Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General Podcast Discussion

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Mae, drop whatever you're listening to and listen to season 2 of In the Dark! And it's perfect timing because the Supreme Court agreed to look at his case, and oral arguments will begin next week. It's such a crazy story, and shows how much injustice there is in our judicial system. Whether or not someone's guilty or innocent, they should get a fair trial. And I also don't understand how the same DA is allowed to stay on the case over these 20 something years.
    So I just binged this, including all the update episodes. Astonishing case. And as with Season 1, great production and storytelling. The fact that it’s possible Curtis might be tried for a SEVENTH time is mind-blowing. Can’t wait for the new episodes and Season 3.

Also started Accused, about a case in Ohio from 1978. The only suspect in that case was acquitted and since then the case was never investigated further. Highly recommended.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So glad you enjoyed it. I think what also makes that season so good, is that she actually moved down to Mississippi for a whole year to investigate and research it. I just came across this series on Starz called The Wrong Man. They did two episodes on the Flowers case. It was ok, but they didn't go into as much detail as the podcast does. Also they made the guy who found the gun seem unreliable, whereas he seemed much more credible in the podcast.

There are a few things which really infuriate me concerning this case. The fact that his conviction has been vacated multiple times due to prosecutorial misconduct, yet that same DA is able to prosecute him over and over again. The fact that the judge arrested a juror that didn't go along with the majority. The racial bias in picking the jurors multiple times. And the biggest frustration for me is the deals the prosecutor kept cutting with that other guy in return for him to testify against Curtis. That guy should have been locked up long ago. And now people have lost their lives because he wasn't. And to top it off he's pretty much sitting pretty in jail, having a grand old time while Curtis is locked up on death row, with no human contact and minimal sunlight. It's so messed up.

I'll check out Accused when I get the chance
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great new episode of Trump Inc. Really contextualizes a lot about the proposed Moscow tower. Highly recommended! Awesome production as always by WNYC.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Mae, not sure if you've seen this yet, but Bob just announced that he's been working on a show about the West Memphis Three, and that's why he's been traveling so much. Can not wait for this!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/oxy...es-1203207564/

Country
    Country Flag

Oh wow, no I had no idea. I'm sure he'll talk about it on the next episode. But this sounds like a TV version of the WM3 season, or am I wrong? I guess toward the end of the series they'll have new evidence and such?

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I know you're a busy bee, but did you ever go back and listen to Bob's other seasons?

I'm hoping be goes into more detail about what the show will be like. Hopefully it's a quick summery and then he gets into some new investigations. He also said that season 5 of T&J will come back once the show starts. I think he posted it on twitter as well as fb, so maybe you can google his twitter feed to see it.

And no not yet. I went on an audio book kick for a bit, but I should go back now and listen to some of them while I have some time.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Crime podcast To Live and Die in LA is very cool so far. Nice twists and turns and very nice production value.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

i love a few Radio Free Skaro, one about doctor who, Jay and Silent Bob getting old i think is the name? it's one of Kevin smith's podcast that he does with Jason Mewes, WTF aka what the fuck? Raidiodrome and a couple others as well

Has anyone listened to Mick Garris's podcast Post Mortem? I listened to the recent episode he did with King and then have been going back and listening to some others. There's some fascinating interviews on there.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Has anyone listened to Mick Garris's podcast Post Mortem? I listened to the recent episode he did with King and then have been going back and listening to some others. There's some fascinating interviews on there.
    Good stuff right! John Carpenter, Sean S. Cunningham, Rob Zombie, John Landis, A Wes Craven tribute with Robert Englund, Eli Roth, Walter Hill! Nuff Said!

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

i have the Mick Garris on my ipod to listen to but i haven't done that yet, though i have seen his channel on you tube and he's i think a damn good interviewer

Mae, I did it. 7 episodes into season 2 of T&J. The Kenny Snow case seems a bit confusing at the moment, although I just got to the point where it's revealed that the police possibly got someone to stand in for the real used car dealer in court. If that's actually true that's one of the most insane things I've ever heard. Also can't wait to hear about Ed Ates case.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh I'm so excited for you, Heather, it's quite a case. Although, I suppose, it's wrong to be excited in a case like this, or about true crime in general. So yes, Season 2 is a long season and the initial dozen or so episodes will seem confusing (because they are) and slow, but trust me, just stick with it. Once they get into Ed, which should be soon, the case will change (it's still the same season). And Bob just released an update so please skip that one until you finish all of Season 2. Oh and that stand-in. It's true.

I almost listened to the new episode, but since I'm not familiar with his case I skipped it and that's what prompted me to start at the beginning.

The stand in really is true? I was really hoping it wasn't. That's pretty frightening. I hope the department got into serious trouble for that.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh you know they didn’t.

Country
    Country Flag

Just started this amazing podcast, it's not new but new to me. It's called Caliphate and it's pretty disturbing, but also very informative and interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...allimachi.html

Highly recommended! Heather, I hope you can check it out.

So I'm up to episode 32 in season 2 of T&J. This season has been a bit of a jumble, with all the cases he's covering, so I'm glad that it's shifted mainly to Ed Ates. I feel like maybe 1 case is better to focus on instead of jumping around between a few different ones. Although I get why he did that. I had a bunch of questions for you about Kenny Snow and what happened there, but then I think it was on the recent friday follow-up that I listened to today where he discussed that he had to cut ties with Kenny if he took on Ed's case, and also that unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done for Kenny. It really is insane that he got as much time as he did for those crimes, compared to other crimes that are a million times worse, and those men getting way less time. There's definitely something messed up with the system. Also that's a shame that they can't pursue the stand-in because that guy had a stroke. There really should be repercussions for their actions.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the guy who had a stroke is unfortunate but Bob has him on the record saying he never even went to court. The whole season is definitely a jumble but once Bob focuses on Ed it gets a lot more streamlined. The following season is much shorter but no less fascinating.

Mae, I finished all the Ed Ates episodes, even the most recent one with the DNA findings. I'm so glad Bob decided to take on Kenny Snow's case otherwise Ed would still be sitting in jail with no one. It's amazing that they were able to get him out. I also hope they can find the real killer and put them to justice and fully clear Ed's name. It's also really sad to think that there's probably many more people like him sitting in jail that are innocent. I also found it heartbreaking that the family had in a sense moved on, I get it, it can't be easy but it's still so sad.

Do you think Bob was on to something with his theory of the killer? It makes sense, and I wonder if that's who it is. I at least hope they can obtain DNA from that person to test.

Country
    Country Flag

It's been while since I listened to the second season so I don't recall all the details, but if it's Leonard then it's very possible. It sounded like on one of the recent follow-ups that Bob was hinting that there may be new evidence or information available. So we'll see.

The whole justice system makes me sad, and this is just one case. There are thousands more like it.

The Jesse Eldridge case is very fascinating too, the next season.

Bob thinks
    Spoiler:
    it was Leonard's live in girlfriend. That she went over there and caught them in the act, and freaked out and went after Elnora. There were scratch marks on her back and a nail polish chip in her butt, which I think led him to thinking it was a female that attacked her. They wouldn't say on the DNA update episode if they knew the sex of this unknown profile, so it seems very possible that it could be female. And if that's the case then that theory makes a lot of sense. I'm confused as to why the detectives put blinders on and didn't investigate him or his girlfriend more. Especially since the few things they tested didn't connect Ed to the crime scene.
    I just hope they finally find the real killer and put that person behind bars.

Country
    Country Flag

AH yes, now I remember! Yup, definitely plausible. And cases like this or Sandra's it's these detectives who don't do any damn detecting...

It's so sad. The victims don't get justice, the victim's family doesn't get justice, and an innocent person gets locked up. I wish in cases like this one where there is actual misconduct by the investigators or DA's that there were some sort of repercussions for their actions.

Country
    Country Flag

In a fair society there should be repercussions but the worst they'll get is a slap on the wrist. States do pay for wrongful convictions but I believe prosecutors should also be held personally liable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast