All of a sudden, I'm hearing buzz about First Reformed. I remember seeing the trailer for this one months ago, but then I lost track of it and don't even remember when it came out. It certainly didn't get a wide release. Now, all of a sudden, I'm seeing it mentioned among the best films of the year.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

What did you share above? I need to know!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Hm, it was the weekly For Your Consideration video from Collider on the Supporting Actress race but now it's gone. Weird.

Country
    Country Flag

And now it's been reuploaded.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/os...ns-1202014919/
    Wes Anderson’s “Isle of Dogs” and Pixar’s “Incredibles 2” are two of the 25 movies that have been officially submitted this year for the Best Animated Feature Oscar. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the official submissions list, which includes titles from regulars of the category, such as Walt Disney Animation Studios (“Wreck-It Ralph 2”), GKids (“Mirai”), and Illumination Entertainment (“The Grinch”).

The Oscar for best animated feature includes five nominees. Both “Isle of Dogs” and “Incredibles 2” are frontrunners for a nomination at this point, with the Pixar superhero adventure being a likely candidate for a win thanks to its critical acclaim and its more than $1 billion at the global box office. “The Incredibles” won the category in 2004, when the award was in its fourth year. Recent winners of the Oscar include “Coco,” “Zootopia,” “Inside Out,” and “Big Hero 6.”

Nominations for the 91st Academy Awards will be announced on Tuesday, January 22, 2019. The awards ceremony is set to take place Sunday, February 24 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. The full list of animated film submissions is below.

“Ana y Bruno”
    “Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch”
    “Early Man”
    “Fireworks”
    “Have a Nice Day”
    “Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation”
    “Incredibles 2”
    “Isle of Dogs”
    “The Laws of the Universe – Part I”
    “Liz and the Blue Bird”
    “Lu over the Wall”
    “MFKZ”
    “Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms”
    “Mirai”
    “The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl”
    “On Happiness Road”
    “Ralph Breaks the Internet”
    “Ruben Brandt, Collector”
    “Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero”
    “Sherlock Gnomes”
    “Smallfoot”
    “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”
    “Tall Tales”
    “Teen Titans Go! To the Movies”
    “Tito and the Birds”
    A fun list! As a huge animation fan I'd predict this as the final list of five nominees:
    • Incredibles 2
    • Isle of Dogs
    • Mirai
    • Ruben Brandt, Collector
    • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Honorable mentions would include: Fireworks; Lu over the Wall; MFKZ; The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl; Tito and the Birds.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Anderson is so beloved, I have to think Isle of Dogs walks away with that one easy.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Really bummed that Bohemian Rhapsody is getting really lukewarm reviews at best... I guess I should take it off my BP predictions and replace it with one of the Boys or something. It was a longshot anyway.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Really bummed that Bohemian Rhapsody is getting really lukewarm reviews at best... I guess I should take it off my BP predictions and replace it with one of the Boys or something. It was a longshot anyway.
    I still think it looks good and I will probably see it tomorrow. Half of the critics like it, half don't, so it doesn't mean it's bad, but the split more than likely means no BP nod.

Country
    Country Flag

I bet it'll be one of those noms (IF it's nominated) that's a vehicle for the main actor (Malek) rather than a true Best Picture-worthy film. Kind of like The Iron Lady for Streep or Darkest Hour for Oldman.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Malek is sensational as Mercury. He really seemed to channel the iconic singer.

I'm not really sure why it's divided critics. The film is your standard musical biopic, and maybe that's the reason right there. The film is pretty paint by numbers, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

I do agree with you, Ricky. I don't see the movie getting a BP nomination, but I definitely could see Malek getting a Best Actor nomination.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Adam Driver. Good for Collider. That's a big get.

Country
    Country Flag

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast