Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Duma Key

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Duma Key

Duma Key
    A Novel
    U.S. release date: January 22, 2008

Duma Key: A Novel
    by Stephen King

Coming in January (2008 )!

Edgar Freemantle is a regular guy, a construction worker who suffers a terrible accident—he loses an arm, sustains head injuries, and is not expected to live... but he does live, emerging from his coma as a very changed man.

Here is how King described the novel in his own words during his long interview with Lilja of Lilja's Library:

"It's about a construction worker who is involved in a terrible accident... he's hurt very badly and loses an arm, sustains head injuries and is not expected to live but he does and he comes out of a coma and because of the head injuries he has uncontrollable rages and memory lapses.

It's very difficult and his wife divorces him so he decides he's going to move to Florida but he's also thinking about suicide just because of his pain and because he doesn’t like being angry all the time and this psychiatrist kind of talks him out of it and one of the things he says is, "Is there anything that you do that you can use as a kind of buffer against this depression? Is there any kind of new life for you besides working on buildings?" and this guy says, "I used to draw, I used to paint a little bit" and the (psychiatrist) says, "Well, try that" and he discovers that, after this injury, that he is really a very talented painter...

...and he moves to Florida and he starts to paint these pictures and then strange things start to happen with the pictures.

They have this power so that sometimes if he paints things into the world they kind of appear and if he paints things out they disappear, including people.

And there is something going on, on this island, this Duma Key that is actually amping that talent up and making it stronger because there is something wrong there.

That's the real basis of the story."
    Amazon link

It makes me happy that there will be 2 new books coming out...that plus the comic and the movie 1408 equals
    I lurk, therefore I am.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for finding this Erin, its great.

Lots of fun new King stuff to see and do.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I am so looking forward to this story, as I live in Florida
    and it is set here. Besides it SK!!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

I haven't been this excited since Peter got that hoverboard.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This sounds like a great premise, I am looking forward to seeing SK flesh it out.

The older I get the more I wonder about him and these worlds. They show up so often, I think he really believes it. Which is cool as shit because I do to.

Reality is so thin.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ooh, sounds like Patrick Danville meets LOST. I dig it.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ooooh, sounds like it could potentially be another DT connection book...however small.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched a fascinating doco over here called "Painting the Mind", about exactly what Duma Key is about (minus the Danville powers, of course).

About two men in their 50s or so who suffer head injuries in an accident and awake with compulsions to draw and paint (aswell as other mood and personality changes) - not that they are terribly good to begin with but the compulsion drives them to draw and paint and create art at almost every waking moment and as the adage goes, practice makes perfect.

One of them had awakened photographic memories of his childhood town in Italy (which he could now paint with incredible detail), but the funny thing is he could only see the memory in his mind if he physically turned his body and faced a specific direction.

Fascinating stuff.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely looking forward to this.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

By the way, Memory, the short story originally published in Tin House magazine that was the initial germ of an idea for Duma Key, will be included in the back of Blaze. At least it's in the review copies.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Ooh, sounds like Patrick Danville meets LOST. I dig it.
    That's exactly what I thought! I'm so excited that King is doing so much lately!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    By the way, Memory, the short story originally published in Tin House magazine that was the initial germ of an idea for Duma Key, will be included in the back of Blaze. At least it's in the review copies.
    Thanks Bev, I knew I had heard of this character somewhere. Now I remember reading it in Tin House, I also remember thinking the short story was very depressing. Good but depressing.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

According to Bev Vincent:
    The official U.S. release date: January 22, 2008.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought of Patrick Danville too. Theres a few unfinished tales from DT that I've always been curious about...Patrick, Ted, Dinky...

However, this sounds damn cool all by itself

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

According to liljas library, this-subject to revision, is the cover for Duma Key:

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Woohoo, I am going to move that to the first post so it shows up on the news page.

Thanks for the info Jerome

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like a good cover. After the great combo of the cover and actual book of the hardcover Lisey's Story, it'll be hard to live up to the artwork standards set.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Color cover for Duma Key:

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow!! That's beautiful, love the color.

I should update our news page with that.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that cover is beautiful!

I love the painter's canvas in lefthand corner, with stuff coming out. Isn't that from Salvador Dali'?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

check out our current news page with the new image. Its hot as hell.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Any idea on who the artist is?

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Possibly Mark Stutzman. He has done most of the recent covers for King books.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

If your curious about a preview, there is a chapter exert at the end of Blaze.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

And its really cool!!

I had no idea. But it seems like the read is going to have a whole bunch to do with accident and recovery. Probably cathartic for King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast