Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Duma Key

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    So was King on the Today show this morning. I taped it, and just forwarded thru the whole show and no King. Did I just miss it somehow?
    Because of other breaking news, King's interview didn't air this past weekend. It will be on next weekend instead.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bev--I am so excited that I don't have to work this next Saturday
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    So was King on the Today show this morning. I taped it, and just forwarded thru the whole show and no King. Did I just miss it somehow?
    Because of other breaking news, King's interview didn't air this past weekend. It will be on next weekend instead.
    Thanks, I was wondering what happened. I scanned through and didn't see the interview and figured there must have been a time restraint.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone record it, please?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

Default Duma Key: A half-assed review. . .

I finished the book at 4 this morning. When I sat down to resume reading around midnight, with about 200 pages to go, I wasn't expecting to finish it; I figured I'd read until roughly 2 AM then go to sleep, then finish it the next night. But I forgot how it can be when a great King novel gets to the shit-hitting-the-fan point, roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the book, and starts running for the finish at full speed; it's just not possible to put the book down until it's all over.

This one was great right from the beginning, a perfect example of what makes King's work unique and interesting. He spends the first third of the book introducing us to people, getting us to like them, care for and empathise with them, the second third establishing the situation and creating a deep sense of dread, and the last third knocking the shit out of everyone who's made it this far. By the end, we've suffered losses and been put through the ringer, right along with the surviving characters, but it has all been worth it. We're not sorry we've met these people- not even the ones who were lost in particularly dreadful ways, and the trip we've taken with them has been worth the price (however you choose to calculate it: the financial cost of the book, the time it took reading it, the emotional consequences of getting involved with the story and the people in it, all of the above). Some of the particulars are already a little vague in my memory, but I can well recall the broad strokes and vivid colours (all that red in particular); those will stay with me for quite a while. As this is a website already devoted to the work of Stephen King, I see no point in summarising the plot; this has already been done here. Also no spoilers; those of you who haven't read it ought to do so for yourselves. My earlier remark was accurate: this has been King's best single novel since the end of the Dark Tower. So take this particularly strange trip to Florida for yourselves, and watch out for the native wildlife. . .
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

Gunslinger Apprentice Ryan is on a distinguished road Ryan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished the Duma Key over the weekend. And, I'm sure, like everyone else who's finished reading it could not put it down through the last 1/4 of the book.
    I suppose the crazy chick with the 3rd eye and the way she came to life in his pocket biting him and the descriptive nature of his phantom arm was SK all the way. But, other than that I felt that it could have been written by anyone.... well not anyone but In all honesty it wouldn't suprise me at all in the least if he made an announcement saying that he supervised the publication and edited the story himself while written by another.
    Constant Reader

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. - SK

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    But, other than that I felt that it could have been written by anyone.... well not anyone but In all honesty it wouldn't suprise me at all in the least if he made an announcement saying that he supervised the publication and edited the story himself while written by another.
    I seriously doubt King would do that.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    But, other than that I felt that it could have been written by anyone
    Really, I'm surprised to hear you say that. I definately felt King throughout the whole story.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

At the risk of being a bit confrontational, plagiarism, and "ghost writing" are serious accusations-particularly to King. He has addressed the plagiarism aspect on several occasions.
    Such an accusation is never to be taken lightly. To a writer it falls just short of being accused of pedophilia or rape.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    At the risk of being a bit confrontational, plagiarism, and "ghost writing" are serious accusations-particularly to King. He has addressed the plagiarism aspect on several occasions.
    Such an accusation is never to be taken lightly. To a writer it falls just short of being accused of pedophilia or rape.
    Drama Drama Drama....
    Plagirarism... No, Ghost Writing... plausable in this case perhaps.
    Also that Heather says - "I definately felt King throughout the whole story." I think I've already stated my thoughts on that.

Maybe it's my minor disapointment in the book as a whole. I'm thinking this may be the case. You see, I've just finished the DT series again and I may be feeling a bit 'let down' in the lack of fullness to the story. IMO
    I'll likely give it another read once my brain decompresses a bit from the DT.
    Certainly I've ment no Accusation toward King.... or whoever wrote the story (just kidding)...
    Constant Reader

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Ryan--I think calling Jerome's post drama is a bit out there. We don't have any of that on this board and I wouldn't classify his genuine concern and warning in that category.

I think the notion that anyone but King writes (or ghost writes) his books is crazy. I've been in it for years and Duma Key is like all the others in the way it is perfectly King.

I know enough about him to know he would simply stop writing before going that route. Well, I believe that anyway.

Country
    Country Flag

I think comparing accusations of plagiarism, and/or "ghost writing" to accusations of pedophilia or rape is over the top. hence "drama, drama, drama". which I in every way ment light hearted. My humor sometimes doesn't write too good....
    I do however, understand very well the meaning of Morality and Self Worth, and how we all set standards for ourselves to live life in a way we personally believe to be good and true. I do anyway.
    That being said. I apologise for any misconstrued thought feeling or action that may have hurt those in this thread.
    Constant Reader

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Not at all man and I do appreciate the way you have explained your feelings.

On with the show!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I took no offense to the drama comment. All is well.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man are you guys fast readers...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Man are you guys fast readers...
    I likes a good read. And when I gets to page 100 I can't puts it down. The volume consumes me and when I'm not reading it I thinks about it untill I picks it up again.

Hello, my name is Ryan.... And I'm addicted to Stephen King Books.
    Constant Reader

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Ryan. Don't worry, we'll find you a sponsor.

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

*Everyone at the same time*

Hello Ryan!

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everybody, it's nice to know I'm with friends
    Constant Reader

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

welcome Ryan. you are among fellow addicts here.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    welcome Ryan. you are among fellow addicts here.
    Well then,
    among Friends and fellow travellers on the path of the beam. I am one Lucky Ducky
    I love this website. It's such a great way to kill time at work when I'm not buried in paperwork. I Heart Lazy Mondays.
    Constant Reader

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

btw Ryan, your avatar is cool as hell!

Country
    Country Flag

It's very funky monkey. It was a swirling gif.... very trippy. I have it as a active desktop item along side of my swirling Grey Cup
    Constant Reader

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10