Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunchback Jack Collection - non-King

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyUnwise View Post
    Do you recommend just skimming eBay and Camelot frequently and hope?
    I certainly use those sites, and have found some rarities on ABE (although prices are usually on the high side). But a key to success in finding these books is to do what you're doing here - join online communities, let people know what you're looking for, and help out others to find their wants as well.

(Incidentally, if you had either a Drood Lettered or a Mister Slaughter Lettered, even PC, I'd throw all sort of money at you)

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    I think I might make a go for a lettered Terror. Or a numbered at least, if there is one. They’re really hard to find, right? Do you know how much they’re currently valued at?
    Terror S/Ls come up now and then. I've maybe only seen one other Lettered Terror on the market since I bought mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jon10g View Post
    Love the Dahlquist books. May I ask when they were published? I really enjoyed these books. Wish he would write more.
    The Subpress editions of volumes 1 and 2 were published in May 2007 and January 2008, respectively.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Supernice new books !!!

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

They’re both beauties but the volume one case stands out to me. I don’t think I’ve seen one quite like it before. It really does look like a wallet. Really cool.
    Lettered Fevre Dream came with a case like that. It's one of my favorites.

Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Random Lettered Editions, Part 1: The Silo Trilogy, by Hugh Howey:

This is a PC copy of the SubPress lettered edition. The three volumes are housed in a single traycase, and each one is bound in leather with foil stamping. The endpapers are this beautifully textured and richly colored thick paper. A nice set.

This was another lucky pickup from the SubPress PC sale earlier this year.
    So you got it

Congrats!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    So nice. You guys are killing me right now.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Supernice new books !!!
    Thanks, Frank. I like 'em.

Thanks for posting, Becca. I don't think I've seen that edition before.

SubPress did a few lettered editions in that style around this time - Tad Williams' "Rite" and Jonathan Lethem's "How We Became Insipid" are two I recall offhand (neither of which I own).

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Random Lettered Editions, Part 1: The Silo Trilogy, by Hugh Howey:
    So you got it

Congrats!
    I admit that I did, Becca. I was very fortunate in that sale, and was able to pick up the few PC lettered editions that I really, really wanted.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Random Lettered Editions, Part 3: Crosstalk, by Connie Willis:

I really like Willis's work - it's smart and fun - and I picked this copy up on the secondary market for under list price. If I get the chance, I hope to pick up lettered editions of her Blackout/All Clear series, also from SubPress.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    ...I TOTALLY DESPISE THE BIG LEBOWSKI.
    Everything is a travesty with you, man.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I TOTALLY DESPISE THE BIG LEBOWSKI.
    Well, it’s been nice knowing you Steve.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree about Joyce Carol Oates. Uck.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Yeah, well, that’s just like, your opinion, man.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Say what you want; at least it's an ethos.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Say what you want; at least it's an ethos.
    Uh, I’m just gonna go find a cash machine.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Good stuff! Some gorgeous editions.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Steve's original post seems to have been deleted, but here's what I'll say:
    • Connie Willis's writing style is not for everyone, and I can understand why some people don't like it. I find it charming, though.
    • While I like the Fight Club movie, I much prefer the book (which is where the quote in my sig is from)
    • See Adam's response regarding your opinion about The Big Lebowski. It was perfect.

And thanks for the nice comment, Brian.

A few more random lettered to post, and then a few decidedly UN-random ones.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Random Lettered Edition, Part 4: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi:

This was the first SubPress lettered I bought, a PC copy on eBay, for less than the list price of the S/L!

The traycase is a bit scuffed on the front, but condition is otherwise not bad. Leather covers, two color printing throughout. She doesn't look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

"I want more of this", I thought, when I first saw it.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Random Lettered Editions, Part 5: Beyond the Aquila Rift, by Alastair Reynolds:

A true lettered (R) copy. I like Reynolds work, including his short stories, although I haven't yet read of of these.

"Standard" SubPress lettered - leather covers, good binding and paper. Great stuff.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Random Lettered Editions, Part 6: Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey:

This is a gorgeous volume, and a real monster! Another true lettered (Q) copy. The artwork is really something special.

I plan to get the matching letter of the next volume, Kushiel's Chosen, when available from SubPress.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Random Lettered Editions, Part 7: The Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris

Leaving the best til last.

I have posted pics of this in other threads, but took some new photos to post here. A truly gorgeous volume, a PC copy of the SubPress Lettered edition of The Silence of the Lambs.

The traycase is bound in Japanese silk, embossed with the death's-head hawkmoth emblem. The book itself is bound in red leather and black cloth, with the same death's-head hawkmoth emblem embossed in gold foil. Gorgeous endpapers, and two-color printing throughout.

Photos do not do this book justice. I was awe-struck just taking it down from the shelf to photograph it again.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Chatty

Ok all those are very nice, but that Silence of the Lambs...wow! Got a serious case of envy going on over here right now. Well done.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Me too on that LAMBS. I wanted that lettered so bad but I just did not have the money, and I think it sold out anyway before I got a shot at it. Beautiful book!

(I did get the trade edition though)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice ym2000 will become famous soon enough ym2000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was able to find the set from a retiring collector, otherwise I never seen any for sale together.

I really like Willis's work - it's smart and fun - and I picked this copy up on the secondary market for under list price. If I get the chance, I hope to pick up lettered editions of her Blackout/All Clear series, also from SubPress.

HBJ[/QUOTE]

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice stuff, Peter!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Man,
    There are some wonderful books that I don't even know about. I guess that's my fault for just having tunnel vision on King. Way to go Peter.
    I wish I had some recommendations of nice S\L I should check out. But there are too many site to try and follow.

Ok all those are very nice, but that Silence of the Lambs...wow! Got a serious case of envy going on over here right now. Well done.
    Me too on that LAMBS. I wanted that lettered so bad but I just did not have the money, and I think it sold out anyway before I got a shot at it. Beautiful book!

(I did get the trade edition though)
    Thanks, Adam and Steve! Yes, it's a bit unfair of me to put Lambs next to these other titles, because it does tend to make them look a bit ... ordinary. And they certainly are not!

Quote Originally Posted by ym2000 View Post
    I was able to find the set from a retiring collector, otherwise I never seen any for sale together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack

HBJ
    No, me either. My statement was more an idle hope than, say, a goal for 2018.

(Although I may have a lead on a PC Lettered of All Clear, which would be cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Very nice stuff, Peter!
    Thanks a lot, Brian. I appreciate your appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Man,
    There are some wonderful books that I don't even know about. I guess that's my fault for just having tunnel vision on King. Way to go Peter.
    I wish I had some recommendations of nice S\L I should check out. But there are too many site to try and follow.
    I think you're right to focus, though.

There are a lot of "pretty books" out there, and I've learned the hard way that if you chase after everything that looks cool, you end up with a lot of titles on your shelf that you really just don't care about. My collection has definitely benefitted recently from me making conscious decisions about what *not* to collect - regardless of how gorgeous the volumes are or how good an investment it might be. Read my sig, in other words.

So if King is your thing, there's nothing wrong with that. You want things on your shelf that have significance to you.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast