Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Terror on AMC

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BEST NEW SHOW IN YEARS.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watched it last night and while it wasn't bad, I was a little underwhelmed. I liked the first episode better than the second (I found myself checking the clock a lot, which isn't a good sign). I have a feeling I'm going to be glad I'm jumping right into the show instead of reading the book.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Watched it last night and while it wasn't bad, I was a little underwhelmed. I liked the first episode better than the second (I found myself checking the clock a lot, which isn't a good sign). I have a feeling I'm going to be glad I'm jumping right into the show instead of reading the book.
    Oh no, I can already guarantee that the book is going to be much better than the miniseries. But you guys know I'm usually a purist, and get upset at changes. So far there's two big ones that bother me, but I'm hoping it'll get better. I really enjoyed the first episodes, but I hope it doesn't stray too much farther from the book.

One other thing that I liked about the book is that the story starts in Oct 1848, and then there's flashbacks as to how they got to where they are at that point. Kinda wish they did a similar thing, but I can see why they started where they did.

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Awesome, thanks Mae!

What did everyone think of last night? Has anyone read the book? I'm a litte confused
    Spoiler:
    as to why Lady Silence is not silent?
    I haven't read the book but
    Spoiler:
    I assume she just isn't silent yet. Her dad's tongue was cut out so maybe she will be doing the same to herself?
    That's probably my guess as well, but it kinda changes things quite a bit. Wonder why they felt the need to change that,
    Spoiler:
    as having her silent from the beginning adds a lot more mystery. No one knows who she is, where she's from, what happened to her, what she's feeling or thinking...

Not sure why my response is showing up in quotes like that.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One other thing that I liked about the book is that the story starts in Oct 1848, and then there's flashbacks as to how they got to where they are at that point. Kinda wish they did a similar thing, but I can see why they started where they did.

They started it four years after the events on the ice, so isn't that what they did?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sorry, Oct 1847. They've already been snowed in for two winters, and they're awaiting spring and hopefully with it the water to thaw so they can continue on with their expedition of finding the northwest passage. So about 2 1/2 years after they departed from England.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched the first two episodes last night. Now I realize that AMC doesn't have the rest available unless you pay for them. Are episodes 3-10 available anywhere else?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

They'll probably release them after they air.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, I thought they had already aired and AMC was forcing me to purchase the remaining episodes.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Nope, they'll be airing every week, just like old fashioned tv Apparently AMC has some sort of streaming service now I guess. I think they're trying to promote it by releasing all episodes at once on there.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    BEST NEW SHOW IN YEARS.

Easy now. It's good so far, but I wouldn't go putting it above say, Fargo/Better Call, Saul/Blacklist/Westworld for example as yet!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to read this thread so bad but I haven't watched the show yet. It's been sitting on my DVR since it aired.

*runs out of the thread*
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    When I can I will check out the book. A little tired of how AMC puts their seasons together. Half season...1/2 to 1 year off...multi media junk...resume show.
    Most of these network shows don't really do that. Honestly, it's really only The Walking Dead that does two halves of a season because it's so popular. Shows like Better Call Saul do their 10 episode run and they're out for the season. The same goes for shows like The Americans, Fargo, Mr. Robot. The list goes on. I honestly can't think of another cable show that does a 16 episode season.

As for a year off, that's standard for most shows. Most shows, especially networks shows, come back in September. Cable shows premiere throughout the year and usually tie up their season by the end of May. Most networks and cable channels will avoid the summer like the plague. I can't tell you how often I've had this conversation with family and friends and they ask me why their favorite shows seem to go off the air during the summer. It's not a coincidence.

I much prefer the short episode runs than investing in 22 episodes like on network TV. I enjoy shows like Blacklist but they really start stretching things to get to 20 episodes.

As for The Terror. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing how things unravel. I really like time period stuff and, being from New England, I've been to Mystic Seaport numerous times, so I love old ships.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I found The Terror at a used book store for 50 cents. Score!

My backlog grows.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

My backlog grows.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

My backlog grows.
    My library has a really awesome used bookstore. I went in there specifically to see if they had The Terror. Not only was I excited to see that they had it, but it was on the 50 cent rack. This kind of stuff doesn't happen to me.

Anyone watching the show that has also read the book? I'm dying to discuss with someone that has.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Good Gravy... I just finished my first read of the Terror and I loved it (especially the ending)

Now I'm ready to jump into watching the episodes. The snippets I've seen in promos during recently watched Walking Dead eps look great!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

The book is amazing isn't it! Just a warning the show doesn't strictly follow the book. I'll be excited to talk to you about it once you catch up.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm enjoying the show, but not as much as I was hoping. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not wholly grabbing me yet.

I agree, although I think in my case it's some of the big changes from the book.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still can't tell you a single character's name (aside from Lady Silence). That's the first sign of a show not grabbing me.

On a related note, it bothers me that no one ever looks cold. Were ships really that well insulated?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished it and loved it. So well done!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I still can't tell you a single character's name (aside from Lady Silence). That's the first sign of a show not grabbing me.

On a related note, it bothers me that no one ever looks cold. Were ships really that well insulated?
    That's one of the problems I have with the show too. When I was reading the book it always talked about how layered up they were, and in the winter they were wearing their full outfits inside. Hats, and gloves and were still very cold. I'm surprised that they're not even wearing full gloves outside, especially because at that temperature if your skin touches metal it will tear it off, which we've seen, but yet their fingers are still free? The book actually made me feel cold when I was reading it, but yet I don't really get that feeling while watching the show. I do wish the show conveyed this more because it must have been torturous for the real men. I can't even begin to fathom what they must have gone through.

Country
    Country Flag

I guess that's one of the things lost in the transition from page to screen. There's a lot more you can do with description and internal feelings in writing. Then again, like you said, if they just showed them wearing gloves and all their "winter" clothes all the time, a little of that would go a long way.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's one of the problems I have with the show too. When I was reading the book it always talked about how layered up they were, and in the winter they were wearing their full outfits inside. Hats, and gloves and were still very cold. I'm surprised that they're not even wearing full gloves outside, especially because at that temperature if your skin touches metal it will tear it off, which we've seen, but yet their fingers are still free? The book actually made me feel cold when I was reading it, but yet I don't really get that feeling while watching the show. I do wish the show conveyed this more because it must have been torturous for the real men. I can't even begin to fathom what they must have gone through.
    I'm with you. We should be seeing their breath even when they are in the ship. It would go a long way to helping the atmosphere. Honestly, it would be bone chillingly cold. I don't care how well-made those ships are.

Also, I've been to Mystic Seaport here in Connecticut and I've been on original ships from that era and I can tell you they are most certainly not air tight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast