Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Outsider - Collecting information

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just bought a legitimately flatsigned 1st/1st of Outsider from a contact of mine.....no it was not the 2nd printing on eBay.....

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I just bought a legitimately flatsigned 1st/1st of Outsider from a contact of mine.....no it was not the 2nd printing on eBay.....
    Keeping it?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

yes

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Just to be clear - if the number line starts with a 3 but ends in a 2, that's an Outsider second printing, yes?
    Lowest number wins. Some publishers use 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 but others alternate 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 so that the number line stays nearly centered on the page when they remove digits.
    Thanks, Bev.

One reason I'm asking is that I've heard reports of 3rd printing copies, but have only seen pictures of 2nd printing copies. I wonder if some people are equating the number line "starting with a 3" with "being a third printing".

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So, I'm a little taken back to hear folks are already getting 2nd/3rd editions/printings. I generally (last few tears) order my reading copy from Amazon and my collecting copy from CD w/slipcase. I have my Amazon copy which I started reading. Now, I hear there's an issue, Brian is dealing with getting 1/1 from S&S to fill their orders. I'm sure it will all work out, Bri and the folks at CD are professionals and give a damn about us collectors, but ain't this shit supposed to get easier as we get older? lol lol

FWIW, my S&S from Amazon also states "first edition May 2018" in addition to the number line
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    FWIW, my S&S from Amazon also states "first edition May 2018" in addition to the number line
    All the copies state that regardless of the numberline. It's still the first edition but not necessarily the first printing.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I got a first edition from Amazon.com --came in the mail Tuesday

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    So, I'm a little taken back to hear folks are already getting 2nd/3rd editions/printings. I generally (last few tears) order my reading copy from Amazon and my collecting copy from CD w/slipcase. I have my Amazon copy which I started reading. Now, I hear there's an issue, Brian is dealing with getting 1/1 from S&S to fill their orders. I'm sure it will all work out, Bri and the folks at CD are professionals and give a damn about us collectors, but ain't this shit supposed to get easier as we get older? lol lol

I've got a copy preordered from amazon on May 15th and it hasn't even shipped yet. I hope it is a 1st printing, if not, i'll have to send it back. what a pain in the butt.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Unless you live somewhere in the boonies, why would anyone pre-order a trade edition? Your local book store should have it and you get to hand pick your copy. Plus you won't wait years to receive it.
    I'm now buying my 1st from Camelot because they come in mylar at no extra cost. I've never got around to ordering mylar and would probably screw it up anyway. Plus she uses cool wrapping paper
    Camelot is sold out!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The good news is that I've already checked out a copy from the Library and start reading it today!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default The Outsider - Collecting information

Considering this first printing fiasco, I’m wondering if I should hang on to all the extras I bought. I planned on returning them for a refund, but then had a thought. How many first printings out there will end up with remainder marks due to whatever happened here? As I understand, the reason second and third printings were selling on release day was due to the major stores pre-ordering so many copies of the book. I’m sure the Walmarts and Targets or even B&Ns don’t care about whether they stock their shelves with first or second printings. So how many true firsts are going to end up with remainder marks I wonder. And how much will that affect the value of unmarked first printings?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Just to be clear - if the number line starts with a 3 but ends in a 2, that's an Outsider second printing, yes?
    Lowest number wins. Some publishers use 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 but others alternate 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 so that the number line stays nearly centered on the page when they remove digits.
    Thanks, Bev.

One reason I'm asking is that I've heard reports of 3rd printing copies, but have only seen pictures of 2nd printing copies. I wonder if some people are equating the number line "starting with a 3" with "being a third printing".
    My Barnes and Noble has nothing but third printings with the lowest number in the numberline being a 3.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Considering this first printing fiasco, I’m wondering if I should hang on to all the extras I bought. I planned on returning them for a refund, but then had a thought. How many first printings out there will end up with remainder marks due to whatever happened here? As I understand, the reason second and third printings were selling on release day was due to the major stores pre-ordering so many copies of the book. I’m sure the Walmarts and Targets or even B&Ns don’t care about whether they stock their shelves with first or second printings. So how many true firsts are going to end up with remainder marks I wonder. And how much will that affect the value of unmarked first printings?
    Honestly? I would return them. The first print run would be well in excess of a million. The later King books will never be worth big money. Like comics... when people found out they had value they jumped all over them and kept them perfect... still to this day that change in the 80's remains the same.. the older ones still worth money and the ones after that revelation... not worth much at all. Same thing here... get your money back dude.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Kris. A first edition trade of this book is not going to be worth much in the long run.

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Honestly? I would return them. The first print run would be well in excess of a million. The later King books will never be worth big money. Like comics... when people found out they had value they jumped all over them and kept them perfect... still to this day that change in the 80's remains the same.. the older ones still worth money and the ones after that revelation... not worth much at all. Same thing here... get your money back dude.
    Thanks. That makes sense. Especially considering millions were printed. Hypothetically let’s say half of the first printings end up marked. Still wouldn’t make a difference you think? I don’t know much about number of copies printed for the newer versus older books other than I’d guess there’s a hell of a lot more printed now but still it seems anything affecting scarcity of a book increases value. I’m not talking about hundreds of dollars, but $20? $30 above list price?

I’ll be returning them for a refund but now I’m just curious.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. That makes sense. Especially considering millions were printed. Hypothetically let’s say half of the first printings end up marked. Still wouldn’t make a difference you think? I don’t know much about number of copies printed for the newer versus older books other than I’d guess there’s a hell of a lot more printed now but still it seems anything affecting scarcity of a book increases value. I’m not talking about hundreds of dollars, but $20? $30 above list price?

nothing above list. lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I agree with Kris. A first edition trade of this book is not going to be worth much in the long run.
    Thanks guys.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Return them. No doubt.

No, I don't think it makes a difference.

As Bev said,

The first printing is based on pre-orders from stores. As they get closer to pub date, they may adjust those figures.
    So the pre-orders which constitute the first print run were for some unknown amount - 1,000,000 ~ 1,250,0000, - but their first estimates didn't satisfy demand, so they ordered more. The order for a second printing was of an unknown amount ~ 500,000. They then realized that wasn't enough and ordered another unknown amount. There may well be a fourth printing already ordered.

Some of those books will stay in warehouses. Since they don't really care about first printings, some of those that stay in warehouses will be first printings. Since they don't constantly stock hardcovers, some of the first printings will be sold at remainder prices, as RF said, whether remaindered or not. I doubt that will be a large percentage of first printings.

Dealers like Cemetery Dance will be able to make sure they receive first printings, because there are some in warehouses, and since CD makes an issue of it, first printings will be sought out and provided.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

The first printing is based on pre-orders from stores. As they get closer to pub date, they may adjust those figures.
    So the pre-orders which constitute the first print run were for some unknown amount - 1,000,000 ~ 1,250,0000, - but their first estimates didn't satisfy demand, so they ordered more. The order for a second printing was of an unknown amount ~ 500,000. They then realized that wasn't enough and ordered another unknown amount. There may well be a fourth printing already ordered.

Some of those books will stay in warehouses. Since they don't really care about first printings, some of those that stay in warehouses will be first printings. Since they don't constantly stock hardcovers, some of the first printings will be sold at remainder prices, as RF said, whether remaindered or not. I doubt that will be a large percentage of first printings.

Dealers like Cemetery Dance will be able to make sure they receive first printings, because there are some in warehouses, and since CD makes an issue of it, first printings will be sought out and provided.
    Thanks, Brian. That’s all very enlightening. I’m kind of relieved about it to be honest. I didn’t know where I was going to put them haha. Thanks again for breaking it down for this newbie.

Country
    Country Flag

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Thanks, Brian. That’s all very enlightening. I’m kind of relieved about it to be honest. I didn’t know where I was going to put them haha. Thanks again for breaking it down for this newbie.
    How many did ya buy dude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Wow, if Mr. King gets a penny for every one of those million copies sold, he'll get TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Makes me wish I cud rite good two.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Chatty

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Ten. I got a little excited lol

Country
    Country Flag

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Damm pretty much but a signed older one for that. Good call retuning them.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Chatty

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Damm pretty much but a signed older one for that. Good call retuning them.

thanks again for your help

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, Adam if all ten are up for grabs Brian at CD might appreciate taking them off your hands and offering a deal since he's got S&S searching for 1st printings to fill his slipcase orders. Just a thought. Who knows? maybe he'd throw you some kind of extra collecting bone to boot.

I doubt S&S hired, Indiana Jones to go looking for the 1st printings it owes CD. lol lol

Spoiler:
    Can't put a price tag on good karma, right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast