Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Site Improvements - Help Needed

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Site Improvements - Help Needed

As some of you might be aware, the site has been running on an aging version of the Forum software for quite a while now and we are starting to see some consequences of that (the recent post corruption and the (albeit temporary) loss of Br!an)

There was an attempt sometime back to upgrade which was so fraught with problems during the testing, it was abandoned and we never went through with upgrading the live site.

I am now looking at the upgrade again and with RF's blessing I have a lot more access to the sites inner workings and will be doing some local testing of the upgrade - none of this will affect anybody using the live site until we are happy with the upgrade plan. There is also no deadline or timescale for this -it will happen when it's ready.

As well as the upgrade I'd like to get some feedback from everyone of any little issues/bugs/annoyances that the current version has. Two reasons for this:

1. It's useful to check to see if the problem is fixed by an upgrade
    2. I can get more knowledge on how and where these issues occur.

A good example would be the toobar in the editor I am using to add this thread. The last Icon is missing and I just see some text "Wrap [SPECIAL] tags around selected text". These are the kind of things I am looking to get fixed.

I'm not really looking for "Can we have this new thing?" ideas, that comes later. Right now I'd like to get the current functionality as good as it can be on the latest version of the software.

Appreciate everyones input on this.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Out of curiosity are you looking at upgrading to VB5 or just a newer version of VB4? We've had some issue with the CD forums as well and I've wanted to switch to VB5 for years now, but just haven't been able to figure out a good way to do it.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Out of curiosity are you looking at upgrading to VB5 or just a newer version of VB4? We've had some issue with the CD forums as well and I've wanted to switch to VB5 for years now, but just haven't been able to figure out a good way to do it.
    The initial plan is the latest version of VB4 (we can upgrade without a license cost). Although VB5 hasn't been ruled out. What do you see as the main benefits for VB5?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    The initial plan is the latest version of VB4 (we can upgrade without a license cost). Although VB5 hasn't been ruled out. What do you see as the main benefits for VB5?
    Yea we purchased a VB5 license some time ago, but weren't really able to figure out a good way to migrate from VB4 to VB5. For me at least I think the major benefits are just security. They are actively developing for VB5 where 4 really only seems to be getting minor security patches. On top of that it's really only a matter of time before they stop supporting VB4 entirely.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea we purchased a VB5 license some time ago, but weren't really able to figure out a good way to migrate from VB4 to VB5. For me at least I think the major benefits are just security. They are actively developing for VB5 where 4 really only seems to be getting minor security patches. On top of that it's really only a matter of time before they stop supporting VB4 entirely.
    Ok, once I get our upgrade to VB4 latest sorted I'll take a look at what is involved with going to 5 - I'll let you know.

Ok, once I get our upgrade to VB4 latest sorted I'll take a look at what is involved with going to 5 - I'll let you know.
    Cool. I'm sure there's some utilities now, I haven't looked at it in 4 years. I actually do need to do an update to VB4 as well. I got held up by the web host needing to do some updates to PHP and SQL.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if I should mention this here, or in the technical support section.

It seems that I can access the discussion tab for books in the "Stephen King Collectible Items" section. Not sure if it is all the books, but I tried 3 and they all just give me the "Loading Selected Tab - Please Wait" message and the annoying spinning dots.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post

It seems that I can access the discussion tab for books in the "Stephen King Collectible Items" section. Not sure if it is all the books, but I tried 3 and they all just give me the "Loading Selected Tab - Please Wait" message and the annoying spinning dots.

Happens to me as well, both with IE and Firefox on Windows 10.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Which books did you try?

EDIT: I see the discussion tab for the Index Quick Links stalls when clicked on.
    Perhaps stroppygoblin can look into it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

Which books did you try?

EDIT: I see the discussion tab for the Index Quick Links stalls when clicked on.
    Perhaps stroppygoblin can look into it.
    Issue should be resolved

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Kudos to the customer service department!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for all you’re doing, Simon!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    SHHH!

He's going to want a raise.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SHHH!

Three peanuts?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    SHHH!

Three peanuts?
    Almost as much as you make, and you've been on staff for years...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SHHH!

Three peanuts?
    He's going to want double!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

SHHH!

Three peanuts?
    He's going to want double!
    Wait! There’s PEANUTS???? Nobody mentioned that to me!

Country
    Country Flag

A good example would be the toolbar in the editor I am using to add this thread. The last Icon is missing and I just see some text "Wrap [SPECIAL] tags around selected text". These are the kind of things I am looking to get fixed.
    It appears that way in my Firefox browser.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I’ve noticed that when I’m selecting messages to delete in my inbox, the text associated with the options that pop up when you hit the ‘selected messages’ button doesn’t show up until you actually click on one of the options. Like the word ‘delete’ doesn’t show up until you actually click on that option.

It was the only thing that came to mind as a ‘bug.’
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    I’ve noticed that when I’m selecting messages to delete in my inbox, the text associated with the options that pop up when you hit the ‘selected messages’ button doesn’t show up until you actually click on one of the options. Like the word ‘delete’ doesn’t show up until you actually click on that option.

I use Firefox and don't have that problem.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post

That is most likely related to which skin you view the site in, not any particular browser. It still is a quirk.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I use the GrayFolio BLACK skin.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The quirk described can be seen when using the Take 5 4.0.8 skin. It still is something I would like to fix (with stroppy's help).

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes. One of my goals is complete functional parity with ALL the skins.