Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Centipede Press Thread, Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Magnificent library! Congratulations!

And congrats also on the deluxe Shadow of the Torturer. An edition I will always long to own, but accept that I never will. Enjoy it!

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Clegane View Post
    Next one is rarer still. My weak camera work does a poor job of conveying all of the lenticular majesty of this beautiful set. This book existed in multiple states, from the Somewhat-rare-in-and-of-itself Trade hardcover to a limited with a case, to a deluxe (limited to 50) 3-volume set with the main book in a clamshell and the prints in accompanying slimmer volumes.

Artists Inspired By HP Lovecraft, published in 2008 by Centipede Press. Published in multiple states, of which this is 1/1, utterly unique and one of a kind.

Quarter leather and custom cloth binding with a lenticular image set into the cover, then housed in a massive, luxurious clamshell traycase.

Accompanying it is a second slimmer traycase, also bearing a lenticular piece on the exterior. Inside it houses three bound lenticular prints as well as 5 signature sheets signed by most of the living artists who contributed to the collection. Many of them provided rather intricate doodles to accompany their sig.

The traycases are matched in size and meant to be displayed together and this entire set is probably the pinnacle of Centipede Press's extant work in my opinion. I have some close seconds on my shelves, but I am not sure I own a single volume of any sort whose overall presentation exceeds this one. This is certainly the rarest single volume in my collection and possibly the most beautiful. I really need to get around to taking some clearer and fresher pictures of the set.

Again, I pose my question: you seem to like high end books... do you collect Suntup editions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Wow. Those look great. And a 1 of 1. Again, fantastic. I hope to see more of this collection.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Kris, I believe that an aficionado of Colin Dexter would most certainly have done his homework on Suntup Editions.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Kris, I believe that an aficionado of Colin Dexter would most certainly have done his homework on Suntup Editions.
    One would think... I asked though and he did not answer so I thought he may have missed where I did...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Traveler Clegane is on a distinguished road Clegane's Avatar

Sorry. I loathe lengthy typing on my phone and was waiting to get back to a PC to address the Suntup question. Yes I am well aware of them. No, I do not collect them. The gist of it is that when Misery was announced, I felt that the price point was extreme for a fledgling press whose only real completed project prior was an art portfolio. The shockingly high up front cost of their lifetime buy in set off a bevy of red flags for me. So after much deliberation I chose to pass on adding them to the small number of presses I collect. In hindsight it appears my misgivings were not borne out. Suntup has put out some good products and they seem to be building a good reputation for quality work. But the secondary market prices for people selling their limitation slots are nothing short of predatory so I continue to pass.

In short, they were too fringe for me to justify the prices at the outset and they’re too trendy for me to justify trying to buy in now given the high secondary cost. But I do not disagree about the quality of their work and given my druthers I may have made a different choice on the day the Misery preorder was in my reach.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Face That Must Die
    Ramsey Campbell

9.a Quarterbound leather and cloth, traycased, signed by Ramsey Campbell, Poppy Z. Brite, and J.K. Potter: 20 – $225 (Red roman numerals)
    9.b Clothbound with dustjacket, signed signed by Ramsey Campbell, Poppy Z. Brite, and J.K. Potter: 300 – $65
    9.c Trade paperback: 3000 – $14

Published as Millipede Press; 2006
    Original price: $225/$65/$14

Hey! It’s been awhile!

That should be the official tagline of the bibliographical portion of this thread.

The Face That Must Die was the second title from Millipede Press, and the second book in a series that I’m going to make up a name for, right now: the “circle series” (you’ll see why in a second, and also that I’m not particularly creative). “Series” in this case means a collection of books that are typographically and stylistically similar or identical. The books themselves are not related.

The circle series books are well represented in the previous post (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1145116) and so I’ll just document the cases in which a particular circle series book is different from its predecessors – usually just the dustjacket and limitation page.

I’m referring to this as the circle series because these books all share the same relatively-short-lived Millipede Press logo, a yellow circle/spiral on the top of the spine, like here:

Cover design for these books was generally a black upper band with art underneath.

I like this particular limitation page (and this particular book) because it has some excellent contributors. Another thing to note about this series and early Centipede Press books in general: the signature page is generally a free-for-all. As in most cases that usually results in the same general order and placement of signatures, but not always. Later books introduce those nice lines that indicate to authors where to sign.

Folks here may recognize the bottom signature as JK Potter’s, artist and contributor to several limited King editions.

The middle signature is New Orleans author Poppy Z. Brite, who provides a fantastic and insightful introduction, as always. Unfortunately, having retired from fiction writing after a nice run of good gothic horror novels and countless chapbooks and shorter works, we hear from Poppy less and less these days. Poppy is now known as Billy Martin, though when he does intros or makes other contributions to books, he still uses his old professional name and signs as “Poppy Z. Brite”.

The top signature is of course the signature of the quite prolific British author Ramsey Campbell. I’m sure that most folks here have heard of him and probably read some of his stuff!

You’ll also notice the same type used and mentioned (Fleischmann).

Up next - the next title from the Millipede Press imprint and the third book in the circle series:

Spoiler:
    Here Comes a Candle

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Outta my price range, but in the scratch and dent section -

Artists Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft.This is the special traycased edition which has an extra folder of prints. The two items--book and extra prints--come in a large traycase (unstamped) and I am also including the three 3-D lenticular H.P. Lovecraft prints as well. Very very handsome item. $2,795 or best offer.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Artists Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft.This is the special traycased edition which has an extra folder of prints. The two items--book and extra prints--come in a large traycase (unstamped) and I am also including the three 3-D lenticular H.P. Lovecraft prints as well. Very very handsome item. $2,795 or best offer.
    Man I would love that. I have been looking for the normal version for quite some time.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Man I would love that. I have been looking for the normal version for quite some time.
    Jeez, that sounds too pricey to me. I had a hard time selling that exact same edition on eBay (yes, several years ago, but still) for $500. Think I ended up taking $400. I'd put that edition at... $750. The book is the exact same as the "trade". Just comes with a folder of selected prints, and the blank traycase.

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Magic is Sold Out! For now, no unsigned editions.

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

If anyone is looking to sell matching numbers with future rights of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser then I would like to make an offer
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

I have a set I've been looking to move, but I've been too lazy to do anything about it. I PM'd you.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Childhood's End pre-orders are live for the general public.

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

Was there a private announcement like Suntup?

Ordered!

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Black Miau View Post

Ordered!
    Jerad informs pre public through his newsletter in which he asked last week if people were interested to reserve a copy. He always sends these on Sundays. They are my most favorite thing to read on a Sunday.
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Black Miau View Post

Ordered!
    It wasn't exclusive, you didn't need to own the previous CP book or even the previous Arthur C. Clarke book. If you had emailed Jerad and expressed interest in ordering the book, he emailed you the private link one day before he sent out the newsletter (today) to everyone.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

When I first received the newsletter this morning and looked at the Childhood's End listing it was "on sale" for $300.
    Now it only shows up at $325.
    Mark Twain

Country
    Country Flag

That seems to be a common CP practice. He'll offer a discount price to early direct orders and then they go back to regular price.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That seems to be a common CP practice. He'll offer a discount price to early direct orders and then they go back to regular price.
    Thanks, wasn't aware of that.
    Mark Twain

Along the Path of the Beam scarface will become famous soon enough

What do you guys think about the Book of the New Sun re-do? I for one would love to get a modern updated set, even if it will be an unsigned one. The old one cannot be found anywhere for a reasonable price and the mismatched heights of the books would probably drive me nuts even if I did end up buying one. Folio Society recently did a limited edition (of just the 4 books) but something about that art style put me off.
    WANTED:
    Half the World Lettered "LL"
    The First Law Trilogy (S/L)
    George Martin set (S/L)

FOR TRADE:
    Matthew Corbett (FF/W/X/Z) lettered set
    Swan Song,
    Crosstalk,
    Broken Earth Trilogy (SubPress S/L),

Country
    Country Flag

I responded and said I'm interested. I missed out on the first set and now they're impossible to find.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I don't understand what all the fuss is about with regard to Childhood's End (the physical book, not the story itself). The design specifications don't sound all that spectacular.

Am I missing something?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    I don't understand what all the fuss is about with regard to Childhood's End (the physical book, not the story itself). The design specifications don't sound all that spectacular.

Am I missing something?
    I'm expecting Elric type of quality with the way it is presented. Love the art shots already

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post

Am I missing something?
    Yeah literally sounds like just a plain book.
    Elric's design specifications didn't sound spectacular, of course I didn't buy it at that time. But in the end after printing. It was spectacular and beautiful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast