Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunchback Jack Collection - non-King

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

A PC copy of the SubPress Lettered edition of The Skylark by Peter Straub:

The numbered S/L edition of The Skylark was the first book I ever ordered directly from SubPress, back in 2010. It's a "first draft" version of Straub's novel, A Dark Matter, and was published exclusively by SubPress ahead of the "official" version. I love that sort of thing, and given it was also signed, I couldn't resist picking it up. Well worth reading alongside the more widely-published novel.

So when a PC copy of the Lettered edition showed up recently, I also couldn't resist picking it up.

Strangely, the signature sheet in this copy mentions the 500 copies of the numbered edition, but not the 26 copies of the Lettered edition. But this is definitely a PC copy of the lettered edition - the cover and binding is superior to the numbered edition. So I can only assume that all the lettered copies are like this, or the binder goofed (which is why this is a PC copy).

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Peter!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool looking book and very interesting story about it. I enjoyed A Dark Matter and now I'm curious about what if any differences there are between the two.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats for the supernice The Skylark !!!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man, what an amazing collection you have. And that Straub - so cool. Doin the Aussie ex-pats proud

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful book!

And the dustjacket reminds me of a stepped-up version of the New York Review Book classic releases, which is a really neat aesthetic:

And of course much love for Peter Straub

I haven't read The Skylark/A Dark Matter, though, I'll admit. There are a few Straub books I have yet to pick up, but, like King (though to a smaller degree), he has a number of books that are SO GOOD that I always hesitate to read a new book instead of rereading one of the classics.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Cool looking book and very interesting story about it. I enjoyed A Dark Matter and now I'm curious about what if any differences there are between the two.
    Thanks, BM! You know, I remember being fascinated by the differences - the Skylark is considerably longer, and has a many scenes cut from the final novel - but overall I recall them being very much the same novel. But I can't remember specifics; it was years ago that I read them, and I'm an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Congrats for the supernice The Skylark !!!
    Thanks, Frank. I kind of love it.

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Man, what an amazing collection you have. And that Straub - so cool. Doin the Aussie ex-pats proud
    Heh, thanks, peri. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    And of course much love for Peter Straub

I haven't read The Skylark/A Dark Matter, though, I'll admit. There are a few Straub books I have yet to pick up, but, like King (though to a smaller degree), he has a number of books that are SO GOOD that I always hesitate to read a new book instead of rereading one of the classics.
    Yes, I love me some Straub. The Tim Underhill novels (Koko, Mystery, The Throat, lost boy lost girl, and In the Night Room) are all fantastic. I also like his shorter work, although it can be a little uneven. I particularly like the shorter works associated with the Blue Rose novels. His prose is somehow intriguingly unusual, yet very clear and readable.

I have yet to go back and read some of his very early novels, and there are a couple of novels after The Throat that I need to get to.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

The SubPress Lettered edition of Kushiel's Chosen:

This is a true (Q) Lettered copy, matching my copy of Kushiel's Dart. Most of my lettered editions are PC copies; this is one of my only matching lettered sets.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

A PC copy of the SubPress Lettered edition of The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi:

This is a sequel (of sorts) to Ship Breaker, and the lettered editions are similar. Leather-bound covers, two-color printing throughout, high quality paper stock. A very nice edition.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

The lettered, numbered, and trade editions of The Listener by Robert McCammon, from Cemetery Dance:

The editions all have very similar covers, but differ in cover material, endpapers, frontispiece and paper quality.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Peter!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Really neat to see all three together. I have the lettered, but I must say I love the clean white look of the trade.
    Lettered Wants:
    Altered Carbon "O"

Lettereds for Trade:
    The Passage Trilogy
    Wool Trilogy
    Silence of the Lambs
    Jekyll & Hyde

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Nice, Peter!
    Thanks, Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyUnwise View Post
    Really neat to see all three together. I have the lettered, but I must say I love the clean white look of the trade.
    I like them all in different ways. The numbered and trade editions are still available from CD.

The next few posts will be of some recent acquisitions from a member here - including two grails of mine.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Apprentice PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I'll congratulate you on Drood "P" beforehand as I feel that's one of them. If not, keep looking hard!
    Lettered Wants:
    Altered Carbon "O"

Lettereds for Trade:
    The Passage Trilogy
    Wool Trilogy
    Silence of the Lambs
    Jekyll & Hyde

A PC copy of the SubPress Lettered Edition of Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson:

As usual, my photos don't do this volume justice. The brown embossed leather on the volume and traycase is silky smooth and gorgeous.

(Thanks very much to a member here for the opportunity to acquire this gem)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow that's a beautiful edition of a brilliant book, congrats!

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

B E A U T I F U L !!!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Man, these books are amazing. I wish I knew who to take a chance on and see if I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by vincent View Post
    Wow that's a beautiful edition of a brilliant book, congrats!
    Thanks, Vincent. Yes, I really like Cryptonomicon, and this edition really blew my mind when I saw it. I wish someone would make a really nice edition of the related Baroque Cycle (my favourite of Stephenson's)

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    B E A U T I F U L !!!
    Thanks, Frank. I love it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Man, these books are amazing. I wish I knew who to take a chance on and see if I like them.
    Thanks, Mike. If you like King, I would try McCammon or Simmons. They write good stories and have some very nice limiteds from SubPress.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

It's hard to describe how thrilled I am to finally have this volume on my shelves. This is a favourite novel of mine, and this incredible edition has been on my Grail list for a long, long time. Thanks to a member here, it's now in my collection.

This is the SubPress Lettered edition of Drood, by Dan Simmons.

This edition has a cloth and leather traycase, and the volume has leather- and Japanese silk-covered boards. Wonderful heavy paper stock. This copy is a true lettered edition (P).

I could stop collecting today, and be happy with this volume in my collection. (But I won't stop )

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

That's a beautiful edition, Peter. Congrats!

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Elegant. Nice add, Peter.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

SP does some nice work.
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Glad you got one you were really looking for. Just about all of the ones by those authors are sold out so I would have to be brave and do eBay. Need to think about that but thanks. And again, good going.

Gunslinger Apprentice ym2000 will become famous soon enough ym2000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations on Stephenson and Drood. Both beautiful books and quite rare - Stephenson especially.
    I came across several Droods but was not happy with condition so Im glad you got a very nice copy - is it Pekka's ? In my opinion one of the finest bindings and traycase presentation is my absolute favorite.
    Just speculation of course but Im hoping Bill would publish either REAMDE or Seveneves.
    Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:
    Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane - leather

SubPress:
    Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Letter V ( will trade for PC +cash)
    Neal Stephenson’ Cryptomonicon and Zodiac - Letter O

My Book Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast