4 12.50%

2 6.25%

2 6.25%

4 12.50%

3 9.38%
  • Never read

2 6.25%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #11: Lisey's Story (2006)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #11: Lisey's Story (2006)

Lisey's Story, 2006

Please vote for Lisey's Story using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Wished I could give this book a negative number. By far the most annoying and uninteresting book I ever read. Was a real struggle to get through, and could only read it 2 pages at a time. Forced myself to finish it, just so I could say I finished it (so someday can say I have read all his published books).

It pains me to hear this is one of his favorite books.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A very good book. Supernatural, but so much more than that: childhood, marriage, grieving - almost like a micro-scale It in some ways.

For anyone who hasn't read it: ignore my build-up, go into it expecting nothing, and be surprised. This book doesn't come at you like a hurricane; more like a gradually rising tide.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Wished I could give this book a negative number. By far the most annoying and uninteresting book I ever read. Was a real struggle to get through, and could only read it 2 pages at a time. Forced myself to finish it, just so I could say I finished it (so someday can say I have read all his published books).

Same. It took me forever to get through this book reading a couple of pages here and a couple of pages there.The way it's written really confused me and it was difficult to keep the story straight at the beginning.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I recently re-read this one for a book club I go to. I used to really hate this book. The first time I read it I really struggled and had to force myself to finish it. And once I did, I thought what a complete waste of time. This was easily one of my least favorite King. That said, when I had to go back and re-read it I decided on the audiobook version. This definitely made it much easier to get through. The narrator was wonderful, and I have a long commute so I was able to listen to the whole thing in about a week, so at least this time it didn't drag on. And surprisingly I actually found myself really enjoying the portions of the book about Scott's past. Sadly they were very few. I wish the whole book was just about him growing up in that crazy family. If that was the case it would probably be one of my favorites. So since I was able to love portions of the book my rating has increased from last time to a 2.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

this is the most spread out vote yet. Interesting too because King mentions this as his favorite.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There were a few parts I enjoyed, but even being reminded of this book makes me angry.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post

Gave it a zero. Still haven't finished it. I read 2 pages a month, then throw it back on the shelf. It's almost (for me) impenetrable.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow really surprised at the negative comments!
    I loved this book. I real love story with other dimensions, monsters and fucked up childhoods! I would love the story of Paul's childhood also... we all go down to our pools and wish we didn't have to come back but tear ourselves away.. it made scenes. 5

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe that's why I don't like the book, I don't read SK for love stories. But I was also annoyed with all the drama with the sisters, and of course the language, sheesh! Even the "good" parts seemed to be a rehash of Secret Window, Secret Garden (IIRC)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Never read, have no inclination to, really.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    I loved this book. I real love story with other dimensions, monsters and fucked up childhoods!
    sounds like what most of us love, or else why would we be here at all
    Regrettably, the story didn't seem (to me) to be focused on all those delicacies, but they were watered down with totally unpalatable stuff.
    Gave it a 3, though, there actually were some good things. Especially comparing with some of the later SK works.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

yes... not his best work so...3... but a love story from King gives it an additional 0.5.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

0. Hated it. Loathed it. Fished like 6 other books while I was reading it. Will not read it again.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Lisey's Story has earned a FAS (final average score) of 2.850000000 or 57.00%. It received a rating of 4 with 7 votes.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Surprised at the poor reception LS received; I never knew I was virtually alone.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

+ Reply to Thread