Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New short story "The Turbulence Expert" in Flight or Fright, edited by King and Bev V

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    The Matheson story is a real classic. I was familiar with it only via the great Twilight Zone episode but had never read it before. In looking through the TZ episodes trying to find that one again, it was interesting to note how many Twilight Zone episodes dealt with flight.

The Joe Hill story is pretty good. Even though it had obvious political overtones it wasn't overtly biased. King's story was interesting. Certainly had a unique premise (and no dog walking). It occurred to me in reading it how safe commercial flights have become. I can't remember the last airline disaster in the US which is somewhat surprising given the corporate greed of the airlines that have cut back almost every available service. Factor in weather, human and mechanical error and it is a modern marvel how safe air travel is. The only real positive, but a big one, for commercial flights these days which is otherwise torture.
    These days, we hear more about the human factor -- people doing crazy things on board airplanes -- than about mechanical issues. That features in a number of our stories, including the Matheson story, where if you accept there's no gremlin, it's just a guy going crazy.

One thing I especially liked about Joe's story is how even-handed it is. We see each character from someone else's perspective and then from his or her own.
    I'm old enough to remember when people used to get excited to go on flights. They would even dress up. It was a big deal. Like going on a cruise. Fun. Flying is probably a lot safer now but complete torture for the passengers. The airlines treat people like cattle or worse and then they wonder why people are stressed out and do crazy things. If there is any possible alternative to flying, I will do it. The traditional fear of flying has largely been replaced with dread of the process.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still get pretty excited when I fly (then again, I don't do it very often, so it's more of a "treat").
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    The traditional fear of flying has largely been replaced with dread of the process.
    Not for me it hasn’t. If I ever go to hell, I’ll be forced to sit through an eternity of takeoffs.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I noticed Steve's story is not first and found that interesting. Bev do pick the story order like a mix tape, how does that work? We can't put the monster on the plane story after the zombie story bc they're too similar...Or does the publisher do it?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

We picked the order -- from the minute we discovered it, it was clear to us that "Cargo" had to go first. It really sets the tone for the anthology. Strong, well-written, creepy as hell. Of all the stories mentioned in reviews, it is the one that is drawing the most attention.

There is precedent for putting Steve's story in the "anchor" position at the end. That was the case with "Stationary Bike" in BORDERLANDS 5, too. I thought it would be a good one to go out one. We were going to have another brief, hilarious story after that, as a kind of coda, but the author didn't want it reprinted. Then we both at about the same time came up with the Dickey poem and thought it would make a good coda instead.

As for the rest, it was intuition guided by theme, style and length. Clearly we couldn't put two stories with the same title close together (Bierce and Bradbury). Neither did we want two of the longer stories back-to-back. You want to create a kind of rhythm.

I'm sure a lot of readers don't go through the book in order -- many will go straight to the King or the Hill, for example -- but for those who do, we hope the order we selected feels right.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Awesome, thanks for that info. I think that stuff is neat and makes total sense.
    Yup just finished listening to Joe's then Steve's. I'll go and start with Cargo now.
    Steve's story was surprisingly upbeat/positive, the first in a long long time I believe. It was very Ray Bradbury-ish.

I like the little intros he did in between the stories that's a nice little addition.
    Looks like something great came out of the Dark Tower movie after all!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Awesome, thanks for that info. I think that stuff is neat and makes total sense.
    Yup just finished listening to Joe's then Steve's. I'll go and start with Cargo now.
    Steve's story was surprisingly upbeat/positive, the first in a long long time I believe. It was very Ray Bradbury-ish.

I like the little intros he did in between the stories that's a nice little addition.
    Steve seems to be in an upbeat mood lately. Elevation is REALLY upbeat.

He fed me those intros one at a time as I was assembling the manuscript -- it was always fun to get one. One he did during a power outage, so he wrote it by hand and texted me a screenshot of it!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post

Steve seems to be in an upbeat mood lately. Elevation is REALLY upbeat.

He fed me those intros one at a time as I was assembling the manuscript -- it was always fun to get one. One he did during a power outage, so he wrote it by hand and texted me a screenshot of it!
    Neat!
    That's cool to hear, looking forward to that one as well.
    Thanks for sharing Bev.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Well, Bev, you've just sold me on the audiobook, and convinced me to listen to the stories in order. (Not a tough sell, incidentally - I listen more than read these days)

Not to put you on the spot, but why did you not read your own story? I would have loved to hear you narrate your own work.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Well, Bev, you've just sold me on the audiobook, and convinced me to listen to the stories in order. (Not a tough sell, incidentally - I listen more than read these days)

Not to put you on the spot, but why did you not read your own story? I would have loved to hear you narrate your own work.

HBJ
    I think if I'd pushed for it, they would have let me read my story but it would have taken me forever, given that I spent over an hour on just my afterword! The producer was very "hands on,' having me read sentences and paragraphs over and over again. I watched the video of the professional narrators reading, and it seems like they can get through long passage uninterrupted -- I don't think it would have been that way for me! Besides, I'm looking forward to hearing Corey Booker's take on my story.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some chick you guys might know reviewed this for Fiction Addict. Seems she liked it! You can find the review HERE.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is that your site?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Is that your site?
    Nope, just one of the new reviewers!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Some chick you guys might know reviewed this for Fiction Addict. Seems she liked it! You can find the review HERE.
    Nice review, Dez!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Is that your site?
    Nope, just one of the new reviewers!
    Oh, cool! Now I definitely have to read your review.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Nice review, Dez!
    Thanks, Brian!

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is such a great anthology.

I haven't finished yet (just read Joe Hill's wonderful and plausibly scary, You Are Released) but every story so far has been a winner.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post
    This is such a great anthology.

I haven't finished yet (just read Joe Hill's wonderful and plausibly scary, You Are Released) but every story so far has been a winner.
    I didn't care for it overall. Only enjoyed three of the stories, Joe's being the best IMO.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

The trade paperback edition from Scribner comes out on June 4th. Scribner will also take over the eBook edition at that point. As of today, we are up to 13 translated editions in the works, too.

I'll be signing and talking about the anthology at Murder by the Book in Houston on Saturday, June 8 at 4:30 pm if any of you happen to be in the area.

Today is publication day for the trade paperback from Scribner!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

The trade paperback edition from Scribner comes out on June 4th. Scribner will also take over the eBook edition at that point. As of today, we are up to 13 translated editions in the works, too.

I'll be signing and talking about the anthology at Murder by the Book in Houston on Saturday, June 8 at 4:30 pm if any of you happen to be in the area.
    Sounds great! Thanks for posting!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I bought two at Barnes & Noble today, but I am far away from Huston, unfortunately.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The cat is out of the bag : the french edition of "Flight or Fright" will be released in May !
    It's title : "Classe tous risques"

Which may translate into something like (Airline) "Class with all risks"
    The cover is not yet available
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    The cat is out of the bag : the french edition of "Flight or Fright" will be released in May !
    It's title : "Classe tous risques"

Which may translate into something like (Airline) "Class with all risks"
    The cover is not yet available
    Would you call this a pun on the phrase "Classe Touriste"? That was what I thought at first. I also see there's a 1960 French mobster movie with that same title.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dont know. I dont think so. Or it would have been subtle as it didnt even cross my mind.
    But maybe you are right !
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast