Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Centipede Press Thread, Including CP: Book by Book – An Incomplete Bibliography

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the basic gist is that SK found the book very large and extravagant and made for collectors and not readers (which, as members of this forum will say, isn't necessarily the case - it's a beauty to sit and read), and he made some comments to an interviewer as such.

It's been discussed before and my view is that King has a very loud mouthpiece, and when he's having a grumpy day and mentions something offhand, it has monstrous ripple effects that even he might not be aware of. So even though he loved the edition at the time, and the edition has become one of the best known collectible books, and he has subsequently approved editions that are much more elaborate and expensive than Salem's Lot, his intemperate words are forever available on the internet and will be a discussion point for years to come.

Also, there was the opinion that Jerad should have waited longer to present his next prospectus for a King book, but the date of submission hasn't been confirmed and Jerad has never commented publicly on this to my knowledge, and so this is nothing but conjecture (I bring it up because I think it's important to note that it's only conjecture, since if you dig about this issue it will come up).

AND HEY, I MADE AN IMPORTANT UPDATE TO THE SALEM'S LOT POST BASED ON OLD STUFF THAT I FORGOT ABOUT AND UNEARTHED TONIGHT, SO GO CHECK THAT OUT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT (IT'S ABOUT THE 2/2 EDITION).

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Thanks, guys, for filling me in on the story. I had bad luck finding any posts about it.

Is Jerad an active member here?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Thanks, guys, for filling me in on the story. I had bad luck finding any posts about it.

Not that I know of. I'm sure he's aware of the board's existence, because he posted a few times long ago, but I don't think he pays any attention to it now. Or if he does, he doesn't maintain an account in which he is openly the proprietor of CP.

If I'm wrong, and he's reading this, I hope he'll PM me with any problems with what I'm writing.

Salem's Lot is also the most confusing book, bibliographically speaking, as well as the one with the most "drama" (i.e., further comments and private sales). But I'm sticking to what I can personally verify and what's publicly available, and the first books are the definitely the ones with the most unknowns. Things start off a little murky, then begin to clear up, and eventually are pretty transparent. In this vein, I'm really counting on other folks to police me if I'm wrong! This all adds to the collective knowledge about Centipede Press, which I'm hoping to both maintain and advance with this thread.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    If you are keeping track of Stigmata books - I too have one of those "20 copy" deluxe versions with the signature page of 10 signatures. Lovely book. I actually got mine a few years back. I asked Jerad if he had any more signed copies and he actually had 1 more with all of the signatures...cannot remember how much he charged me at the time - but it wasn't much at all - maybe even the original issue price.
    If you could check and see if your sigs are different from the ones I posted, that would be much appreciated!
    my sig sheet is the same as the one you have above with the 10 signatures
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    If you could check and see if your sigs are different from the ones I posted, that would be much appreciated!
    my sig sheet is the same as the one you have above with the 10 signatures
    Good to know, thank you! I was only speculating on a third state signature sheet based on the fact that I know there are at least two and couldn't rule it out. I'm thinking it's less likely now.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

And here is another picture from my folder, I have no idea when or where it’s from. This is the red and black version, and next to it is another greenish version – can anyone confirm that this is a rebind? [Also, if this is a picture of your collection and you’d rather me not show it, contact me and I’ll take it down. I have a folder of random pictures that I can’t attribute that I got from browsing forums and google and while I want this thread to be as complete as possible, I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.]

I don’t think anyone answered this question but it’s a pic from Bob’s collection. The rebound copy on the left is Stu's prototype I think.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    And here is another picture from my folder, I have no idea when or where it’s from. This is the red and black version, and next to it is another greenish version – can anyone confirm that this is a rebind? [Also, if this is a picture of your collection and you’d rather me not show it, contact me and I’ll take it down. I have a folder of random pictures that I can’t attribute that I got from browsing forums and google and while I want this thread to be as complete as possible, I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.]

I don’t think anyone answered this question but it’s a pic from Bob’s collection. The rebound copy on the left is Stu's prototype I think.
    Should other folks pics be posted without their permission? Especially when they weren't originally credited and such? Just me but this whole thread seems a bit off. Maybe more references noted and sources identified? Just asking is all..................
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Great thread lotuz!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Should other folks pics be posted without their permission? Especially when they weren't originally credited and such? Just me but this whole thread seems a bit off. Maybe more references noted and sources identified? Just asking is all..................

There are numerous pics of Jackson's 'Salem's Lot editions in several threads here on the site. All were used with his permission.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Does anyone know who were the original two owners of the goatskin version with clasps? I think Jerad kept one and sold it via this forum a number of years ago, but I’m not sure who got the other. Bob? Surely that’s the rarest King book, having fewer copies than even a 1/1 Salem’s Lot (not counting prototypes)?

And speaking of prototypes, here are some pictures of Jerad’s prototype version and the letter he received from King. I’m pretty sure I got these off of Amazon so it might be out there in the world as well. Let me know if you know where it is! [Or again, if you are the owner and want me to take them down.]

If anyone has any more pictures to share, of any states, please do!

UPDATE: I was going through my CP folders and found a document containing a correspondence from 2008 between Jerad and a collector who later publicly posted it:

The deluxe leather of Salem's Lot includes a couple goodies. The book is bound in full leather with raised bands on the spine and brass clasps to keep the book closed. It has very gorgeous endsheets and has a special imitation page, different from every other edition, that was signed by King, Uelsmann, and four binders. It comes in a very heavy red-cloth bound traycase.

The book also comes with a book of interviews with Stephen King. I did a handful of copies of this book, which was originally supposed to ship with the original Centipede Press edition of Salem's Lot, but that never happened. Another extra is the prospectus of The Shining, a nice hardcover book detailing the specifics of the proposed Centipede Press edition of The Shining, written to Mr King, with original artwork by JK Potter. It is signed by JK and myself.

[redacted]

The asking price is $12,000. [redacted] The binder also donated $1,000 to King's favorite charity in order to help get the signature page. [redacted]
    In this same folder I have pictures of the prospectus for The Shining. I want to stress that all photos that I didn't take myself will be properly vetted and attributed, and for those pictures that I literally got from many years of google image searches I will post but will ask for attribution and take down if requested.
    I think there still may be some confusion on the 2/2 clasped edition and the $12,000 deluxe leather package. Back in summer of 2008 Jared travelled to Bob Jackson's home to photograph some of Bob's artwork for Knowing Darkness. During that trip he showed the 2/2 clasped edition to Bob but he didn't purchase the book. It was then shipped to me for consideration but I elected not to purchase as well due to the fact that the block used was from the limited edition, not the deluxe, that utilized the Saunders Waterford paper and which helped to make it such an incredible book. The asking price at that time was $7500. It was a very unique item and I appreciated the opportunity to evaluate it.
    As for the $12,000 package, that was the deluxe edition (not sure if signed), not one of the clasped versions, along with all of the goodies mentioned. The value added attraction there was the Shining proposal which helped bump the asking price as I believe the deluxe SL was valued around $7000-8000 at that time.
    Since the clasped 2/2 version didn't surface until nearly four years after official publication of the CP 'Salem's Lot I'm not sure is can be considered an official state. Ultimately it is a custom bound block similar to Stu's and any other custom CP 'Salem's Lot block and probably should be treated the same.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

There are numerous pics of Jackson's 'Salem's Lot editions in several threads here on the site. All were used with his permission.
    Yeah, okay but then didn't he delete them all when he left thereby rescinding any permissions he may have given? Again, just asking.....
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, okay but then didn't he delete them all when he left thereby rescinding any permissions he may have given? Again, just asking.....
    Bill, as is often the case, you are mistaken. Bob deleted the links to his pictures through whatever image hosting service he used. Images that he granted permission to use for the wiki, and for certain threads are hosted here on our servers.

BTW, Bob Jackson is a big boy, and he doesn't need you to be his Copyright attorney.

Now, back on topic.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill, as is often the case, you are mistaken. Bob deleted the links to his pictures through whatever image hosting service he used. Images that he granted permission to use for the wiki, and for certain threads are hosted here on our servers.

BTW, Bob Jackson is a big boy, and he doesn't need you to be his Copyright attorney.

Now, back on topic.

Well, what crawled up your vagina? It was a simple question.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Infraction given.
    Back on topic please.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Infraction given.
    Back on topic please.
    Vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Hi all,

One quick note today, and one response to a previous comment.

Note: RF made me aware of an entire thread dedicated to custom bound editions of Salem's Lot, which contains way more information and lots of pictures and is in general superior to my comments on the matter. As I noted in the thread, I consider the custom bound editions non-canonical and I didn't include them in the bibliography that I am building, but I know it's an important book and wanted to reference them. I have updated my original post to link to that thread, it is definitely the better place to talk about rebinds.

And, related to rebinds, a comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I think there still may be some confusion on the 2/2 clasped edition and the $12,000 deluxe leather package. Back in summer of 2008 Jared travelled to Bob Jackson's home to photograph some of Bob's artwork for Knowing Darkness. During that trip he showed the 2/2 clasped edition to Bob but he didn't purchase the book. It was then shipped to me for consideration but I elected not to purchase as well due to the fact that the block used was from the limited edition, not the deluxe, that utilized the Saunders Waterford paper and which helped to make it such an incredible book. The asking price at that time was $7500. It was a very unique item and I appreciated the opportunity to evaluate it.

As for the $12,000 package, that was the deluxe edition (not sure if signed), not one of the clasped versions, along with all of the goodies mentioned. The value added attraction there was the Shining proposal which helped bump the asking price as I believe the deluxe SL was valued around $7000-8000 at that time. Since the clasped 2/2 version didn't surface until nearly four years after official publication of the CP 'Salem's Lot I'm not sure is can be considered an official state. Ultimately it is a custom bound block similar to Stu's and any other custom CP 'Salem's Lot block and probably should be treated the same.
    Thank you for joining the thread, and I hope you'll stay!

I do however, respectfully disagree that this is a rebound and will continue to rank it as an ultra-deluxe limited edition in the bibliography. I have a couple of small reasons for this, and a big one. The small reasons have to do with the timing - although Jerad first shopped his copy of the book around in 2008, the book was produced prior to that, being finished possibly as early as 2006, maybe even sooner. Given the enormous amount of effort that went into the book, from multiple craftsmen around the US, I don't think the time difference is that great. It's not unusual for a lettered edition to follow months or more after a numbered edition, so I'm willing to allow some grace in the production time for a book of this stature. But that's just my opinion.

My bigger reason for designating it as a limited edition, is because Jerad said so, and gave it a limitation page. Unlike my franken-copy, which is signed on the title page, or other rebound copies that may have been signed later, the ultra-deluxe goat skin copy has its own limitation page that was produced for, signed, and bound into the book. I have permission from the owner to share the following picture in this thread only, which gives folks a chance to see a clearer version of the limitation page than is available in The Catalog:

Jerad chose to designate the books "the first of two" and "the second of two", which I consider to be limitation numbers, and thus include as official S/L editions in the bibliography. Believe me, as a Centipede Press wanna-be completist, it pains me that there is a limited state that I will never own. But alas, it is thus.

I expected that this post would generate a lot of discussion, being one of the most important books in the Stephen King S/L canon, and I hope that everyone will stick around to see what's next!

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

He definitely used to be..although i dont think he's been around in quite a long time

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the items you didn't mention (unless I missed it) was the issuance of a number of unbound page blocks. I still own one of them but I have no idea how many were issued. I know a number of the were rebound beautifully, though. Just thought I'd mention them. Also, any idea how many packets of pictures were issued?

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Infraction given.
    Back on topic please.
    Vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina
    That is the response I expected.....from a petulant child trying to show they can offend by saying something they hope is shocking.
    I think you need to take a break from the site. Don't come back until you can control youself.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Hi all,

One quick note today, and one response to a previous comment.

Note: RF made me aware of an entire thread dedicated to custom bound editions of Salem's Lot, which contains way more information and lots of pictures and is in general superior to my comments on the matter. As I noted in the thread, I consider the custom bound editions non-canonical and I didn't include them in the bibliography that I am building, but I know it's an important book and wanted to reference them. I have updated my original post to link to that thread, it is definitely the better place to talk about rebinds.

And, related to rebinds, a comment:

As for the $12,000 package, that was the deluxe edition (not sure if signed), not one of the clasped versions, along with all of the goodies mentioned. The value added attraction there was the Shining proposal which helped bump the asking price as I believe the deluxe SL was valued around $7000-8000 at that time. Since the clasped 2/2 version didn't surface until nearly four years after official publication of the CP 'Salem's Lot I'm not sure is can be considered an official state. Ultimately it is a custom bound block similar to Stu's and any other custom CP 'Salem's Lot block and probably should be treated the same.
    Thank you for joining the thread, and I hope you'll stay!

I do however, respectfully disagree that this is a rebound and will continue to rank it as an ultra-deluxe limited edition in the bibliography. I have a couple of small reasons for this, and a big one. The small reasons have to do with the timing - although Jerad first shopped his copy of the book around in 2008, the book was produced prior to that, being finished possibly as early as 2006, maybe even sooner. Given the enormous amount of effort that went into the book, from multiple craftsmen around the US, I don't think the time difference is that great. It's not unusual for a lettered edition to follow months or more after a numbered edition, so I'm willing to allow some grace in the production time for a book of this stature. But that's just my opinion.

My bigger reason for designating it as a limited edition, is because Jerad said so, and gave it a limitation page. Unlike my franken-copy, which is signed on the title page, or other rebound copies that may have been signed later, the ultra-deluxe goat skin copy has its own limitation page that was produced for, signed, and bound into the book. I have permission from the owner to share the following picture in this thread only, which gives folks a chance to see a clearer version of the limitation page than is available in The Catalog:

Jerad chose to designate the books "the first of two" and "the second of two", which I consider to be limitation numbers, and thus include as official S/L editions in the bibliography. Believe me, as a Centipede Press wanna-be completist, it pains me that there is a limited state that I will never own. But alas, it is thus.

I expected that this post would generate a lot of discussion, being one of the most important books in the Stephen King S/L canon, and I hope that everyone will stick around to see what's next!

Whichever designation you prefer is OK but you might want to reconsider the issue price. The clasped version by itself was initially offered at $7500. If one was purchased as part of a package for $12,000 it wouldn't be accurate to assign the entire total to just the clasped version.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    One of the items you didn't mention (unless I missed it) was the issuance of a number of unbound page blocks. I still own one of them but I have no idea how many were issued. I know a number of the were rebound beautifully, though. Just thought I'd mention them. Also, any idea how many packets of pictures were issued?

John
    I don't know how many unbound page blocks were issued but I know that this happened for several books and will try to note it when applicable! I also don't know how many packets of pictures were issued. If anyone has this info I will include it as supplementary information in the original post.

Regarding the page blocks this is the dedicated Custom Bound Salem's Lot thread that puts my speculation here to shame. Worth checking out, if you haven't!

Whichever designation you prefer is OK but you might want to reconsider the issue price. The clasped version by itself was initially offered at $7500. If one was purchased as part of a package for $12,000 it wouldn't be accurate to assign the entire total to just the clasped version.
    Good point!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

all I can say is WOW!

i really love Centipede Press and i really love this thread!

thanks for the enthusiasm for the imprint and for sharing your research. i look forward to reading and contributing to this thread.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Country
    Country Flag

Hi all!

Happy Labor Day (for those in the US)! Happy September 3, rest of the world!

Next up in our ongoing bibliography of Centipede Press is:

Two-Handed Engine
    Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore
    Frontispiece by Richard Powers
    Introduction by David Curtis (Ed.)

3.a Cloth binding with slipcase: 215 or 300 - $225 (200 or 300 in black numbers), NFS (15 or 85 in red numbers)
    3.b.i Trade hardcover with dust jacket: 1000+ - unknown price
    3.b.ii Trade hardcover with dust jacket, BCE/BOMC: unknown quantity - unknown price

Published as Centipede Press; 2005
    Original price: $225/unknown/unknown

The third book published by Centipede Press was a compilation of stories written by the husband and wife team of Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore. They met because they were both devotees of Lovecraft and you can read more on Wikipedia about them if you want.

The book itself has two states, and is the only CP book (to my knowledge) to have a trade hardcover state, although the following two years (2006 and 2007) saw the release of multiple Millipede Press books, which were generally released with trade paperback versions.

The limited state of Two-Handed Engine is quarter bound with black cloth on the spine and very nice red cloth on the boards. The slipcase is black cloth with an inset frontispiece. You can see that my copy has some slight rubbing on the edges of the frontispiece (which for most CP books is a small print with a backed adhesive placed in an indentation). Eventually I’d like to upgrade, but this is one of the rarer non-deluxe titles, having come up for public sale only twice in the last 5 years (that I’m aware of) – one on eBay in 2016 that was snatched up via BIN very quickly, and the other through a bookseller in the US that had acquired a sizable collection from a now-deceased collector and contributor to weird fiction (this copy).

You’ll notice that the slipcase has the plain gray cardboard interior – future slipcases have black cardboard or cloth interiors.

The spine is stamped in gold, and unlike many future volumes has all the text at the top. There are a number of different ways to display spine text, and this is more similar to the later text on the dustjackets, in terms of spacing, compared to the next few dozen releases, which were primarily also metallic spine printing stamped on black cloth. Also, at this point, there were no logos placed on the spine.

This book is not signed, and as you may be able to tell from the bibliographical information, there is a question about how many limited edition copies were produced, and how many were black vs. red. This is because the limitation page itself can’t quite make up its mind:

So there are 215, of which 200 are for sale. But copies 1-300 are numbered in black and the rest in red.

I think that the 1-300 is probably a typo that is supposed to say “1-200”. And the two black numbers I have seen bear this out (as both have been under 200). I’d be really interested to hear if anyone owns or has seen a black number over 200.

Also, this is the last book that was hand-numbered one of the few remaining books that were hand-numbered! Yes, to my knowledge there are only two hand-numbered books: Salem’s Lot and Two-Handed Engine very few remaining hand-numbered books. Some subsequent editions do retain a black vs. red distinction for the printed numbers, but they tend to hold to a pattern that we’ll observe and discuss as we move forward.

The endpapers on this book mark the debut of a nice textured black paper that has been continued to be used in a good number of other Centipede Press books throughout the years. To some extent it’s the “default” endpaper – in many editions there are fancier or differently patterned endpapers that mirror some other aspect of the design or story, or are just pretty looking – but there are almost never plain endpapers used after Stigmata (which are plain red and not noteworthy and thus not shown in that post). This swirly textured black endpaper is probably the most common of them, though I haven’t sat down and made a count of all the different types of endpapers, so we’ll see if this is borne out as we continue.

This was also the only CP book to my knowledge that also had a trade hardcover release. There have been many subsequent books that have had a non-signed state, which is in effect identical to the signed state but without the limitation page. But this book has a standard trade hardcover binding and a dustjacket (something that CP would not do again for a number of years). It’s a totally typical non-limited hardcover book.

Next up is one of the rarer and more mysterious CP titles…

Spoiler:
    Chimera I

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A VERSION OF THIS BOOK THAT I DIDN'T POST PICTURES OF OR THAT I'M NOT AWARE OF, PLEASE POST IT HERE AND/OR PM ME SO THAT I CAN UPDATE THE BIBLIOGRAPHY. I WON'T MENTION YOUR NAME OR PUBLICLY POST YOUR PICTURES (WHICH ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED) WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. THANK YOU!!

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Great job with this thread, Lotuz. An enjoyable read, without a doubt.
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Great job with this thread, Lotuz. An enjoyable read, without a doubt.
    +1
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast