Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunchback Jack Collection - non-King

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Supernice Peter Straub collection !!!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holy hell - that’s some straub goodness right there..!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Nice Straubs.

Here's hoping someone (Suntup? CD?) cranks out an edition of Ghost Story or Shadowland at some point.
    Thanks! Agreed. Or maybe Mystery, which doesn't have an S/L edition yet. I would throw all sorts of money at Paul if he did an edition of Mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Wow, nice.
    I think I even read two of those. GHOST STORY and THE BALLAD OF, etc.
    Thanks, Steve. I like Straub's work a great deal. There are still some I haven't read, but I'm gradually getting through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Supernice Peter Straub collection !!!
    Thanks, Frank. I am not a completist by any means - there are a LOT of signed editions of Straub's work - but I've gradually been adding to this collection over the past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Holy hell - that’s some straub goodness right there..!
    Thanks, Antoni. You collect him as well, right? I'd love to see your collection, if so.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    ...Or maybe Mystery, which doesn't have an S/L edition yet. I would throw all sorts of money at Paul if he did an edition of Mystery.
    Would he need to do Koko first? I think I heard that Mystery is the second in the trilogy begun by Koko, but I haven't read them (I'm getting there!) and I don't know if they are tightly connected.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

...Or maybe Mystery, which doesn't have an S/L edition yet. I would throw all sorts of money at Paul if he did an edition of Mystery.
    Would he need to do Koko first? I think I heard that Mystery is the second in the trilogy begun by Koko, but I haven't read them (I'm getting there!) and I don't know if they are tightly connected.
    Mystery is the second of a trilogy (with Koko preceding it, and The Throat following it), but they are pretty loosely connected, and work as standalone novels. In fact, the S/Ls of Koko and The Throat already come from different publishers (CP and Borderlands, respectively), so I don't think having a Suntup edition of just Mystery would be unattractive to collectors.

Of course, if Paul wanted to release the whole trilogy, I'd be the last person on Earth to object.

ETA: I should add that the three "Blue Rose" novels mentioned above are not a trilogy in any conventional narrative sense. They share characters of the same name, but on different narrative planes of existence. The three novels form part of a larger metafictional framework (which includes some related short stories and novellas) in which Straub envisions specific parts of his work to be fiction written by one of his characters.

This might sound trite or pretentious, but it's far from it. Reading later novels is like looking at the earlier ones reflected in a broken mirror, where characters, plot points and themes are revisited in distorted or transformed ways.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...I should add that the three "Blue Rose" novels mentioned above are not a trilogy in any conventional narrative sense. They share characters of the same name, but on different narrative planes of existence. The three novels form part of a larger metafictional framework (which includes some related short stories and novellas) in which Straub envisions specific parts of his work to be fiction written by one of his characters.

This might sound trite or pretentious, but it's far from it. Reading later novels is like looking at the earlier ones reflected in a broken mirror, where characters, plot points and themes are revisited in distorted or transformed ways.
    Sounds a bit like some of what King did in DT; I'm curious to see how Straub did with it.

Kind of, but not really. The different levels of his metafiction don't interact; there is no metaverse with different levels of existence. It's more like he is revisiting ideas and themes using different versions of the same characters. Each book stands alone, but reading all three in order is very intriguing.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...The different levels of his metafiction don't interact; there is no metaverse with different levels of existence. It's more like he is revisiting ideas and themes using different versions of the same characters. Each book stands alone, but reading all three in order is very intriguing.
    This sounds like it begs for a trilogy with art (cover, slipcase, illustrations) following the same pattern of repeated but varied themes. In the right hands, that could be a remarkable set (now I just have to go read the books).

The signed limited U.K. edition of The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

This edition is not particularly rare, with a publication run of 1000. But I believe it's the only UK S/L edition of this book, and I was looking for one to "complete" my Zafon set.

I took a chance on a somewhat vague listing and got it for an absolute steal. It's not in perfect shape - the book has one small ding to a corner, and the slipcase has some minor wear on the corners - but it'll do very nicely

I now have U.K. S/Ls of all four volumes of Zafon's Cemetery of Forgotten Books. However, I'm not sure whether I have all the U.K. S/L editions that exist for these books. Some were published by arrangement with multiple booksellers - Goldsboro and Waterstones, at least - each with its own stated limitation. I don't think any bookseller published all four in a limited edition, and the publisher themselves did not either.

So it's a bit hard to know what a "complete set" really means. But I think I'm done.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Ah ain't not never heerd tell o' this guy, but that's a nice looking book.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Very nice design.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's pretty freakin' cool, man!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Veryverynice, CONGRATS !!!

John F. Kennedy Sulla has a spectacular aura about Sulla has a spectacular aura about

It looks very nice!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's a great looking edition. I read the first three volumes of this series (I think there's a fourteen?). I really enjoyed it but I think it was the second one that fell flat for me?

Ah ain't not never heerd tell o' this guy, but that's a nice looking book.
    Thanks, Steve. I recommend Zafon. He has a leisurely pace, but is prose is fantastic (which is a credit to his translator as well as to author)

Very nice design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    That's pretty freakin' cool, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Veryverynice, CONGRATS !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    It looks very nice!
    Thanks, guys. It's a bit nicer than the trade edition without being quite the quality of a limited small press edition. Much of the "edgewear" you see is the illustration printed on the book; it's in very nice condition.

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    That's a great looking edition. I read the first three volumes of this series (I think there's a fourteen?). I really enjoyed it but I think it was the second one that fell flat for me?
    I have also not yet read volume 4; I hope to do that in a month or two. I must say that volume 2 - "The Angel's Game" - was actually my favourite of the first three - for reasons I can't go into without massive spoilers.

Ilium (Simmons)

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

That is absolutely SWEET looking!!!!!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

I've been collecting these for a while, and just completed the set. These are Deluxe Trade hardcover editions of Tolkien's works, published by HarperCollins in the U.K. :

These editions aren't signed or numbered, and are relatively modestly priced - particularly the later printings, which most of these copies are. But they have some nice design details on slipcase and boards, are printed on heavier paper stock, and have a higher quality binding and ribbon bookmark. Very nice editions.

HarperCollins have a few different slipcased editions of Tolkien's works, and so I'm not entirely sure if there are others in this particular set. There is a deluxe version of the three-volume History of Middle Earth, published in 2017, which may be part of this set, but it's almost identical to the standard three-volume set published in 2005, so I'm not sure it's really considered "deluxe". Or, at least, deluxe enough for me to buy, given that I have the 2005 set (and a few others besides).

Other editions of these books tend to be fancier, having leather spines, gilt pages or artist signatures. This set contains volumes that are simple enough to be enjoyed as reading copies.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice looking set, Sir!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, Peter!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I think they look great. Tolkien wrote more than I thought.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, but do you really think it is ever complete? HA!
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Nice Tolkien. Maybe one day I will try to get a complete set. I would love to read his stuff.

John F. Kennedy Sulla has a spectacular aura about Sulla has a spectacular aura about

It looks very nice, Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Nice looking set, Sir!
    Thank you! Most were not that hard to find - later printings are still available new - but some look a bit of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Very nice, Peter!
    Thank you, Brian.

I think they look great. Tolkien wrote more than I thought.
    He wrote a lot more than was published in his lifetime. He spent literally decades working on the "Elder Tales" of Middle Earth - set in the "First Age" of its history - and trying to make those tales consistent with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (set in the Third Age). The Silmarillion contains short forms of those tales, and many of the other books contain longer versions of them - in multiple, unfinished versions.

The posthumous volumes were edited by his son, Christopher Tolkien, who also provided extensive commentary and analysis of the texts. He is the literary executor of the Tolkien estate and, in that role, is responsible for organizing and publishing his father's works as he sees fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Yes, but do you really think it is ever complete? HA!
    Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard about this volume, and will certainly get it once published, if it is in this set.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Nice Tolkien. Maybe one day I will try to get a complete set. I would love to read his stuff.
    If you are more interested in the stories themselves, and less interested in the literary analysis of how his work evolved over time, I would recommend:
    - The Hobbit (a children's book, so keep that in mind)
    - The Lord of the Rings (famous, wonderful, but challenging)
    - The Silmarillion (tales from Middle-Earth's history long before the events of Lord of the Rings; even more challenging)
    - Tales from the Perilous Realm (short stories, some from Middle-Earth, some not)
    - The Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, The Fall of Gondolin (expanded versions of three key tales from The Silmarillion, with some commentary)

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    It looks very nice, Peter!
    Thanks! The set looks great on the shelf, and the books are quite a bit nicer than standard trade editions - but not so nice that you feel reluctant to actually read them.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast