Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ed McBain

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Ed McBain

any fans of his on here? to give a history well i'll try to make it as short as i can. he he back in the early 90's i'd pick up his books and look at his list of books he's done cause i had heard of the series whenever a new one was coming out.cause as we all know when it's being promoted part of a series you know it is.

anyways. for the longest time i saw how many books there were and when i was and i'm going to spell this wrong The Libaray back in (1995) i thought fuck it i'll give the guy a shot. and i read i think the 1st three books and i was hooked ever since.

now since i downloaded pretty much all his books since i don't own them all.only some of his 87th books. i am reading them in order

i already read Cop Hater which later did get an expanded version much like King did with the 1st Dark Tower book. he did that for i think a few of his books before he died in (2005) of Cancer. anyways, i forget if it was last year that i read Cop Hater again

cause i do own the actual book of that one. that i read it i'm thinking 2 years ago. anyways last year i think it was i read The Mugger. and as i've said many times on how

i have to be in the mood for any type of author, book or genre. i'm weird like that i'm now on "The Pusher' the 3rd book and 3rd release from (1956) the 1st year he put any of the series books out.

and i dunno if it's a spoiler or not the book is over 60 years old and it's not giving away who the killer is at all. but there's a scene i just got reading in it where one of the cop's son gets hooked onto Heroin i had to look the spelling right or else you wouldn't know what i was talking about.

anyways the cop son gets hooked onto that and so he locks him up into his room and the kid who's 17 or 18 years old is going through with drawl and it's heartbreaking the way it was written. and though i've never done that drug nor do i ever plan to.

it was bringing a little bit of tears to my eyes cause it was written so well.and you feel for the cop who is helpless and can't do nothing and sadly stuff like this does happen in the real world. it's hard to believe this was written in (1956) and not today well other than him calling his old man a square a 1950's term.

has anyone read this one?

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i've since Finished "The Pusher' than i read the 4th book "The Con Man' (1957) now i'm on book #5 "KIller's Choice' (1957) so far i'm really liking this one and this i think is gonna be the best one yet. the others yes were good but not books i'd say were among his best books though they all were good in their own way. none of them were awful books by any means. but i'm only at Chapter 7 on this one thus far and one character got killed that i forgot even died to be honest. i hadn't read this one since i was maybe 16 or 17 i think?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Try out his Matthew Hope series, too. In one of them, a copy of The Plant is being auctioned at a fundraiser.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

really which one? i have read some of them actually but just not all of them. and they are quite good too.. but it's been so long since i last read those that i don't remember a thing about them to be honest

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    really which one? i have read some of them actually but just not all of them. and they are quite good too.. but it's been so long since i last read those that i don't remember a thing about them to be honest
    I was wrong -- it's Six Stories on auction, in The Last Best Hope, page 54. It goes for $950. You can read the passage here, on Amazon by searching for Stephen King.

In Snow White and Rose Red, a character is reading Christine.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i have The Last Best Hope and i've had that for years but i actually haven't gotten around to reading it. my plan is to at some point read them all in order, i have Cinderella on my Kindle to read but i haven't gotten around to start that one. and i haven't read Snow White & Rose Red either. i don't own that one though

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I haven't read any of his 87th Precinct novels yet, but have read a good number of his standalones, especially his early ones (under his Richard Marsten pseudonym, etc.). One of these days I'll take the 87th plunge...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

you should and i'd say read them in order cause though you can read a lot of them out of order and it won't really matter, but some things happen that do get brought up later on in the series, in one of the very early books a cop was killed it's on the jacket of the book that it does happen so it's not a spoiler. i had forgotten about that actually cause i hadn't read the book in years in fact it's the book i am currently reading! i'm still on killer's Choice chapter i think 12 now. it's the 5th book in the series. than in the 14th book another character is killed and is in fact part of the murder in that book. that one gets mentioned a shit ton in later books cause they were a big part in the early books. i'd say who but if you haven't read it yet. plus you wouldn't know who i'm talking about anyways. i am now like i said reading them in order and i'm glad i did actually, i ended up downloading a shit ton of his books since there's a LOT of them i don't own such as Killer's Choice. there are some he did that he revised and made longer such as Cop Hater the 1st book from (1956) and "The Mugger' also from (1956) but not all of them he got around to do that too before he died.

the early ones don't take long to read cause they are short. leaving out the ones he revised. much like King later did on a couple of his books, but there are i think 55 of them and i think you might enjoy the series, for me i started them like i said in order with No.1 way back when and it was a decent book and it still is, but i read a couple more cause i liked the characters and it showed Potential for me i mean. and i've never looks back, there are some shitty ones in there too don't get me wrong not all of them are good but that's any series. i've never read them all actually. but at some point i sure do hope i do though i may be 60 years old by the time i actually fucking finish them. i'm 39 now soon to be 40 in a few months

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i just finished well late last night i finished Killer's Choice' and it was a pretty good book. i was wrong on who the killer was. but oh well that's not such a big deal ya know? i have no idea what i'm gonna start next?

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

i started this thread but i haven't been on here in apparently 3 years! why the name change? i could not remember for the life of me what my password was or screen name either so i said screw it and start a new one at least i think that's what happened i don't really remember anymore lol. anyways i am Currently reading Killer's Wedge (1959) the 7th or 8th book in the series i forget which & it's a decent one so far but i'm only on Chapter 5 anyways.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

well i'm on the 10th book which i have not started yet but it's called King's Ransom from ( 1959) the last book of his that came out from this series anyways that was written in the 50's.

+ Reply to Thread