Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Outsider series on HBO

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched episode 3 last night. I like Holly a lot, and I'm glad she's in it, but I'm still not enjoying the series as much as I'd like. It seems like it's dragging a bit. And I said it a few posts ago, but the cinematography us just so dark.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    So far it's not doing much for me. Kind of dour overall. I think they made a mistake by getting through the halfway point of the book this early on and making it ten episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    So far it's not doing much for me. Kind of dour overall. I think they made a mistake by getting through the halfway point of the book this early on and making it ten episodes.
    The book is only 560 pages long. Terry was killed on page 185 which is barely a quarter of the way through the story. I think the pacing of the show is pretty spot on. They could've maybe padded it a little and had him killed in the 3rd episode but it's hardly the halfway point.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The book is only 560 pages long. Terry was killed on page 185 which is barely a quarter of the way through the story. I think the pacing of the show is pretty spot on. They could've maybe padded it a little and had him killed in the 3rd episode but it's hardly the halfway point.
    Page 185/560 would make it almost exactly the 1/3 point, so it would've happened around the end of episode 3 or the beginning of episode 4. I'm wondering how they're gonna pad out the second half of this story, as it was a slog to get through in book form for me and I'm already getting a bit bored by the show.

Nice to see Ben Mendelsohn in a King adaptation after he rejected the offer to play Pennywise, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I agree, I loved the book up until that point, then the rest was a struggle for me. I watched episode 3 last night but it had a hard time keeping my attention. I enjoyed the first 2 episodes a lot more. I do wish they kept Terry around at least through this episode. It seems like they really rushed to kill off his character, when those aspects of the story were the most intriguing.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post
    Yeah, I feel there is more tension and conflict when Terry is alive, which could've been milked more to build up to the moment of his death and Ralph's guilt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I watched episode 3 last night. I like Holly a lot, and I'm glad she's in it, but I'm still not enjoying the series as much as I'd like. It seems like it's dragging a bit. And I said it a few posts ago, but the cinematography us just so dark.
    I like this, Holly as well though I gotta say from what I recall from the book the character was really more of a combination of the two characters (meaning the Holly from the MM series) I don't want to get censured but, again as I recall she wasn't nearly as handsome as the two actors. lol I suppose a face lift is inevitable for TV!!! lol

The overall tone (darkness) is fitting in my opinion, but I do see your point of view and could understand it. As far as them drawing it out I find that somewhat ironic given that the main complaint with most King works is the length. lol Again, for TV I think they are drawing it out a bit and adding a character or two. Didn't, Bev Vincent say that "If it Bleeds" was purchased as well? In which case they may be looking to make more seasons out of the properties.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just caught up. Last two episodes were pretty good.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just caught up. Last two episodes were pretty good.
    I believe I'm two episodes behind but liking it so far.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Traveler jebeare has a spectacular aura about jebeare has a spectacular aura about

Totally agree on the dragging part. Granted, this wasn't my favorite SK book, but this show is slooooow. As for Holly, I'm not a huge fan of this version. They've made her an eccentric genius rather than the crippling OCD-sufferer that SK wrote in the Hodges trilogy. The actress is doing a great job with what she's been handed, but this just doesn't feel like Holly.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jebeare View Post
    Totally agree on the dragging part. Granted, this wasn't my favorite SK book, but this show is slooooow. As for Holly, I'm not a huge fan of this version. They've made her an eccentric genius rather than the crippling OCD-sufferer that SK wrote in the Hodges trilogy. The actress is doing a great job with what she's been handed, but this just doesn't feel like Holly.
    Yes, they have slowed the plot of the book down, but I still like the pace. I realize that might sound a bit off, but its how I feel. I'm enjoying the show and its overall feel of dread and creepiness. It's building the Cuco up a bit. Also, for those who've not read the book, I think it gives them more time to understand just how creepy and insidious the creature is in all it does. How it really embodies evil in ways that other "Movie Monsters" do not. I don't know just my opinion I suppose, but I'm liking it. I'd like to think that what happened was the producers felt they couldn't do it proper in one season, but only needed another half. HBO then said fuck it draw it out to two full seasons!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We're having some fun now!!!!! We're into the "Endgame" now folks!!! Let's see how they wind it up!!!! The trailer looked promising to me.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All caught up and I'm loving it so far.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think I got about 4 episodes in, and then I just kinda stopped. I'll try to finish it, but I honestly have no motivation too. I enjoyed the first couple of episodes, but then they got to the point in the book that went downhill for me, which is where I lost interest in the show as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I got about 4 episodes in, and then I just kinda stopped. I'll try to finish it, but I honestly have no motivation too. I enjoyed the first couple of episodes, but then they got to the point in the book that went downhill for me, which is where I lost interest in the show as well.
    The first two are really the only good epsidoes in the show so far for me anyways...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thankfully only two more episodes to go!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The first two are really the only good epsidoes in the show so far for me anyways...
    Yeah, I agree with that. I'm still watching but not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Traveler jebeare has a spectacular aura about jebeare has a spectacular aura about

I'm curious where you were when you lost interest. There were two inflection points in The Outsider novel for me. (Quick note, I'm new to the forum, and WAY too lazy to figure out the "SPOILER" rules).

First, when the character whom I honestly thought was the main character took a turn I didn't see coming. Second, when Holly showed up. Both instances led directly to a "What the ____" moment for me. Now, I love me some Stephen King (duh), and I love me some plot twists, too. I wonder if either of my "WTF" moments align with your "I'm out" moment...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I lost interest when
    Spoiler:
    they killed off one of the main characters and then Holly entered. I hated the Mr. Mercedes books and it quickly devolved into one of those.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    I love Holly, but my interest and that gotta-get-to-the-next-page-NOW feeling kind of dropped off after Terry died.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know what it may say about me, but I am thoroughly enjoying the show. I like the slow, dark progress of the plot and I especially like how hard it is to convince most of the characters of the evil presence. I also think that this is one of Kings' moEl Cuoco" is in this story. What heart ache and havoc he creates!!! Nasty bastard is all I got to say!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool episode last night. A set up for what should be an action packed finale. I can't help but keep wondering why they continue to refer to this as a "season", which to me means they intend to make more shows. As it stands the finale should close out the book and rap things up. I'm wondering if anyone has heard any rumors or what not about them continuing this series somehow past the novel?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Without entering the spoilers field, I must say that the story If it Bleeds would be a PERFECT second season of the show. It's very related to The Outsider.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To those who saw the finale...

Spoiler:
    What did you think of the post-credits tease?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

To those who saw the finale...

Spoiler:
    What did you think of the post-credits tease?
    First, I did not read the book but I did enjoy the show. Second, I missed the post credit tease but that's OK.
    I like surprises.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It clearly aims to leave the door open for a second season.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What I learnt is that the last episode had some other scenes that involved more people but these were cut. I'm hoping these are included in the Blu-ray release.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    It clearly aims to leave the door open for a second season.
    I figured but I was wondering what they would do. They seem to be implying a more direct sequel as opposed to just "the continuing adventures of Holly Gibney" which King seems to be doing.

My Collection

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

This has a spoiler of If it Bleeds (not spoiling the end, of course, but the 3rd story's main topic):

SPOILER
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://amazonadviser.com/2020/03/09...-blu-ray-june/
    HBO brought us The Outsider to kick off the year. Now it’s time to add the series to your DVD and Blu-ray collection. Well, it’s almost time. The Outsider is heading to DVD and Blu-ray in June 2020.

We’ve only just seen the season finale, which certainly brought a climactic end that makes us need more. The Outsider: The Complete First Season will be on DVD and Blu-ray from June 9, 2020.

There’s some even better news if you love to get it on Digital. You can buy the collection on Digital right now through Amazon Video. This is completely without an HBO subscription, so you can watch it over and over again without thinking about keeping up the monthly payments.

For those willing to wait for the DVD and Blu-ray collections, there are bonus features that you can look forward to. One of those is a look at adapting the Stephen King novel. If you’ve ever wondered what goes into the development of adaptations, this is a chance to see.

You can also go inside all 10 episodes of the series. It’s a chance to learn more about the adaptation of each individual episode, choosing where to end episodes, how to portray characters, and more.

Plus, you get all 10 episodes of the series. You can watch as much as you want with just the one payment.

Bonus features:

EL CUCO. THE BABA YAGA. THE OUTSIDER – All New Featurette
    Invitation to Set
    Stephen King and The Outsider
    Jason Bateman and The Outsider
    Adapting The Outsider
    Analyzing Holly Gibney
    The Outsider: Inside Episodes 1-10

10 one-hour episodes

1. Fish in a Barrel

2. Roanoke

3. Dark Uncle

4. Que Viene el Coco

5. Tear-Drinker

6. The One About The Yiddish Vampire

7. In the Pines, In the Pines

8. Foxhead

9. Tigers and Bears

10. Must/Can’t

For those who missed the series, it’s based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King. The story follows that of a murder of a young boy. When a baseball coach is accused of the rape and murder of the child, the whole town turns against him. However, it turns out that the man may not have been all that guilty.

Is there time to make amends? Will the detective remain focused on the one made despite the evidence suggesting the detective is wrong?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast