2 7.14%

3 10.71%

1 3.57%

0 0%
  • never read

6 21.43%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #9: On Writing (2000)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #9: On Writing (2000)

On Writing, 2000

Please vote for On Writing using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I just finally got around to this one last year. I listened to the audiobook narrated by King himself, and it was so fascinating. I love hearing him talk about his life.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

For non-fiction it was ok, but I found King to be full of himself at times (granted, he's earned the right), and at times very critical of other authors (not ones I have read though). After reading it, didn't feel it really gave enough insight into the process of writing to push someone over the hump, who didn't already have enough talent. Only gave it a 2.5.

Just curious if there is any authors out there that credit this book to (some of) their success.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

3.5. Enjoyed the autobiographical parts. The instructional parts were ok.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've been waiting to get around to this but don't know when it will happen (I don't even own a copy yet).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

It took me forever to get around to it as well. I thought it was strictly a book about writing and tips and such, so I never really had a strong desire to read it since I'm not a writer. But then I came across the audiobook online from the library and decided to give it a listen. The whole first half is an autobiography, which King narrates himself. I'd highly encourage you seek out the audiobook and at least give that portion a listen. The other half, when he goes into the writing process, I found almost as fascinating because he talks about his own personal process. So you get a lot of insight into not only him, but how he writes as well.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is one of my favorites from King. And absolutely agree that the audiobook is a lot of fun. It is quite facinating hearing first hand about his background and then his writing process. Also, great tips for writers as well.

I’d even venture to say that if you weren't a big fan during your first read, try the audiobook. I’m hopeful you’d enjoy it.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. On Writing has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.659090909 or 73.18%. It received a rating of 4 with 5 votes.

+ Reply to Thread