Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Doubleday gutter code theory

Traveler tdshelc is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Inspired

Right on the Ebola! BCE do make good reading copies.

Gunslinger Apprentice Citizen of Lud is on a distinguished road Citizen of Lud's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too wanted to find out about the codes myself. I can tell you one thing that I have seen, I could be wrong because Ebay is not the authority in these things but early BCE books follow the same code structure as the 1st trades do. I would have to see if I can find the examples that I seen, but I saw listings on Ebay that were BCE copies as listed dust jackets had no price gutter codes listed a (1) letter followed by a two digit number. The listed gutter code did not match 1st ed gutter code was latter print dont know the physical size of the book (one thing I wish people would list) and the postings I had seen did not show the book with the cover off. If your BCE copies show a two letter beginning I would say they are very very late printings. I believe this to be true due to the fact that the ones I own that have double letter beginnings the pages dont look that old
    Looking For
    Dark Tower III through VII LSOE S/L or AE #1208
    Trade 1st/1st
    The Dead Zone
    Danse Macabre
    Cujo
    Carrie
    Firestarter
    Skeleton Crew
    Night Shift

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bump for our newer members.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I may have posted some of these years ago, but they are still provide interesting background information.

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/Gutter_code

https://www.bookthink.com/0005/05sfb.htm

https://www.statestreetbooks.com/gutter-codes
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

It’s funny you bumped this because I was literally thinking about it just today. My copies of Carrie, ‘Salem’s Lot, and Night Shift are all later printings from 1985-1986 (based on the AA42, BB1, and AA?? ((hidden in the binding)) gutter codes), but I’ve always wondered if there was any way to know which printing the books were. I’m guessing the answer is no, but does anyone happen to know if that’s something Doubleday tracked or information that’s available somewhere?

It doesn’t really matter—I got them all for next to nothing and don’t plan on selling them until unless I can replace them with first printings—but I’ve always just been curious about it. I’m guessing Carrie and ‘Salem’s Lot at least had been reprinted many times in the ~10 years before my copies rolled off the press, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Night Shift was a somewhat lower printing.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about burgerhicks80 has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

why does the word gutter have the spoiler block over it?
    ISO DT I-IV #101, rage,Suntup Press Horns, Rosemary's Baby and The Road w/designation #239

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by burgerhicks80 View Post
    why does the word gutter have the spoiler block over it?
    Where? Did you search for the word gutter? If so, the highlight color for the main site theme is the same color as the text so it blocks out the word.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Did you search for the word gutter? If so, the highlight color for the main site theme is the same color as the text so it blocks out the word.
    I always thought that was one hell of an odd way to display search results.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3