2018 DT.Org Fundraiser-The Last Hurrah!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Long Walk movie in development

Goldmember herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Long Walk movie in development

If Stephen King‘s name is on it, you can expect that Hollywood wants their hands on it right now. As it turns out, the same is true even when King’s name is *not* technically on it, as THR reports tonight that New Line is developing an adaptation of The Long Walk, one of the books King penned under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.

James Vanderbilt (Truth) is writing the screenplay for New Line, the studio behind IT, and will produce with Bradley Fischer and William Sherak.

“First published in 1979, The Long Walk is set in future dystopian America ruled by an authoritarian. The country holds an annual walking contest in which 100 teens must journey, non-stop and under strict rules, until only one of them is still standing alive and receiving a prize. The story told of a 16-year old walker named Raymond Garraty and the teens, some good, some bad, some mysterious, in his orbit.”

Tracey Nyberg will exec produce.
    >>> http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...ngs-long-walk/
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter

Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to seeing it.

Along the Path of the Beam FlyerPhan0826 is on a distinguished road

One of my all time favorites... Definitely looking forward to this

I’m not a clown Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It will be interesting to see how they put this together. My guess is there will be a good amount of material added to the front portion of this story.
    Move along. Nothing to see here.

The Hound CyberGhostface will become famous soon enough CyberGhostface will become famous soon enough CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hope Darabont is able to direct, I know he's been wanting to.

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Demon of the Prim St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    My guess is there will be a good amount of material added to the front portion of this story.
    I would really hate to see them pad it out with backstory; the limits on what the reader/viewer knows are part of the atmosphere. If we see emotional scenes with parents/siblings at home during a lead-up period, TLW will take a big step in the direction of every other teen dystopian movie, and there are a lot of them (the key is to keep this from feeling like any of those - it should be stark, spare, bare bones - the opposite of Hunger Games and all the rest).
    So we've gone from "of course we didn't do that!" to "...ok, we did, but it had a really cool name!"

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    My guess is there will be a good amount of material added to the front portion of this story.
    I would really hate to see them pad it out with backstory; the limits on what the reader/viewer knows are part of the atmosphere. If we see emotional scenes with parents/siblings at home during a lead-up period, TLW will take a big step in the direction of every other teen dystopian movie, and there are a lot of them (the key is to keep this from feeling like any of those - it should be stark, spare, bare bones - the opposite of Hunger Games and all the rest).
    This x1000. It should be a minimalist film with unknown actors. Hell, I would even prefer it in black and white!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Demon of the Prim St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    It should be a minimalist film with unknown actors. Hell, I would even prefer it in black and white!
    Not bad ideas.
    So we've gone from "of course we didn't do that!" to "...ok, we did, but it had a really cool name!"

Maerlyn's Imp Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode is a glorious beacon of light Iwritecode's Avatar

You can hope for that but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. They are likelly going to pad the story out, give Garraty more of a back-story and hope it does well enough so that they can make a sequel.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    You can hope for that but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. They are likelly going to pad the story out, give Garraty more of a back-story and hope it does well enough so that they can make a sequel.
    Movie studio exec: "Hey, I found this great property, really original and different - let's get it into theaters! Right after we make it just like everything else."

Goldmember herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Hope Darabont is able to direct, I know he's been wanting to.
    I was thinking the same, but I guess that he wont be even involved in that project now that he has lost the rights to the story :-(
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter

Citizen of Gilead TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’m excited about this, but think this will be a tough one to pull off. Then again, I thought the same for Gerald’s Game and it was well executed.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

I’m not a clown Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad has a brilliant future Ben Staad's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

While it is different they managed to make Stand by Me (The Body) pretty interesting. A good amount of that story involved walking.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    I’m excited about this, but think this will be a tough one to pull off. Then again, I thought the same for Gerald’s Game and it was well executed.
    Move along. Nothing to see here.

The Terror Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19's Avatar

I can't wait to see this. Does anyone know anything about the screenwriter? I need to go look up what he's worked on before. My fear is that it's going to be "Hollywoodized" and that'll ruin the story. I hope they keep it stark and minimal. Also bummed that Darabont probably won't be involved.

+ Reply to Thread