+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Twilight Zone

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Back to The Twilight Zone, what are everyone's favorite episodes? One of my personal favorites that I never hear much talk about is The Midnight Sun.
    There were several favorites for me.

I liked Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and Nick Of Time. Not because I'm a Shatner fan, more that I'm a Matheson fan.

As a bibliophile, I liked, and subsequently have recurring nightmares about, Time Enough To Last.

What You Need was cool.

I Shot An Arrow In The Air.

The Hitchhiker.

More...
    “It is easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    Mark Twain

Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm with you, Heather. There's lots of stuff I can't find except through the DVDs. And streaming just can't beat the excitement of receiving a new one in the mail. It's like music. iPods let you hear any song you want at any time, but it's still exciting to hear a song you like on the radio.
    Any old films I want that I can't find in the wild or at the library, I just buy on laserdisc. I just bought Bringing Up Baby the other day.

I more wish that they would release a new similar theme show, just not "The Twilight Zone". Of course I'll tune in though and see how it is. Hopefully it will exceed my expectations and be really good.
    I haven't watched it yet, but isn't the Netflix show Black Mirror kind of like The Twilight Zone?

If they get The Stand I'll have to at least try a free trial then. I don't really understand it. Why not show the shows on CBS, for a much wider audience? Do they show their current and past shows on this streaming service, or is it only new content? I'm just so sick of all the different streaming services. Wish they could all just be lumped up into one.
    I have no interest in paying for CBS All Access either, especially with the crazy cable prices. Your question is a tricky one. Some of the aren't being put on the regular CBS because they are of a higher standard, to be blunt. Honestly, CBS knows their audience. Their audience has very basic taste in TV. Shows like The Stand and Twilight Zone couldn't make it on Network TV nowadays. Just look at most of the successful shows on CBS right now. They are all fluffy remakes and standard procedurals like Hawaii Five-O, MacGyver, NCIS and its endless clones. I expect the new Magnum P.I. to be just as fluffy and easy to digest (and forget) and it will do equally well in the ratings.

I echo your frustration about the many streaming services and I would love a way to collect them all together, but at that point, it's essentially cable. I will more than likely just pickup the new Twilight Zone on Blu-ray, like I'm planning on doing with the Mr. Mercedes series.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So would anyone be up for a rewatch and discussion of the series if you have the boxset or can just stream? We can start on November 24th, since that marks the 60th anniversary of the airing of "The Time Element".

Great Pumpkin Believer Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welp, looks like The Twilight Zone box set is something I didn't know I needed. Christmas list!

Linus:
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Back to The Twilight Zone, what are everyone's favorite episodes? One of my personal favorites that I never hear much talk about is The Midnight Sun.
    There were several favorites for me.

I liked Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and Nick Of Time. Not because I'm a Shatner fan, more that I'm a Matheson fan.

As a bibliophile, I liked, and subsequently have recurring nightmares about, Time Enough To Last.

What You Need was cool.

I Shot An Arrow In The Air.

The Hitchhiker.

More...
    I love Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and Nick Of Time for the same reason. And of course Time Enough At Last is a favorite.

The Living Doll, To Serve Man, The Masks...

Must I stop?!

Maerlyn's Imp Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I haven't watched it yet, but isn't the Netflix show Black Mirror kind of like The Twilight Zone?
    The two shows have been compared often, although the many of stories in Black Mirror are based on futuristic technology. Each episode stands alone but if you watch them in order, there are tons of little Easter eggs and callbacks to previous episodes.

IIRC there are only 3 or 4 seasons of around 8 episodes each, so it's easy to run through them quickly. If you haven't seen it yet, you should really check it out. It's really good.

Just don't get put off by the very first episode. It's probably the worst of the bunch. If you have to, start season 1 with episode 2.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Servant of Gan St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...the new series won't be airing on tv. Screw that
    Yep.

I already have cable, Netflix and Amazon Prime; I just can't allow this type of entertainment cost mission creep to chase potentially interesting things like The Stand or The Twilight Zone or whatever comes next across new services (and I stress "potentially" because around half of the new shows I try out, through whatever source, don't make the cut after I've watched a few episodes; with my luck, The Stand would turn out to be a new Mist, and TTZ would do little other than make me miss the original).

I initially got Netflix because Blockbuster went away, but it has since built a reputation for generating great content of its own; I initially got Amazon Prime just for the free shipping but they too have produced some good shows.

I suppose the fact that both The Stand and TTZ are on the same service could make it tempting to sign up, but the fact is that I already know what CBS is, and I can't imagine I'll ever be willing to pay a dollar for anything they do, unless they build a reputation similar to Netflix's over the next few years.
    The media monkeys and the junket junkies will invite you to their plastic pantomime...throw their invites away.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I suppose the fact that both The Stand and TTZ are on the same service could make it tempting to sign up, but the fact is that I already know what CBS is, and I can't imagine I'll ever be willing to pay a dollar for anything they do, unless they build a reputation similar to Netflix's over the next few years.
    Also the new Star Trek shows. And since it's a paid service, it's not the usual CBS you get, it's much more like a Netflix indeed.

Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Just don't get put off by the very first episode. It's probably the worst of the bunch. If you have to, start season 1 with episode 2.
    It's funny you should say that because I started watching the first episode and had a hard time getting through it. The show is definitely on my watch list though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

Weedeater WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave up after the first episode too. I'll give it another go if it truly gets better.

Country
    Country Flag

It's really too bad the '80s revival and the 2002 revival aren't available for streaming. Would love to do a full rewatch of the whole franchise, including the movie.

Maerlyn's Imp Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I gave up after the first episode too. I'll give it another go if it truly gets better.
    It really does. The next 2 episodes after it are pretty good but IMO, the ones that came later were even better.

White Bear and White Christmas (starring Jon Hamm) were really good. So was USS Callister and Hang the DJ.

But you really have to watch them in order as they start to introduce technology in certain episodes that they continue to use in future episodes.

The very last episode, Black Museum, has a ton of Easter eggs from all the previous episodes.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/11/sanaa-l...twilight-zone/
    The next stop for Sanaa Lathan: The Twilight Zone.

The Affair and Nappily Ever After actress has boarded writer-director Jordan Peele’s reboot of the classic sci-fi anthology series for CBS All Access.

Lathan will star in an episode titled “Rewind” (which is the first episode title revealed so far from the series though not necessarily the first episode that will air).

Peele — who will also narrate the series — is re-imagining Rod Serling’s groundbreaking series for the modern age. There’s no premiere date yet, but it will air sometime in 2019.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2