Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Blaze By Richard Bachman

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Interesting review. I've read the book, so there was nothing surprising in it, but I do find it interesting to note that the reviewer says the book has the "swampy, pulpy feel" of the first four Richard Bachman books. I've never seen those terms for these books before.

John
    It didn't feel anything like a Bachman book to me. I loved it, but it just seemed more like King than Bachman.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I got it for Fathers Day and its in line right after Lisey's Story.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler chrismart83 is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed it. i found it a quick read and i found blaze to be a great character.
    I also ejoyed the snippet from Duma key.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't wait to get to it.

Welcome to the site chris
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am about to start this novel. I'm pretty pumped about it, it's the first new King I've read in a few months.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i was gonna start reading it tonight but i had lots to do and now i'm so tired, reading anything would make my eyes dry up and fall out so i'm gonna have to wait for tomorrow. i'm so excited about having it

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

January, 2008. I am SO looking forward to getting a proof of this book! The proofs should be out sometime in November or December of this year. And yes, I read the proofs!

John

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    January, 2008. I am SO looking forward to getting a proof of this book! The proofs should be out sometime in November or December of this year. And yes, I read the proofs!

John
    I would too! If it was available to me for reading...

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished it last night. It was a good, short read. It didn't feel as "Bachmanish" as I thought it would. It was more "Kingish", especially in the way he fleshed out the main character (who really is loveable, despite his sorted past and present).

I really wonder what his fascination with giant-sized, dumb, fumbling, pathetic men is.

Nothing shocking about this book, most people could guess the ending from the first chapter, but it's really well-written and easy to read, King/Bachman doesn't get you lost in the details like in some of his more recent books.

I wonder how many more of these old gems he has lying around waiting to be published?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, there are at least two full novels; Sword In The Darkness and The Aftermath.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read Blaze last night, and enjoyed it. It was a breezy, read in a single sitting kind of book. It isn't one of his books that I'm likely to re-read anytime soon, likely it will just occupy a spot on one of my bookshelves, but it managed to keep me entertained on my read through, so mission accomplished. I will have to agree with what SK said in his foreword on this book, that the flashbacks were better than the front-story. I just enjoyed the flashbacks more. I also enjoyed the short story Memory included at the end as an appetizer for Duma Key. I really like the introduction we were given to Edgar Freemantle, and am looking forward to the full novel.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sah-weeeet.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I read the book the last two days while on vacation.
    It was heart wrenching. Though described as melodramatic, I would say it was plain depressing and sad, It tugged at my heartstrings, and as they say-it tugged hard.
    Uncomplicated and straightforward it was a Bachman book all the way.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked this book.

You're right RF, it was depressing. It was depressing because King has an amazing talent in making you fall in love with his characters, no matter how flawed they are.

All in all it was a simple book. "Uncomplicated" as you say. Allowed the reader to feel more than think.

As dissappointed as I have been by the last of books pinned King, this one made me long for his alter ego to re-emerge with something new.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, great book hands down,

Again you feel sorry and connected to a convict

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The paperback version of Blaze is to be released in January 2008.
    Here is the cover.
    I hate it. I have numerous nitpicks with it.
    A couple
    • Is Blaze rubbed from the inside? If so great, if not, the person outside writes in mirror form.
    • Originally the book was set in ~1970. King updated it, so why is the car a '67 or earlier (wing vent windows)
    I know, I know, who cares, but those are my observations.

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll be gettin' it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The paperback version of Blaze is to be released in January 2008.
    Here is the cover.
    I hate it. I have numerous nitpicks with it.
    A couple
    • Is Blaze rubbed from the inside? If so great, if not, the person outside writes in mirror form.
    • Originally the book was set in ~1970. King updated it, so why is the car a '67 or earlier (wing vent windows)
    I know, I know, who cares, but those are my observations.

<image a couple posts upthread>
    "BLAZE" is written from the outside backward, you can see the hand that did it out there.

I thought in the introduction he still left the time period purposefully vague, but my memory may be faulty. Besides, wing vent windows are cool, man.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Audio excerpt (broadband). Read by Ron McLarty

FYI, paperback release January 22, 2008.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3